I've finalised a play list for the Macca comp (below), though I've not got time at the moment to source everything and compile it, if anyone else fancies doing it could they upload a link for it once done please. No idea if this is longer than a CD, but at around 25 tracks I thought it was at least a CD friendly number of tunes. Obviously I could have made a mega box set of everything that was potentially valid, but I just wanted to make a playlist of a selection that would make the point stylistically. I've added the original and some reissue info if that helps.
McCartney 'Sent Me'
1. Badfinger – No Matter What (No Dice LP, Apple 1970)
2. Alan Merrill - Tranquilty (Merrill 1 LP Japan Columbia 1972)
3. The Key – I’d Really Go For A Lady (Fit Me In LP, EMI Electrola West Germany
4. Emit Rhodes – With My Face On The Floor (Emit Rhodes LP ABC Dunhill 1970)
5. The Aerovons – She’s Not Dead (The Aerovons 1969, 2002 WL LP / 2003 RPM CD)
6. Hollins Ferry – Take My Love (Hollins Ferry LP Port City Records 1977)
7. Rocking Horse – Yes It Is (Rocking Horse LP Phillips1971 / 2004 Revola CD)
8. We Altogether – Ozzy (We Altogether II LP Mag LP 1974, Lazarus CD 1997)
9. The Dodgers – Don’t Let Me Be Wrong (A side single, Island, 1976)
10. Tom Hartman – A Little More (B side single ‘Sunshine Woman’, Bell 1971)
11. Stackbridge – Fundamentally Yours (The Man In The Bowler Hat LP, MCA 1974, Angel
Air CD 2007)
12. Klaatu – Sub Rosa Subway (from Klaatu LP Capitol 1976)
13. Andy Partridge – The Art Song (Something Good With Your Life) (Fuzzy Warbles
14. The Flame – Don’t Worry Bill (The Flame LP Brother Records 1970)
15. Tommy Evans and Rod Roach – The Rain (Over You: The Final Tracks CD)
16. The Tremeloes – Me And My Life (single A side, CBS 1970)
17. Colours – Helping You Out (Colours LP, Dot, 196
18. Grapefruit – Lullaby (from Deep Water, RCA1969 LP / Repertoire CD 2005)
19. Octopus – I Say (Restless Night Penny Farthing LP, 1971, Revola CD 2006)
20. Tranquility – Thank You (Tranquiltiy LP, Epic 1972)
21. The Dodgers – Get To You (B side single, Island 1976)
22. Klaatu – For You Girl (A side compiled on Sun Set: 1973-81 Bullseye Canada 2xCD,
23. Hudson Brothers – With Somebody Else (Ba-Fa, Rocket Record Co 1973 LP)
24. Colours – I Think Of Her (She’s On My Mind) (Colours LP, Dot, 196
25. Tony Hazzard – Paul McCartney (Was That All Right Then?, Bronze LP, 1973)
as the final track because it’s about Hazzard’s inability to write songs as good
as McCartney rather than being a song in McCartney’s style .
I agree Joe, but I think overall it is a novel way to end the comp with someone overtly opining their admiration for but inability to imitate McCartney, having listened to 24 examples of other people doing it!