UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pop Your Sike Compilation

As J R Hartley said on the Yellow pages ad all those years ago, 'it is rather old'. Just some UK & US popsike type tunes that were faves of mine at the time. Quite a few commercially reissued by now, many were quite obscure at the time. Back in the days of the needle drop LP to CDR trading scene when so many of the albums these come from had not seen the light of day for years let alone digitally transferred. I still find it an enjoyable listen. Note track 9 is the false ending of the previous track so 8-9 are the one song but there's a gap where you think it's ended on 8 but it comes back (9). As I said to Phil, when he asked about the track list, I didn'timmediately recognise it as one I had made, so long ago has it been!

PM

Thank you for posting this one Phil. And thank you Paul Martin for making it so.

Ugh!
Kasenatz-Katz.
Record producers churning out pony-and-trap bubblegum.
Sugary-sweet creamcorn.

They have a lot to answer for.

I love bubblegum nuff said!

PM:grin:

Yeah but...
Yeah but...
Yeah but...

Yeah but Paul,

K-K-Kocksuckers were responsible for atrocities the likes of "Simon Says", "Yummy,Yummy,Yummy" and "Chewy Chewy (Poo-ee)".

Didn't their lp have a scrapyard on the cover?

Most suitable.

Bloody 'ell Wallace where did you pop up from hope you are well could do with your witty comments to liven the olde board up

Two-Sheds Jackson:
You gonna send me a Crimbo card again this year?
(Probs the only one poor Wallace will get.)

Anyways, that Kastenez-Katz track is actually quite good.

Any coverart come with that comp?

Yes there was definitely some dreadful bubblegum music but there was also some things that if you didn't know they were recorded by such bands and by perhaps some obscure U.S. garage band people would be all over their collectability.

The first two Ohio Express singles, Try It And Beg Borrow and Steal are great garage rock tracks. The Attack and The Standells actually covered Try It.
Indian Giver by 1910 Fruitgum Company is another winner. The Ramones covered this one.

There are also great psych and pop psych b-sides by Ohio Express/1910/Kasenetz Katz. You'll get a pleasant surprise imo if you took the time to listen to Reflections From The Looking Glass, Mrs Green, Turn To Straw and Poor Old Mr Jensen.

The Lemon Pipers also released some top pop/psych tracks and the b-side of Green Tambourine, in No Help From Me is another tough garagey type track.

Renick/Levine/Resnick wrote and arranged a heap of stuff during this time but one of the great garage band tracks by bthem is The Brigands-(Would I Still Be)Her Big Man. anyone have a cheap copy that they'd like to offer. An original is out of my price range.

Wallace Ive lost yer addy mate if you still have my email please send it I'll happily send you one.
I didnt understan the 'Jackson' bit but after visiting another site I now understand