Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ronnie Burns

Hi Joe,

must confess I not that familiar with Mr Burns but I enjoyed "Smiley" on Youtube. Unfortunately that Lp is not cheap and there doesn't appear to be a cd comp. Is the Virgo LP any good?

Hey Paul,

I only know that first record on Spin records from 1967 and haven't investigated further. Being the Bee Gees fan that I am, especially of those first five albums (but later ones too...) I figured I had to hear an album that is pretty heavy on the Gibb covers. Sort of like the Johnny Young "Surprises" album that way, but I have had no luck finding that one. I was wondering myself if the Virgo album is worth a spin. Check out "Exit Stage Right" by Ronnie Burns on Youtube, another Gibb song from that first album that really works.

Great track Joe,

but you just can't beat those early Bee Gees LPs - esp. the first 3 IMHO.

I think my favourite Gibbs Bros cover is this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r3hwSgE04w

very few artists could do them justice, but Dusty did.

Re: Ronnie Burns/Brothers Gibb

Not heard Ronnie Burns albums but have a few tracks featured on 60s comps,which i thoroughly enjoy.The brothers Gibb were fantastic songwriters and many of their songs have been covered by so many artists,im sure it would be a big list!!There are a couple of legit cds that feature artists who covered their songs,i have one that came out by Sanctuary many years ago,but its stored away at the moment,but im sure theres been a more recent one featuring the same idea.I love Bee gees First,Horizontal,Idea and the album that caused a rift amongst the brothers "Odessa",resulting in the late Robin Gibb to go solo,theres a collection of his solo recordings including an unreleased album"Sing Slowly Sisters" which was released in a package of Robin Gibbs solo recordings"Saved By The Bell"which is a treble cd with a lot of good stuff and all in great sound quality,not all is to my taste to be honest,but well worth having and featured in a very attractive way,beautiful package and i dont think is too expensive either!!I still wish that my favourite Gibb brother the late Maurice gets his unreleased solo album out in the digital age...but it aint looking promising!!Back to "Odessa",maybe im being silly but i look upon this album as their progressive album,eclectic all the way through with some of their best work in my opinion.A real majestic double album,the velvet package triple clamshell cd of this has some real bloody great stuff,and some real interesting works in progress.I dont think they came close after "Odessa"turning into the 70s,but a package of those next 3 early 70s albums with extras like the first 3 UK 60s albums that came out a few year ago released by Reprise would be great to have.Maybe im getting gluttonis but i honestly rate them up their with The Beatles,fantastic songwriters,so its no surprise they were covered by so many other artists it was frightening!!I absolutely love the 60s era of their stuff and no matter how often i play them i never tire of them!!As for the disco era later in the 70s,some brilliant songs and very funky,but not really a huge fan of this era mainly,but loand behold some great pop that just make you wanna dance,its a shame they seemed to get ridiculed by the likes of Kenny Everett(kenny was right about one thing,he championed the Idle Race in the late 60s),and who can forget the 3 brothers walking out of an interview by Clive Anderson who basically called them tossers on the uk tv channel 4 many years ago.Sorry to waffle on but they are certainly one of my favourite group from the 60s.

If you'd like to read about Ronnie Burns, or just about any other Australian band from a similar era you might like to check out this site.

milesago.com

Yeah Stu, they wrote a lot of good songs most certainly. And that Milesago site is worth checking out, Mr. Wisdom. The Robin Gibb stuff is a bit odd, and Maurice seems to have been responsible for a lot of the great music, but I'm also imoressed by the Barry Gibb "The Kid's No Good" recordings as well as all the songs on "A Kick in the Head is Worth Eight in the Pants", which should have been released at the time. Plenty has been said about those nice Rhino reissues which really did things right...
Cool Dusty cover, Paul, and I also like this one a lot:

Hi all,

great posts - but also just wanted to mention the P.P.Arnold Barry Gibb connection (see below)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7882318/pp-arnold-lost-album-barry-gibb-eric-clapton

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-07/pp-arnold-releases-debut-album-after-50-year-delay/9021892

http://www.albumism.com/news/pp-arnold-to-unearth-lost-album-the-turning-tide

Spot on Paul,just received the unreleased recordings from the wonderful P.P. Arnold titled"The Turning Tide"which features stuff written by Barry Gibb and also produced tracks for her too!!Tracks produced by Eric Clapton and Caleb Quaye are featured on this fine cd release as well!!Its taken many years for those recordings to be put out,the story is told in the liners,but make sure you wear strong specs as i found it tough reading as the writings so small,its not a jubilee case with a booklet,its a digipak but not with a booklet!!I just wanted to recommend this cd,some great soul and wow!!what a mighty voice!!And features a whos who of late 60s performers involved tn this!!