Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early Sweet / Brian Connolly CD?

Paul Martin
Thanks for that Mark, that will do nicely!

Paul
You're welcome Paul... let me know if you have any problem tracking it down.

By the way, on the topic of The Sweet, is the new Sensational Sweet box an improvement on the 2005 Sony / BMG cd's soundwise? I've read on the Steve Hoffman Forum that they're brickwalled.

Well, I always regard the Hoffman post opinions as an extreme examples. I really don't know how those guys can bear to listen to anything at all given how they seem to find audio faults in everything!

I have the Sensational Sweet box set and I think it's excellent. I have a little Bose portable CD player and it gives a good full sound. If you have a sophisticated audiophile set up maybe that would highlight things mine doesn't. All I can say is that to my (admittedly aging) ears, it sounds an aural joy. Any Sweet fan who wants the Brian Connolly years in one 5" place need only get this set. It has a good booklet as well.

I have the Japanese mini LP CD box set that came out last year of Sweet's US issued albums. A very nice package in itself but rather like how the Beatles were oriignally issued in the USA a dog's dinner in terms of the time frame and release order. The 'Sensational Sweet'set puts that all in its orignal order. The only odd thing is that the singles disc starts with the last 45 thay did and ends with first on RCA so plays from 1978-71!

It does include BBC recorded versions of some of the 1968-69 tunes but not the actual 45s which is why I was looking for the Repertoire disc. I also bought the 4 x CD 'The Polydor Albums' box set that repats 'Level Headed' and adds the three final post-Brian Connolly abums which is very good sound.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

BTW - I have both 'Desolation Boulevard' and 'Sweet Fanny Adams' in the 2005 BMG CD formats with the era singles added. I always liked them as well sound wise and I guess they are on a par with the box, loud but clear. Others might think them 'brickwalled'.

PM:blush:

Paul Martin
Well, I always regard the Hoffman post opinions as an extreme examples. I really don't know how those guys can bear to listen to anything at all given how they seem to find audio faults in everything!

I have the Sensational Sweet box set and I think it's excellent. I have a little Bose portable CD player and it gives a good full sound. If you have a sophisticated audiophile set up maybe that would highlight things mine doesn't. All I can say is that to my (admittedly aging) ears, it sounds an aural joy. Any Sweet fan who wants the Brian Connolly years in one 5" place need only get this set. It has a good booklet as well.

I have the Japanese mini LP CD box set that came out last year of Sweet's US issued albums. A very nice package in itself but rather like how the Beatles were oriignally issued in the USA a dog's dinner in terms of the time frame and release order. The 'Sensational Sweet'set puts that all in its orignal order. The only odd thing is that the singles disc starts with the last 45 thay did and ends with first on RCA so plays from 1978-71!

It does include BBC recorded versions of some of the 1968-69 tunes but not the actual 45s which is why I was looking for the Repertoire disc. I also bought the 4 x CD 'The Polydor Albums' box set that repats 'Level Headed' and adds the three final post-Brian Connolly abums which is very good sound.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:
Yeah, I do know what you mean about the Hoffman Forum... even when raving about a release (the new Rhino Handmade 'More of the Monkees' for example), it doesn't take long for all the praise to shift to complaints and whining about sound issues and lost opportunities... sigh.

Anyway, thanks for your input Paul - I had my finger on the button since the pre-order was announced, but kept hesitating for one reason or another. I ordered it yesterday for £38 - a steal I think?
I'm really looking forward to hearing these now!
Thanks again...

£38 is a good price. I pre-ordred mine for day or relase delivery for about £52 I think. BTW, the:slightly_smiling_face: singles disc is over 85 minutes long! Making use of the 'over-burn' facility presumably.

PM