UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mott The Hoople - Mental Train box set alert

Although now pretty much sold out, Amazon UK, although out of stock at present, are offering this set for just £34 at the time of posting (6.40pm 11/2/19) - it was on offer for £42 just yesterday and look at the eBay / Discogs prices for copies at the moment. If you considered this but passed, this price window is a no brainer, grab it. I did and I already have these on Japanese mini LP CDs (though this box set is remastered).

PM:smiley:

Re: Mott The Hoople - Mental Train box set alert

I was very lucky to have preordered this away last year, and thank goodness I picked it up at a very reasonable price as there's no way I could afford it now!! It really is a fab box set, definitely one of the best box sets I have. All in great sound, much brilliant music, good booklet. I love this period of mott the hoople, much more than the time to follow, a real mix of eclectic sounds, some works better than others. The album wildlife was an album I wasn't too familiar with, so to hear it in this quality was fab, thoroughly enjoyed it,one of the highlights for me. I was very impressed with the sweet box set sensation sweet the wild bunch chapter one from the other year, this mott the hoople box set is certainly up there in detail and packaging with loads of bonus tracks. 2 top notch products, both I was luckily quick of the mark so got at very reasonable prices!! There's things that have my interest at the moment, but it's impossible for me to purchase, as with all things like this there's always the possibility with passing of time those type of box sets shoot up in price. Here's hoping the likes of hendrix and the doors don't get too expensive over the next couple of years.

Thanks Paul. Just ordered from amazon. Hope they get more in as it is out of stock at the moment.

Yes, I think they will. On Ebay yesterday there were quite a few German offers of it at around £42-47 which were not there only a few days ago, so I guess they are overstocks or a few more sets have been printed up to assuage demand. The Bobbie Gentry box set sold out in a couple of months as of last Novemeber and Universal printed up (or are currently doing) 350 or so extra copies for late comers, so I guess this might be happening with Mott as well.

Incidentally, I have read that disc 6 in some of these Mental Train sets has the track cues in the wrong places, has anyone who has the set already found that to be the case (like track 2 having the first part of track 3 in it as well before the track number changes)? Others have said there's nothing wrong with theirs, so just wondering. The same thing happened with one disc in the PIL set I bought last year but Universal replaced it with a good copy.

PM:slightly_smiling_face: