UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CD glitches - are they increasing?

Clearly you are listening to way too much punk/new wave Paul. Return to the psych fold and all your CDs will play better, honest. :smiley: :laughing:

No glitches so far, but you mean on old 80s cds or new ones? In the first case it could be, I remember reading many years ago on this subject, that even CDs had a limited life

No Gian, these are all new ones made within the last year. It feels like too many orders at the pressing plant and not enough quality control a the label. These are all faults that ned not have happened.

PM

Yes, The Kinks box is due in a fortnight so that'll help!

Yes Kinks will definitely sort you out Paul:smile:

But seriously, I have had the occosional CD that skips but generally they are second hand ones that have been mistreated somewhere along the line. But don't get me started on LPs - I've opened new original 60s still-in-shrink albums with more snap crackle and pop that a Kellogs cereal factory. But I've also had vinyl that looks like its only good for the recycling bin that plays very well! So go figure :face_with_rolling_eyes: :thinking_face:

Paul Martin
No Gian, these are all new ones made within the last year. It feels like too many orders at the pressing plant and not enough quality control a the label. These are all faults that ned not have happened.

PM
Have you checked your CD player? I had these kind of problems with my first player...

This is an imformative article on CD quality control:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing
Hope it's useful.

No I can't say I've noticed an increase on cd glitches Paul, as I only buy cds and I have for many many years, but I have noticed a big difference in sound quality on cds compared to even 10years ago. Original cds were awful sounding, at that time it was a new technological way to play music, as vinyl had been the main way for consumers to hear music for decades. It's just a shame it took so long for companies to realise and get the techology for best reproducing the sound you would get on original 60s vinyl. Neil Young was famous and a well known critic of music reproduction on cd that for years he wouldn't allow his early stuff to be released on cd. At last cds are sounding good too, but like any product, you still get shoddy workmanship whether on reissued vinyl or cd and Paul it sounds more like shoddy mistakes concerning your cds rather than the cd technology itself. As for cdrs which are made differently can degrade through time, I do have cdrs from years ago that won't play, I never get that from a legit cd. The original 80s cds sound in general pretty awful. But that's 30 years ago. Thank goodness technology has improved in that time!! Even the packaging options concerning cds has vastly improved.

I purchased the the Hendrix Electric Ladyland set.
1 of the tracks on the blu-ray would not play the main reason i purchased it was to obtain the 5.1 mix.
Not sure if things are getting worse but they are not getting any better are any checks done or don't they give a....
Also purchased the White Album Deluxe and Moody Blues In Search Of The Lost Chord not played them yet hopefully......
Steve

It might seem like a lottery of luck as to whether you rarely or never get faulty CDs or lots of them, but it seems the reason is to be found in the various experiences of all the people who commented here.

So, everyone's different experiences and comments are all giving a composite answer.
Regardless of the style of music, how old the original album is [or it's individual songs if a compilation etc]or how old the age of the +ve or -ve masters used to create your precious CDs and DVDs are, each item should be a wonderful fully functioning piece of plastic that plays and sounds beautiful.

After all, you are paying these scumbag music companies a lot of money [usually] and the recording artist gets very little from your purchase. The least you should get is something fit for the purpose, regardless of the reason or excuse you find for it being an unplayable piece of crap.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 increases the sellers responsibility {please note, NOT the manufacturer.}
Useful resource:
https://www.ridc.org.uk/content/consumer-rights

Fight for your Rights! You just might win.

:sunglasses:

Fair comment Steve I just hope you dont look like your picture I thought olde Wallace looked like that..I also think maybe a lot of charity shops [unknowingly] get these faulty cds and who would return said cd to a charity shop