Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Real Fleetwood Mac

YES.
Peter Green - Baby When The Sun Goes Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSG3DO4jRY
What you think?
I reckon dimethaltryptamine1's comment says it all.

Re: The Real Fleetwood Mac

Great track but I preferred this live track its so good I can taste it
Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJHKzKyLxqE

Such a good title-The REAL Fleetwood Mac. What a guitarist. Loved this era of the band. The dvd, The Peter Green Story-The man Of The World is very interesting and somewhat sad at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

https://youtu.be/FImDcYZA83A

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know at least a couple out of all the watchers and lurkers have minds to have a view and let it be known!
Glad we don't all like exactly the same things. It'd be boring if we all thought and liked the same things.
Nice to find people with similar tastes.
It's sure 'nough the REAL Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac!

Thanks Gregg for the film link info. Ill definitely need to watch it.
Sadness is OK between the happiness.

I will have to watch this myself. Too right. The REAL Fleetwood Mac. 😀

Ha, Greg! You've maybe written [or are thinking about it] a book - you could call it something like 'How to make friends and easily confuse people' ... just joking, mate, but I thought you'd given us links to the film. Silly old Steve! ;o)
Great songs though. No. Fantastic songs. You got a link to that film?
Cheers,
Steve.

If like it was for me, this is previously unexperienced footage of Peter's Fleetwood Mac, I think you'll enjoy it:

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Live 1968-70

Here's some info Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12OogNvefA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZJCLce1cY

And thanks for that link-Great!

The album and then play on is a marvellous album. Peter green at his peek, just before the mental meltdown.the documentary film you mention is very good. Peter green comes over as a sweet humble gentle and modest human being. He gave loads of his royalties away, and in his time in Fleetwood Mac tried to get his band mates to give so much of their royalties too. Major respect for the man!! His solo album the end of the game is very good with scorching guitar and top songwriting, released just after he left Fleetwood Mac. He also plays on Pete bardens album the answer from 1970, which is a little mentioned gem of a psych/prog artefact.

Bit strange that this thread comes up now cos just yesterday a record-collector friend of mine was recommending me the first lp and the first solo after I was dissing "Rumours".

I know VERY little, if anything of Fleetwood Mac, new or old.

So this morning I played the first "End of the Game" solo lp (with sabre tooth tiger on cover). My mate said I would love this since I'm into fusion and all-instrumental.

I could only play about 15 minutes - was Fleetwood the BASSIST ??? cos the first 10 minutes or so is just friggen boring bass soloing. Then a drum solo starts up and at this point I dismissed the whole thing and went to something else.

I tried the "81?? solo lp (with winterscape cover art ) which was also recommended me. Consensus....fuggit. If this is the best of Peter Green, you can keep it.

I couldn't get into Peter Green's solo stuff but enjoy their early output. They were definitely a blues based band early on but by the time of Then Play On they were starting to be more influenced by the West Coast sounds, with longer tracks.
Some of their great tracks like Man Of The World, Oh Well and Green Manalishi were never on an album possibly because this was around the time that Peter Green was falling apart.

Later reissues of Then Play On included Oh Well.

Well Stuart, Thank you, thank you, thank you!
My views on 'Then Play On' are poles apart from yours, mate. I see it as the time when Peter escaped from a crazy commercial cocaine and booze fueled rockstar money-worshipping machine that his beloved band was morphing into. Peter was a psychedelic music god at this time,his creative energy leaping light years ahead of his time and his bandmates. Hendrix said he was the best blues guitarist in the world. Don't see how you could get a better recommendation than that!
A million smiles and thanks for pointing out The End of the Game - you've turned me on to one I never knew existed. It really re-enforces what Jimi had to say about him and anyone who just doesn't get it really will probably never 'get' very much ever, I suspect! To quote some of the praise-filled comments on youtube,

Darrylizer1 (edited)-
"I've always heard this album was supposed to be terrible?! Allmusic gave it one star, and completely missed the point. It's a free blowing jam session that speaks to the bands improvisational skills, which are pretty high in more ways than one, than to conventional compositions. It's got more in common with free jazz than the blues, rock or conventional pop music. It can get a bit outside and indulgent, but there's also some great acidic telepathy going on here much like the Grateful Dead at their late 60s best or early Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru or Amon Düül. I really like it!"
~ ~ ~
PhukIT1865 -
"It doesn't matter what the "experts" think. the same experts that told Van Gogh he didn't rate. Peter Green is a genius"
~ ~ ~

Rineke RobertsonvanDam -
"The Peter Green Experience... First track reminds me of what Hendrix was doing just before he died :-)"
~ ~ ~
Lair of the Mastermind (edited) -
" ....LSD is a powerful drug in that it magnifies reality before you and makes you realise some truths that you may not like - in Peter's case he saw at a magnified level, the greed in our world and he didn't like it, so he wanted to do something about it i.e give the bands royalties to charity. Sorry, but that's not crazy. That is honourable.. music wise he was still totally with it after the mythic Munich incident ...examples are on Live in Boston. Some of his finest playing and not without humour check rattlesnake shake.... The End of the Game, which, whether people get it or not is irrelevant, - jam music like that album was huge at that time - check Miles Davis Bitches Brew ...Pink Floyd'S Ummagumma or the German avant garde scene which inspired him ....Hendrix was moving in that direction too...his performance with John Mayall at the blues and jazz festival is stunning.... also all his collaborations ...basically his music was fine....was it the fact he wore robes and got religious? ....well maybe he was a latecomer but what did the beatles and the beachboys and many others do following LSD intake ...went to India and became religious. Maybe Pete's timing was wrong as most bands were strung out on smack by the time he got it.. His true problems began with ECT which he described as making his head feel like a brick and taking away his soul and continued with treatment until he figured out what was happening and quit the zombiefying medicine his doctor who was making a lot of money off him was plying him with.....by then the poor guy had missed half his life in a daze, bless him."

[complete with the slightly naff windows '95 autogenerated 'light show']

Nearly forgot to say thanks again to Stuart for reminding me of Pete Barden's album 'The Answer'. It's bloody excellent!

Hi Steve, it's always nice to turn someone onto something new, so that's made me happy mate. His first solo album very rarely gets a mention which is a shame!! As for then play on, Peter green at this time was giving his royalties away and I respect the man so much for that!! He had been on a drug taking rollercoaster and was jumping off that and quit Fleetwood Mac, unfortunately it was just too late as he was showing signs of serious mental ill health which wasn't helped by his drug consumption. The documentary goes fully into the story. But more than anything he seems to be a lovely caring human being and still very close to his family. That to me is the best thing a person can be. Yes a fantastic guitar player and songwriter, but he's been through hell and it's great to see he's come out the other end after many years of ill health a humble lovely person still!! As for Pete bardens the answer album,always been a fave of mine and very rarely mentioned in psych circles. Which I've never understood, Peter greens contributions are heavenly to my ears. After I watched the Peter green documentary on TV I raved about him on my Facebook page. He stated he never wanted to be part of the establishment and felt earning all the money he was just made him that. Look at the so called anti establishment 60s stars who have accepted knighthoods etc, to me I look upon them as a joke and it personally puts me right off them. But that's just my opinion on so called working class heroes who take the establishments schillings!!

Green Manalishi song
The song was written during Green's final months with the band, at a time when he was struggling with LSD and had withdrawn from other members of the band. While there are several theories about the meaning of the title "Green Manalishi", Green has always maintained that the song is about money, as represented by the devil. Green was reportedly angered by the other band members' refusal to share their financial gains.

Green has explained that he wrote the song after experiencing a drug-induced dream in which he was visited by a green dog which barked at him. He understood that the dog represented money. "It scared me because I knew the dog had been dead a long time. It was a stray and I was looking after it. But I was dead and had to fight to get back into my body, which I eventually did. When I woke up, the room was really black and I found myself writing the song." He also said that he wrote the lyrics the following day, in Richmond Park. Supposedly, he was unable to record Robert Johnson's "Hellhound on My Trail" following the incident, having conflated Johnson's hellhound with the green dog-demon of his dream.[citation needed] This is supported by his discography, in which Green's sole post-Manalishi cover of "Hellhound" was sung by bandmate Nigel Watson.

Producer Martin Birch recalled that Green was initially frustrated that he could not get the sound he wanted, but Kirwan reassured him that they would stay in the studio all night until the band got it right. Green said later that although the session left him exhausted, "Green Manalishi" was still one of his best musical memories. "Lots of drums, bass guitars ... Danny Kirwan and me playing those shrieking guitars together ... I thought it would make Number One."[wiki]

Everyone rants on about how good this "Albatross" track is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAefTj7GXwQ

Well, you know wot?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9an8AU3No

Classic, and his own vocoder thingy. So did Peter Frampton rip him off too?

Here's a man who knows something about the pedal steel!

https://youtu.be/VDaCazCoSZ0

"Everyone rants on about how good this "Albatross" track is."
Strange, that, innit? Don't you ever wonder why?
To quote a couple of people who have ears that see {in 3-d technicolour} and eyes that hear {in surround sound stereo}:

"THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN. IT'S ALL BEEN DONE BEFORE."

"It totally amazes me how some people just don't get it! Stevie Ray Vaughan insisted Peter Green was his inspiration to play and BB King said Peter Green was the only "White" player to make him cry. Reality check for some. Unlike most of the ego's of the time, Peter Green just allowed his guitar to do the talking. Yep Clapton is great same as Beck, Page, Iommi and - Joe Santriani posibly the most technically profficient of all, then there is Blackwood and Of course Gary Moore who again stated that Peter Green was his mentor/inspiration. So choose who you like but Legend is an often over used word. Peter Green was / is a total legend and if what happened hadn't of happened well who knows - All I know is when every one else of the above mentioned is grimacing to hit that note Peter just found it. A true Legend who is grateful for where he is."

Naturally, you don't 'get' it. But that's OK. Perhaps you never will.

Here's a man who knows something about the pedal steel!

https://youtu.be/VDaCazCoSZ0

Er, what's a comment about pedal steel guitar got to do with Peter Green or Albatross?

Anyway, seeing as you highjacked this post, for me this is how pedal steel guitar should be played: