UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blues psych

Thinking about Steve's Fleetwood Mac postings I was wondering which album people think is the best Blues Psych LP? By that I don't mean straight ahead blues but LPs that mix the two styles. Fleetwood Mac (maybe more in tone) or Cream come to mind straight away but what about so called lesser lights such as Taste, Jaklin or The John Dummer Band? Any thoughts people?

Re: Blues psych

A good call, Paul. I couldn't really say anything is the best but the album that sprang back to my mind is John Mayall's Bluesbreakers 'Bare Wires' album from 1968 [Decca ‎– LK 4945], an album I owned as a youth and love dearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBszIuyMzfs

I'm not really too sure of something called blues psych myself Paul. It's not a genre that you can find too often imo. To me it's usually more one or the other. Psych/prog is easier to define I think.
In saying that some things that may fall into this category might be Blodwyn Pig, Fleetwood Mac-Then Play On, Jethro Tull-first three albums, Hard Meat-s/t, Steamhammer-Mk II.

Ha ha ha!
Sorry to break the news but there's nothing even vaguely psychedelic about jethro tull. As many of us experimenting youth in the 60's knew, ian anderson is a conman who pretended to be a wild, outrageous druggie on stage, with his pathetic and equally straight bandmembers.
Sure, he conned millions of music lovers and made a fortune from his fake act. He's a scumbag.
Don't believe me? Listen to the story from the charlatan himself in the film in my post "Top Ten Progressive Rock (British TV Documentary),Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull etc" by going to 44.56.
Enjoy!

PS. Later in the film, phil collins of genesis says "We just thought fuck it! Let's sell out."
Yeah.

I would say it would have to be people like Hendrix and Cream. Mixing psych and blues.