UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fickle Pickle 'A Complete Pickle' 3CD boxset
Re: Fickle Pickle 'A Complete Pickle' 3CD boxset

Nice to see the track lists at last, though it's £4 cheaper on Amazon. Stil ldoesn't give any clue about its packaging, clam box, slip case, ghastly fat jewel case etc.

PM:neutral_face:

I'm sure you already have it Paul, but just in case you don't you'll be happy to know it's not a ghastly fat jewel case (hooray!). A four panel fold-out - three for the discs and the fourth for the 24 page booklet.
Nice packaging and great sound so far... I'm really enjoying it.

Next up - The Action 'Shadows & Reflections'! (It's been another good week for my ears)

Thanks Mark, yes I have recently finished giving it all a first listen. I think Disc 1 follows pretty much what is on the older Sanctuary CD, the album and non-albums singles / B sides. Disc 2 is a real joy, 25 more Badfinger sounding tracks other than the last two which are from a slightly later period and are instantly skipable, (on eis an awkard sounding funk number and th other is a kind of cod reggae thing as might be rendered by 10.cc) but the rest is fantastic. There's a couple of pretty good psych rock nukmbers on there as well. I also enjoyed the third disc of the live in the rehersal room prep for the Dutch tour, real ghost in the machine stuff. The booklet is of course detailed and expands on that in the older Jewel case CD. So if anyone was wondering if it was worth getting this expanded package if you already have the older version, then yesit is, disc 2 especially is like a part 2 of the first disc sin tone and quality. As you say Mark, very nice fold out digipak with neat slots for discs and no nasty clip trays.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

By the way- on The Action 'Shadows and Reflections' 4 x CD, I really like having everything by The Action in one place. Right from their Decca demos and their debut waxing as The Boys and into the Rolled Gold era; backing tracks, alt takes etc they all sound great. It even has a lot of the old Edsel mixes from 'Action Packed' CD added on. The only other stand alone Action CD apart from Reg KIng's solo album (and Mighty Baby) I need to keep now is the 2 x CD set Circle Records put out with the live reunion gig disc (from the 80s). Not on best form, but nonetheless a great historical ajunct to their 60s legacy.:slightly_smiling_face:

PM

Thanks Paul. I am a fan of Reggie King's solo album as well.

Re:Reggie King-Looking for a Dream(2nd circle records cd)

Hello Greg,theres also a second Reggie King cd released by Circle Records titled"Looking For A Dream"released in 2012,featuring recordings pre Regs official solo album,the recordings on this cd were mainly done in March 1969,though some were done as early as 1968!!While the official solo album was released in 1971."Looking for a Dream"recordings feature the likes of Gary Farr,Kevin Westlake(blossom toes),fellow ex Action members and mighty baby members Ian Whiteman,Martin Stone and Mike Evans amongst others play on this.Its a different beast from the one and only released solo album from Reg!!It really is an enjoyable listen and interesting too as many were recorded between The Actions "Rolled Gold"demos and the formation of Mighty Baby.Well worth investigation if you've not dipped your toes into the water as yet!!

Re: Re:Reggie King-Looking for a Dream(2nd circle records cd)

Yes Stuart, know this one and you're right it is different to the self titled album. He really did have one of the great voices of his time.
It's a bit expensive but the The Action-In The Lap Of The Mods is a really good read.