UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
REVOLUTION ~ UNDERGROUND SOUNDS OF 1968

This title will be released on February 22, 2019.

TRACKLIST
NEW 3 CD RE-MASTERED CLAMSHELL VARIOUS ARTISTS BOXED SET CELEBRATING THE MUSICAL SOUNDS OF THE SO-CALLED BRITISH “UNDERGROUND” ROCK MUSIC OF 1968

FEATURING TRACKS BY DEEP PURPLE, JETHRO TULL, BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST, JULIE DRISCOLL, BRIAN AUGER & THE TRINITY, SPOOKY TOOTH, TRAFFIC, THE MOVE, CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, PROCOL HARUM, GENESIS, CARAVAN, JEFF BECK, PRETTY THINGS, THE INCREDIBLE STRING BAND, TOMORROW & MANY MORE

INCLUDES AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET WITH ESSAY BY MARK POWELL

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of “Revolution – Underground Sounds of 1968”, a 3CD clamshell boxed set celebrating the so-called “underground” rock music 1968, a year that saw huge changes, both musical and social. 1968 was a pivotal year for creativity in British rock, beginning with some influences of psychedelia still present in work by ground-breaking artists such as Pretty Things, Tomorrow, Incredible String Band, Idle Race, Traffic and The Move, but gradually giving way to styles influenced by jazz, blues, folk and more that would eventually become termed as “progressive”, “folk- rock” and “hard” rock, all of which championed by “underground” figures of the day such as DJ John Peel on his BBC Radio One show Top Gear and by publications such as International Times and Oz.

The common thread among all of these artists was an emphasis on experimentation and a desire to push the perceived boundaries of popular music. It was also a year that would see the very first record releases by bands that would go on to achieve success and influence in the 1970s such as Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Barclay James Harvest, Genesis, Status Quo, Van Der Graaf Generator and Caravan.

Aside from featuring better known acts such as Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Procol Harum and Pentangle, this compilation also features lesser known acts that produced work of a wide breadth such as Eyes of Blue, Love Sculpture, The Action, Dantalian’s Chariot, Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera, Gun, Second Hand, The Moles and Blonde on Blonde.

This collection celebrates a creative period when rock music was evolving into something altogether more serious, moving away from the single as medium to give way to the dominance of the album. Feed your head with “Revolution – Underground Sounds of 1968”.

DISC ONE:
1. AND THE ADDRESS – Deep Purple
2. THIS WHEEL’S ON FIRE – Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity
3. TALKIN’ ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES – Pretty Things
4. WORLD WAR THREE – Dantalian’s Chariot
5. A SAYING FOR TODAY – The Action
6. CROSSROADS OF TIME – Eyes Of Blue
7. SUNSHINE HELP ME – Spooky Tooth
8. EARLY MORNING – Barclay James Harvest
9. ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT – Blonde On Blonde
10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY / THE BIRTHDAY PARTY – Idle Race
11. REVOLUTION – Tomorrow
12. WE ARE THE MOLES (PART 1) – The Moles
13. BLACKBERRY WAY – The Move
14. ONE EYED HOUND – Genesis
15. ON A SATURDAY – Keith West
16. SOVAY – Pentangle
17. CAVE OF CLEAR LIGHT – The Bystanders
18. SOMA (PARTS ONE & TWO) – Dantalian’s Chariot
19. FIRE! – The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
20. I’M THE URBAN SPACEMAN –

DISC TWO:
The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
1. SHAPES OF THINGS – Jeff Beck
2. BLACK MAGIC WOMAN –
Fleetwood Mac
3. PEARLY QUEEN – Traffic
4. PEOPLE YOU WERE GOING TO –
Van Der Graaf Generator
5. REALITY – Secondhand
6. LOVE IS THE LAW – Eyes Of Blue
7. DUSTY – John Martyn
8. IN HER MIND – Eclection
9. SUMMERTIME – Love Sculpture
10. FLY TOMORROW – John Mayall
11. PLACE OF MY OWN – Caravan
12. NO TITLE – Ten Years After
13. CHILD OF MY KINGDOM – The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
14. I NEVER KNEW – The Gods

DISC THREE:
1. MY SUNDAY FEELING – Jethro Tull
2. SABRE DANCE – Love Sculpture
3. FLAMES – Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera
4. SOMEWHERE TO GO – The Deviants
5. COLD EMBRACE – Sam Gopal
6. SHINE ON BRIGHTLY – Procol Harum
7. PARADISE FLAT – Status Quo
8. THAT’S ME – Genesis
9. SUITE NO. 1 – Giles, Giles & Fripp
10. MIST ON A MONDAY MORNING – The Move
11. TEN THOUSAND WORDS IN A CARDBOARD BOX – The Aquarian Age
12. MR. SUNSHINE – Barclay James Harvest
13. JUST FOR YOU – Dave Mason
14. S.F. SORROW IS BORN – Pretty Things
15. MAGIC MAN – Caravan
16. THE HALF-REMARKABLE QUESTION – Incredible String Band
17. RACE WITH THE DEVIL – Gun
18. MANDRAKE ROOT – Deep Purple

Re: REVOLUTION ~ UNDERGROUND SOUNDS OF 1968

Thanks Paul, I saw that one too. I thought it looked a bit too mainline though. Not sure that there's anything un or under-heard on it.It looks ok as a sound pallet of styles of the time which is it's remit though I suppose. I'd sooner have a CD of Jethro Tull singles As & Bs, one does not seem rto exist despite all the annivrsary editions of thier albums.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

Ya. That's all stuff we know.

Fuggit.

The last paragraph before the tracklists should read:
This collection celebrates a creative period when rock music was evolving into something altogether more serious, moving away from the single as medium to give way to the dominance of the album. Feed our corporate bank account with “Revolution – Underground Sounds of 1968{aka We're Only In It For The Money.}”

Good summations. They're really starting to barrel scrape now. And what makes something underground. A lot of this stuff could have easily fitted on their 1968 psych comp set.

Hmmmmmm, perhaps one for the future. Not going to rush and buy this.

I just wonder who this collection is aimed at?I hate to say this,i have everything on this 3 cd set!The folks who frequent here probably have most if not all thats on this!!I totally understand Cherry Red issuing these 3 cd clamshell box sets as they have proved to be popular.Releases on RPM and Grapefruit have proved to be very good value for money,but this set in my opinion would be a fab introduction to someone interested in late 60s sounds looking to sniff out some good sounds as there are some great sounds on this box set,but for the initiated like myself it'll be £20 staying in my pocket this time.I really hope Cherry Red don't lose anything on this once its released as they certainly put a good job into all aspects of those 3 cd sets!!Obviously legal and licensing issues aside,something like a 3 cd clamshell box set of say for example Canadian late 60s sounds would be very interesting and different,but probably just a pipedream of mine!!I wonder what folk have thought of all those 50th anniversary box set reissues,Ogdens,Lost Chord,Electric Ladyland,Preservation Society,arthur brown,jethro tull,waiting for the sun??I have the deluxe cd reissues of ogdens,lost chord,preservation society,this was jethro tull, and crazy world of arthur brown,all no really released too far long back,are we as music fans getting taken for a ride as some of the prices are just too much for me.Another worrying trend for me is releases featuring vinyl and cd in the one box set package.Worrying because i aint got a record player and to be honest have no plans in purchasing one in the near future!!!Over the last couple of years ive had to get more choosey as the moneys just not there, to keep buying special anniversary editions with a handful of different mixes or unreleased tracks are not on my agenda these days.