UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Randy California - Kapt. Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds 1972

Not been too much genuine psychedelic stuff here lately, so may I present Kaptain Kopter and the Fabulous Twirly Birds, who are Randy California [born Randy Craig Wolfe] of Spirit with Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and other friends. The stage name "Randy California" was given to him by Hendrix.

[The Spirit albums 'The Family That Plays Together' and 'Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus' are 2 of my personal all time favourites.]

Randy was 15 years old when Chas Chandler invited him to come to England with his friend Jimi Hendrix to be part of the Experience. His parents wouldn't let him go. [Memories flood back of a 15 years old Steve's parents stopping me from attending the Isle of Wight festival!]
Jimi's influence shines through Randy's cosmic guitar playing, and for this album, the story goes that he came to England following the death of Jimi and recorded this album in an LSD and class A drug fuelled whirlwind ending with him jumping into the Thames in a 'semi-psychotic suicide bid'.
Randy really did nearly kill himself to produce this awesome album. Groove along with his covers of the Beatles 'Daytripper' and Paul Simon's 'Mother & Child Reunion' and the wonderful original sounds here too.

"The devoted artist is willing to sacrifice everything for his art." - Steve H.

There's also another related album - the wonderfully weird album 'The Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy in Potato Land' which was recorded by Randy California and Ed Cassidy during 1973/74. Highly recommended and well worth checking out if you really want psychedelic music and not silly 60's pop music.

All Things Must Pass Away and sadly, Randy drowned in the Pacific Ocean in 1997 at the age of 45 while rescuing his 12 year-old son from a rip current. His son Quinn survived.