UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Mod" Music

Another term used to lightly is "Mod" music it has been watered down so much I've actually forgotten what Mod music actually is for me it seemed to be Small Faces and the Who but I know some bands reignited the term in the 80's

Re: "Mod" Music

For me [and to me!] Mods will always mean the 60's Phil, pre-Psycedelia. Lambrettas and Vespas, sharp clothes, speed, fights with Rockers at Margate. The Small Faces, the Who, Desmond Dekka and the Aces, more Ska music.

Button-down shirts. Rothman's King-Size and Embassy fags. The Cherry Pie coffee shop {opposite Arcari's cafe - the Rocker's place, where they had a much better jukebox and a nicer owner} in Canterbury.
I was the only 15 year old schoolboy always in there with a half cup of cold coffee and a 5-pack of No.6 ciggies in front of me {or No. 10 when I had less spare change}. At the table nearest the jukebox - I who could get away with wearing a Parka and feeding filed down 1/2p's into that jukebox to hear 'Like A Rolling Stone' until the coins ran out. Winklepicker and Chissel-toe shoes. Suede shoes and Doc Martin's. Braces.

[center] [/center]

You pictured my view Steve-o thanks for that now I know why I love Desmond Dekker so much

I was a Mod second time around, from 1979 to 1987. To me, " Mod" music is rhythm and blues and ska. Of course,with some bands like The Action, Georgie Fame and the Blue Fames, Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band and the Small Faces amongst others.