UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mrs Gillespies Refrigerator [2018]

Not that impressed with this Bee Gees outing the sound was not very impressive anyone else heard it yet?

Re: Mrs Gillespies Refrigerator [2018]

Heard it . Think it's ok but Sands much better.

The Bee Gees version is merely a demo.

The Sands version of course is coupled with one of the great UK 60s psych tracks in Listen To The Sky.

sorry I was talking about the Bee Gees new album of the title

Tracklist
1 New York Mining Disaster 1941
2 Cucumber Castle
3 In My Own Time
4 One Minute Woman
5 I Can't See Nobody
6 To Love Somebody
7 Holiday
8 Massachussetts
9 Interview
10 Mrs Gillespies Refrigerator
11 I Close My Eyes
12 Interview
13 World
14 In My Own Time
15 Band Introduction
16 New York Mining Disaster
17 Cucumber Castle
Notes
Radio sessions recorded in the studio and live in Sweden (tracks 14 - 17)

My favourite beegees performance
Well Phil,
Not heard this and I'll avoid it - and not just because the sound quality is poor!
I never really liked this lot except for a few early songs but then I grew up and they showed their true colours as ego-fuelled wannabe millionaire popstars as they made more and more pop music and more and more pop money. When living in Asia, I foolishly accepted a young Indian's offer to visit a New Delhi Disco in the late 70's to see how 'modern' the youth were. Ha! I hated it, as I expected. Not only the upper middle class posers in pseudo western 'groovy' clothes but also the music. They played a stupid song about staying the night sung by a screechy girl [or so I thought], 3 or 4 times in the hour or so I was there.
I made my excuses and left the 'trendy' Indian kid and his mates to chat up the local talent, and headed back to tent city where I was staying to smoke a few chillums with people I could relate to. Years later I found that the annoying pop-pap disco crap song was the beegees!

The only song by them I can be bothered with now is the New York Mining Disaster 1941 and that was superceeded by the Barclay James Harvest's song that took a good song and used it's bones to create something new and 1000 times better. [imnsho]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Q5_ttJBUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nvFcaA3rY
As Martin Almond wrote for the website bjharvest.co.uk -
"John Lees' Mining Disaster song is neither plagiaristic nor unoriginal. It is a wholly original take on a pre-existing song. I am reminded of how Bach took concertos by Vivaldi, and, (to my mind, at least) made them into something greater. How the same Bach took existing German hymn tunes, harmonised them sublimely, and made them his own. Of course, in his day, plagiarism worked more on the basis of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." They did not have our obsession with originality at all costs, at the cost of artistic integrity, and ultimately, at the cost of good music."

My favourite beegees performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk