UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown super deluxe on October 26th

On Cherry Red - see pictures on their website:
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/the-crazy-world-of-arthur-brown-deluxe-3-cd-1-lp-boxset/

Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CRAZY-WORLD-ARTHUR-BROWN-DELUXE/dp/B07GJ4JRN7/ref=sr_1_46?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1535197010&sr=1-46&keywords=cd+box+set&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin%3A382528011

PM

From Cherry Red web page:

Back in summer 1968, THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN were on top of the world. Famously promoted by performances with Arthur Brown wearing a burning helmet, ‘Fire!’ was a massive worldwide hit, topping the charts in the UK and Canada and eventually reaching the Top 10 in America (No. 2), France, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands and Ireland. The band’s second single on Track Records, co-produced by The Who’s Pete Townshend, it bridged the gap between London’s flourishing, colourful psychedelic underground and the mainstream pop scene.

The resulting album, THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN, was a theatrical, ambitious concept album based around the elements (fire being just one of four, of course). Such was the huge impact of ‘Fire’ that the album sold in huge quantities, peaking at No. 2 in the UK and No. 7 in America. The Beatles were the only other British band to enjoy such unprecedented sales with such ambitious, psychedelic LPs.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of this landmark record, Cherry Red are delighted to present this deluxe edition box set of THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN. Alongside the stereo album and numerous bonus tracks, the rare Mono mix appears on CD for the first time, as well as three additional, previously unissued BBC sessions and four other radio recordings, plus a handful of pre-Track recordings by Arthur Brown before he formed Crazy World…

Millions of people discovered the delights of ARTHUR BROWN, rock’s supreme showman, and his influence would be felt the following decade when ALICE COOPER acknowledged his debt to Arthur’s genius.

Lavishly packaged within a 12” x 12” box set, and complete with a stereo vinyl replica of the original LP and a poster, THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN is augmented by a 12,000- word sleeve-note from Mojo magazine’s Mark Paytress (including fresh quotes from Arthur and others), alongside a wealth of illustrations and three previously unissued photos from the original front cover session.

Arthur will be promoting this landmark reissue with a raft of promotion – and watch this space for news of an exciting anniversary show!

DISC ONE:
STEREO MIX – PLUS!
1. PRELUDE — NIGHTMARE
2. FANFARE — FIRE POEM
3. FIRE
4. COME AND BUY
5. TIME
6. CONFUSION
7. I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
8. SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION
9. REST CURE
10. I’VE GOT MONEY
11. CHILD OF MY KINGDOM

BONUS TRACKS
12. DEVIL’S GRIP (Mono A-Side)
13. GIVE HIM A FLOWER (Mono B-Side)
14. FIRE (Mono A-Side)
15. REST CURE (Mono B-Side)
16. NIGHTMARE (German Mono A Side, Single-Track Vocal Edit)
17. WHAT’S HAPPENING (alias Music Man) (Mono B-Side)
18. FIRE (Stereo Single Edit)

DISC TWO:
MONO MIX – PLUS!
1. PRELUDE — NIGHTMARE
2. FANFARE — FIRE POEM
3. FIRE
4. COME AND BUY
5. TIME
6. CONFUSION
7. I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
8. SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION
9. REST CURE
10. I’VE GOT MONEY
11. CHILD OF MY KINGDOM

BONUS TRACKS
12. FIRE (First Version)
13. WHAT’S HAPPENING (alias Music Man) (Stereo Mix)
14. PRELUDE — NIGHTMARE (Alternative Mono Mix)
15. FANFARE — FIRE POEM (Alternative Mono Mix)
16. FIRE (Alternative Mono Mix)
17. COME AND BUY (Alternate Mono Mix)
18. TIME (Alternative Mono Mix)
19. CONFUSION (Alternative Mono Mix)
20. NIGHTMARE (From The Film “The Committee”)

DISC THREE
BBC RADIO SESSIONS
1. I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
2. FIRE POEM — FIRE
3. CHILD OF MY KINGDOM
4. COME AND BUY
5. ARTHUR BROWN INTERVIEW WITH BRIAN MATTHEW
6. SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION OTHER RADIO SESSIONS
7. NIGHTMARE
8. I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
9. FIRE
10. SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION PRE-TRACK RECORDINGS
11. BABY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING
12. DON’T TELL ME
13. THE GREEN BALL
14. YOU DON’T KNOW

LP:
SIDE ONE
1. PRELUDE — NIGHTMARE
2. FANFARE — FIRE POEM
3. FIRE
4. COME AND BUY
5. TIME
6. CONFUSION

SIDE TWO
1. I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
2. SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION
3. REST CURE
4. I’VE GOT MONEY
5. CHILD OF MY KINGDOM

Re: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown super deluxe on October 26th

That’s a lot of Arthur. Lol.

Personally I think you would have to really really really love any artist to want to about four or five different versions, outtakes, demos, etc of a particular song.

Amazing! Obsessive fans of their specially favoured artists will intuitively understand the attraction and necessity of possessing a collection like this.
I've always been in awe of Arthur Brown and the artists in his Crazy World - especially the master keyboard player and musical arranger Vincent Crane. Before the death of the last external hard drive I had pretty much everything by him and conected to his band, like all the Rare Bird recordings.
I just read on wikipedia - 'Crane died of a deliberate overdose of Anadin tablets in 1989 at age 45.'
Shit. He had manic depession [now relabelled by the shrinks with the more user-friendly tag as 'bi-polar'.]
https://vimeo.com/159406177
Sympathy.
'Cause there's not enough love to go round.
Yeah.

Rare Bird? Vincent Crane was in Atomic Rooster, along with another great in John Du Cann-ex Attack, Andromeda.
Do you mean them?

Thanks for correcting me, Greg! I used to listen to both bands records and see them at festivals and seem to recall I often got Atomic Rooster and Rare Bird mixed up. The song 'Sympathy' remains an all time favourite of mine.

Easily done Steve.

I was always a sucker for a good album cover and remember listening to Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You after I saw the cover. I'd never come across William Blake before.
Bought it of course plus their others except for when Chris Farlowe joined them as vocalist. Different sound that lost me a bit there.