UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE ultimate Beatles psych song ?

Yes,Tomorrow Never Knows,Rain and Only a Northern Song. Trippy and wonderful but I would say that Strawberry Fields Forever is THE Beatles psychedelic masterpiece. Any thoughts?

Re: THE ultimate Beatles psych song ?

I think “It’s All Too Much”, while not better than “Strawberry Fields”or ‘I Am the Walrus”, may be my favorite psych excursion the Beatles took. It seems to anticipate the longer songs you get by Can or Gong, etc.

It's All too Much is a superb track. Am I right in thinking this was actually recorded in 1967 ? If so, would've loved to have seen this included in the MMT film.

I see things like 'ultimate', 'best', 'favourite' etc as being fluid states of mind.
Recently I listened to A Day in the Life, Fixing a Hole, Magical Mystery Tour, Blue Jade Way.
Some other time it will be I'm only sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Hey Bulldog, Nowhere Man, I'm Looking Through You etc etc.

All hopefully heard in the context of the complete works, neither trying to analyse nor judge it nor catagorise it and not in some spotify type pick 'n' mix bullshit way, like 'What psychedelic thing do i want to hear now? What's the best?
Just to be glad, for the song has no ending but is an unbroken chain. That's how it is to me, anyway.

StevesStuff
I see things like 'ultimate', 'best', 'favourite' etc as being fluid states of mind.
Recently I listened to A Day in the Life, Fixing a Hole, Magical Mystery Tour, Blue Jade Way.
Some other time it will be I'm only sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Hey Bulldog, Nowhere Man, I'm Looking Through You etc etc.

All hopefully heard in the context of the complete works, neither trying to analyse nor judge it nor catagorise it and not in some spotify type pick 'n' mix bullshit way, like 'What psychedelic thing do i want to hear now? What's the best?
Just to be glad, for the song has no ending but is an unbroken chain. That's how it is to me, anyway.
Wasn't quite sure how to phrase the title so it just happened to be ultimate but I see what you mean. But personally, I've always had my favourites, being the four I mentioned. Of course, I listen to my favourite Beatles tracks anyway, like your good self . I'll never ever tire of SFF and Tomorrow Never Knows. Utter brilliance. ✌️

Nice post Maurice and nice to read a new poster on the site I think our last new poster was young Steve

Yes, hi there Maurice,

For me-Tomorrow Never Knows and Across The Universe.

I'm pretty sure that Tomorrow Never Knows will appear in most if not all peoples list. Wonderful song. But Strawberry Fields Forever,well,does it for me. It's one of my favourite songs full stop.
Did I mention that it seems like the Let it Be film will be released in 2020 ? That must be cause for some celebration. 😀

one shed phil
Nice post Maurice and nice to read a new poster on the site I think our last new poster was young Steve
Can't believe it took me so long.

I remember hearing strawberry fields the first time getting ready for school when it was first released. Things were never the same after that. I was thirteen.

Flaxton
I remember hearing strawberry fields the first time getting ready for school when it was first released. Things were never the same after that. I was thirteen.
Funnily enough,I was thirteen too but this was in 76 when The Beatles singles were all re released. Strawberry Fields got me and has never left.