UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PENTANGLE BOX SET.

jUST GOT THIS TODAY OFF THEIR ALBUMS AND PLENTY BONUS TRACKS SPLIT ON EVERY CD,VERY NICE BOX WITH A CRACKING BOOKLET,ALL TASTEFULLY DONE!!BUT WHAT HAS IMPRESSED ME IS THE SOUND ,I'VE HEARD THE FIRST ALBUM CONTAINED IN CD1 SOUNDS BRILLIANT CLEAR AND PUNCHY,READY IM PLAYING A LATER ALBUM"SOLOMON'S SEAL"FROM 1972,TO MY EARS THIS HAS NEVER SOUNDED BETTER,HEAR THE STRINGS OF THE GUITARS BEING PICKED OUT,GOOD STUFF!!

ANYONE ELSE GOT ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THIS SET?I DO HAVE THE LAST BOX SET"THE TIME HAS COME"WHICH I LOVE TOO,BUT CAN THERE BE MANY MORE RECORDINGS FROM THE VAULTS LEFT/IF THERE IS HALLELUJAH!!!!THEY WERE A VERY TALENTED BUNCH,WHO MIXED SO MANY ECLECTIC INFLUENCES,THE OBVIOUS EXAMPLES ARE THE EASTERN SOUNDING TRACKS WITH SITAR PLAYED BY MR RENBOURN,AND A REAL INFLUENCE OF JAZZ THROUGHOUT ALL THERE ALBUMS.BUT OF COURSE FOLK IS THE MAIN PLAYER BUT DONE WITH CLASS AND ORIGINALITY.

WELL WORTH A PUNT!!!!

SORRY IVE SHOUTED ON THIS MESSAGE,OLDER FINGERS DONT MOVE SO GOOD THE NOW.IM A ONE FINGER KEYBOARD LEARNER(after having a pc for many years)!!!!IM HOPELESS!!!

Re: PENTANGLE BOX SET.

I've always had a soft spot for Pentangle, as it was the very first record I bought (a present to a friend, together with Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello, as I couldn't buy a record player till 1980, sigh!). It was also the very first prog folk band I saw on Italian TV, in 1972/73 and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see them live, on their very last tour with all five original members... Terry Cox had even a broken leg then! That said, can't spend that money for this box at the moment. I'll try to sell the old cds maybe and let's see ;)

Re: PENTANGLE BOX SET.

Seems to be a really excellent box set by your recommendations. Great to hear remastering/?remixing has improved the sound - I've had some bad experiences of remastering totally destroying the feel and the sound of the original. I had to search for ages to get the original recording of the Mothers Of Invention's We're Only In It For The Money album, as the 'remastered' rerelease sounded bloody horrible to me!
Same with Pearls Before Swine's amazing album The Use Of Ashes [probably my most favourite album of all time] - totally wrecked by the fool who remastered and remixed and ruined it, putting the xylaphone notes much too loud and distracting from Tom Rapp's wonderful lyrics on the song 'Tell Me Why'.
Shame that I also can't consider buying this due to my financial circumstances!