UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pink Floyd: Rare and Precious Diamonds - please add contributions!

John Peel session, Feb 1970. Nice version of one of my favs,Terrapin.

https://youtu.be/_AwnD0gNmJw

Frank Zappa played with Pink Floyd at the Actuel Festival, Mont de lnclus, Amougies, in Belgium on 25 October, 1969.
OK, so it's not the best peformance, but never-the-less, it's an incredible and historic musical crossroads where they met.
Interestingly, Frank is probably the only one on stage and in the audience who's not been taking drugs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9bn24rxrI

The Committee 1968.
The complete movie [really!] in stunning cinemascope and dolby surround sound [not really!] with the soundtrack by Pink Floyd and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, in superbly restored glorious monochrome with monophonic sound. [really!]

David Gilmour on Why He’s Selling 120 Guitars: ‘Everything Has Got to Go’
The Pink Floyd frontman will auction off his iconic Black Strat and other famous instruments for charity.

More than half a century after he joined Pink Floyd, David Gilmour will be auctioning off about 120 of the iconic guitars he played both with the band and on his solo releases. “Everything has got to go,” he jokes. “It’s the spring sale.”

The instruments that will be on the auction block at Christie’s New York headquarters this June include many of his signature instruments. He’ll be selling the Black Strat — a guitar he played on “Money,” “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” and “Comfortably Numb” and enough other songs that it has amassed a legacy worthy of its own book — as well as his Stratocaster with the serial number 0001, the 12-string he wrote “Wish You Were Here” on and the Ovation six-string he’s played “Comfortably Numb” on at almost every live performance he’s done.

“These guitars have been very good to me,” he tells Rolling Stone on a phone call from his home in England. “They’re my friends. They have given me lots of music. I just think it’s time that they went off and served someone else. I have had my time with them. And of course the money that they will raise will do an enormous amount of good in the world, and that is my intention.”

The auction’s proceeds will benefit Gilmour’s charitable foundation, which he’s been running for decades. “The money will be going to the larger needs of famine relief, homelessness and displacement of people throughout the world,” Gilmour says, adding that the charities are both global and U.K.-centric. “We are going to work on the best way and the best balance of making what this raises do as much good on this planet as it can.”

In addition to helping out those less fortunate than him, Gilmour sees the sale as a matter of cleaning house. In fact, he’s been planning on selling of chunks of his collection since at least around 1987’s A Momentary Lapse of Reason but hasn’t gotten around to it. “I didn’t want to get too ancient and have a whole stash of guitars sitting around doing nothing,” he says. “And frankly, too many of them are guitars I just don’t have time to play often enough. They will give joy to other people.”

~ the above is an exerpt from an article published on January 29, 2019 9:00AM ET at rollingstone.com, which is © Copyright 2018 Rolling Stone, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. I make no claim to the copyright of this extract which is posted here in accordance with the internationally recognised standards of fair useage. The full article which includes six links to wonderful video posts on youtube.com, can be found at https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/pink-floyd-david-gilmour-interview-guitar-charity-auction-779721/

A Saucerful Of Secrets

I came across the mono release [on vinyl, 29 Jun 1968 Columbia SX 6258 with a misprint on label 1] of A Saucerful Of Secrets, so now if anyone wants it - just ask and put your email here to send it to you as 320kbps mp3 files + artwork. Shared subject to the usual international fair usage terms.

There never was a vinyl or CD re-release of this, so treat your ears to hearing the recording as intended by Syd and his band, including his last song for the rest of the Floyd - 'Jugband Blues'.
There's also 2 bonus tracks now in HQ and remastered - Moonhead and The Embryo.

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear That I'm not here And I never knew we could be so thick And I never knew the moon could be so blue And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes And brought me here instead dressed in red And I'm wondering who could be writing this song I don't care if the sun don't shine And I don't care if nothing is mine And I don't care if I'm nervous with you I'll do my loving in the winter And the sea isn't green And I love the queen And what exactly is a dream And what exactly is a joke"
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The 1st album is available officially in mono, so treat your ears to that one too.

Pink Floyd - It's All Dark {1972}.
That's the title of this album wished into existence with the power of imagination, some investigatory research and a bit of good luck!

The original poster of this one says:
"I thought that I'd heard just about every version of the classic 'Dark Side Of The Moon' that I'd ever want to hear - the original vinyl, the CD, the live Wembley concert from 1974, remastered, remixed, and so on - but this album caught my eye when I stumbled on it...
... These are the notes from the CD:
'Dark Side Of The Moon', like most of Pink Floyd's 70's works, underwent a lot of transformations from its initial inception as a concept album early in 1972. After initially laying down demos for their future masterwork the band set out for their first British tour of 1972 in January and February. Fans were treated to the unveiling of the work at the opening night of the tour at Brighton Dome on January 20, heralding the debut performance of the album.

'Dark Side...' in those days was much more of a bluesy concept than the lush, layered career defining work that it became, and as the tour progressed solos changed and the piece began to be knocked into shape. What's been assembled on this disc is a hybrid of the album in its embryonic state, from the earliest demos to the legendary and until now never circulated 'One Side Of The Moon' tape which had only ever been heard by a handful of Floyd devotees. Legend has it that when the album was remastered in the 90's the engineers broke for lunch leaving the tape on. One employee realised that he had only 30 minutes before they returned, and ran off a copy of side 2 with all the faders pushed to the max, to leave an unedited version complete with instrumental passages, second guitars and sax solos that had been removed from the final version."

Track listing:

01 Speak To Me (Mason) London, Rainbow Theatre 20 Feb 1972
02 Breathe (Waters/Gilmour/Wright) London, Rainbow Theatre 20 Feb 1972
03 On The Run (Gilmour/Waters) Studio Outtake Nov 1972
04 Time (Waters/Wright/Gilmour/Mason)/Breathe (Reprise) (Waters/Gilmour/Wright) Demo Jun 1972
05 The Mortality Sequence (Waters/Gilmour/Wright) London, Rainbow Theatre 20 Feb 1972

06 Money (Waters) Alternate Mix 1972
07 Us And Them (Waters/Wright) Alternate Mix 1972
08 Any Colour You Like (Gilmour/Mason/Wright) Alternate Mix 1972
09 Brain Damage (Waters) Alternate Mix 1972
10 Eclipse (Waters) Alterate Mix 1972

There's been a few versions of this album circulated, sometimes called 'One Side of the Moon', 'The Great Gig In The Sky' [Silent Sea SSR 41925] and now 'It's All Dark'.

Further info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pinkfloyd/comments/4ij4v0/one_side_of_the_moon_bootleg_help/

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=176

You should be able to find this one yourself if you try.