UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thousand Euro CDr

I know there has been some discussion here before about the over-pricing of some rare CDs but over one thousand euro for a CDr? Ok, so each one came with an original drawing but it still seems a bit crazy.

https://www.discogs.com/Heather-Nova-The-First-Demos/release/7219224

Re: Thousand Euro CDr

Yes, looks bizarre! I don't think anyone actually paid it though. I guess if you are putting your own demos up for sale (as Discogs would otherwise not allow it as a CDR to be listed) you might be thinking this front-end loads any profit you will otherwise lose once someone buys a cdr and uploads it for streaming or whatever. Either that or it's a prank or on-line art type piece. I can't say I've heard of the artist. It is the sort of on-line 'installation' thing students would possibly do as an ironic comment on records / CDs etc as trophies rather than the artistic merit of the music so you never know!

PM:blush:

Heather Nova's early releases are hugely collectable and she has a fanatical following. She's also a respected artist. The equivalent a generation earlier would be Kate Bush pressing up twenty copies of her pre-EMI home demos and putting an original hand-drawing with each copy.

Right, only a CDR is so reproduceable, is it the hand drawing that gives it the price? as a piece of original art work from a widely respected musician I can see why that might work as they would be one-offs unlike the CDR. A vinyl record in an edition of a couple of dozen would be a different matter because even if you ripped it to the interent, there would still be the proper physical format in a small edition that the digital version would not be. An originating cdr would still be no different to any number of CDRs the content could be burned to once on the net. In any event I shall have to listen to some of Heather Nova's music and see what I have been missing. Do you recommend anything in particular?

PM

:slightly_smiling_face:

If you were one of twenty people in the entire world to own such a thing and had paid a hefty price for it, I'm not sure you'd be stupid enough to upload it! But as I said, each copy comes with an individual piece of art from the singer, so purchasers have something that is unique and, as she seems quite respected in the art world, might increase in value over time.

To be honest, I don't think you're missing much. What I've heard of her music, she's similar to a more ethereal Sheryl Crow. The difference is that a) she's not quite as successful as most of those AOR-type 90s female singer/songwriters, so there's more of a cult angle and b) she's drop-dead gorgeous.

Hi guys,

I came across it on the top 30 most expensive items sold in discogs marketplace for July.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/top-30-most-expensive-items-sold-in-discogs-marketplace-for-july-2018-2/

The original CDr was 250 euros on pledgemusic, while some of her original paintings were going for 400. Only one CDr has sold on Discogs- for 1100 euro. So great value as an investment, if that's your thing.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/heathernova

I suppose the old Seanfhocail (Irish proverb) applies;

An rud is annamh is iontach – That which is rare is wonderful