UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David Bowie's first demo found in bread bin - I'll Never Change

Wow! 12 seconds of the demo that goes to auction in September. “I Never Dreamed” features a 16-year-old David Jones singing lead for his first band, the Konrads. At that point, Bowie was primarily a saxophonist, but was taped to sing lead for the demo. “There is no other recording of the demo featuring David as lead in existence,” said Konrads drummer David Hadfield, who discovered the demo in a bread basket that belonged to his grandfather.
The 55-year-old recording is expected to fetch £10,000 ($13,000) when it goes to auction in September.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/david-bowies-first-demo-found-in-bread-basket-brea.html
From the very brief clip, I think you'll agree it's not a bad first effort and much superior to his Anthony Newley impersonations that he recorded a bit later - I think for Decca if my memory serves me well.
In case you are wondering - yes. The bread was stale. Very stale.
[:smile:
The demo was rejected by both Decca and the Rolling Stones manager.
I seem to remember Decca made a similar bad choice and rejected the Beatles.

Re: David Bowie's first demo found in bread bin - I'll Never Change

Why did Bowie do that Newley rubbish? I've always wondered

I am quite fond of his first album.

Hi everyone.
If you meant the 1969 selftitled album Mr Flaxton, I can't say I like it, but 2 years later a very different selftitle album hit the record shops, released in USA as Man of Words/Man of Music, rereleased as Space Oddity in 1972. The first track on that album remains a much respected and iconic song to this day, but the mish-mash of styles of music making up the rest of the album indicate David was yet to find his true musical direction.

Exactly one year later we saw the release of The Man Who Sold the World and Bowie cemented a wider fanbase, securing much radio play and establishing the first of many shades of music the diamond dog chameleon would use.

As for that Newley inspired stuff he did Phil, I can only guess he was yet to get turned on and inspired by psychedelics. His record company wanted him to become an all-round entertainer, rather than a folk or rock act and it seems he listened to his record company paymaster's voice until he grew in confidence and creative ability.

Steve, he made an album in 1967 called David Bowie. Mostly orchestrated but I like it, I like the 1969 album also.

Flaxton
Steve, he made an album in 1967 called David Bowie. Mostly orchestrated but I like it, I like the 1969 album also.
That was the one I meant. His first album. I got the year wrong! The second album, also just called David Bowie, was released in 1969.

Aah, the old David Bowie demo hidden in the bread basket trick. Sounds like something out of Get Smart.

Mr Wisdom 's Whopper
Aah, the old David Bowie demo hidden in the bread basket trick. Sounds like something out of Get Smart.
Well, maybe I'm a bit gullible. If the demo's a fake, no rich collector will be fooled, as it's possible to use technology to distinguish between someone's real voice and even a very good impersonator.
If it's fake, I guess some people have too much time on their hands and nothing better to do!