UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jimmehs: have we wandered into a popsike cul-de-sac?

Not many recommendations for new bands.
Wot gives?

Wallace The Man wants to be edified...spoon-fed. Baaaaa! Baaa!

Howabart "best of the new, 2018"?

Actually Wallace has not bin following this scene for the last three yahres, so.....feed me.

Havunt got much to offer youse in return.
Only this one, possibly best cd of the yahre:

COBALT CHAPEL a duo. modern twist on late 60's British pop-psych (alla first Caravan) with a sprig of wyrdfolk (in the pagan lyrics ) thrown in the blend.

Unique sound on the (circusy) organ.

Re: Jimmehs: have we wandered into a popsike cul-de-sac?

That’s a good topic to posit, Wallace, and I’ve been thinking on those lines myself. I have to say, my own quest for great 60-‘s psych 45’s, while by no means finished, has abated a bit recently. Partly this is due to the price of a lot of “rare” psych 45’s, but mostly apart from some high-ticket items that are out of reach, I have a lot of the non-lp songs I’ve been searching for.
But I also notice fewer really great items for sale on eBay, so it may be that the great eBay record store on the web has been picked over fairly well.
Also, you seem to be referencing any new (-ish) psych that could be of interest. I don’t have too many bands that come to mind, but that is also partly due to my tendency to go off on jazz jaunts, funk fads, and even classical kicks that take up my disposable income.
One band that I did enjoy recently was The Ghost of A Saber Tooth Tiger which features Sean Lennon, but would hold up as a good effort even without the Beatle link. They seem to have a good sense of the psych concept, which to my mind means keeping things surprising. I enjoyed “Midnight Sun” by them.
Not strictly psych. Or pop-psych, but more psychedelic is the most recent CD by Trad Gras Och Stenar, called “Tack for Kaffet” or something close to that. Really good guitar based stuff of the space jam variety. I know they’re not a new band, but this outing by them hit the right spots for me.
I find that in general I have either been investigating electronic stuff, or Harmonia/Eno inspired music. Bands like Forma from New York. So I’m also open to any fun new psych. I do enjoy Les Big Byrd, who even have a cover of July’s “Dandelion Seeds” in their repertoire. A nice modern psych sound that I think is exemplified by their EP “Stockholm Death Star”.
I’m curious to hear what others have been spinning as well.
Here’s a list I found on the web. I confess I’ve only heard the Dungen & Woods EP from this list, but I liked it.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/genre/30-psychedelic-rock/2018/

Can’t get the link to direct correctly, so it’s cut’n’paste. Sorry...

Re: Jimmehs: have we wandered into a popsike cul-de-sac?/Kula Shaker

Hiya Wallace,you reemerged as a plastic Scot again?I thought i'd saw the last of that character!!Unfortunately i don't have any recommendations of new psych,as to my own ignorance i prefer to use my little sum of money to buy reissues or to update my trojan reggae and ska collection onto silver disc,i'm listening to early reggae and ska more as time goes on,it makes for a very pleasant change from the tripping sounds i've been spinning constantly for over 20 years.Ska and Reggae were my first music loves as a young spotty teen skinhead,until i come across the likes of UK groups like THe Creation,The Smoke,The Eyesand of course The Beatles Sgt Pepper album,which all changed my course of music tastes slowly.I dont know if im going through a middle aged crisis,but i love psych,garage,trippy folk,early prog,60s pop,ska,rocksteady and reggae as much as each other now,where as before the ska and reggae never got played for a long time!!!!I play them all equally now!!!I do still love all the Kula Shaker albums,not heard the latest one though,any reviews off sorts concerning their last album??I honestly think they had a great sound and a pretty authentic psych vibe to them.Even their more acoustic stuff was pretty fabulous!!!A real under rated group and unfortunately seem to be largely forgotten about!!Bugger whats written about Mr mills etc,the music is terrific!!!!

Re: Jimmehs: have we wandered into a popsike cul-de-sac?/Kula Shaker

Mentioned this one before, but the best neo psych album I've heard in a long while is from a Swedish band. Toads Of The Short Forest-Mindmower.