UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brinzley Schwarz - "It's just for the children of the new generation" 1974

I dunno exactly what it was that was in the Air, Water, Fire and Earth in 1974 but it was truly a magical marvelous year. So much incredible music - too much for any human to imbibe in real time, in those really basic technology days - so I'm grateful for the internet and posters who allow us to retrospectively reap the crops of this very special year in this new age 21st century.
This is a gem from a great band in a great year, from the album "Brinsley Schwarz ‎– The New Favourites Of Brinsley Schwarz". From the moment you hear the guitar riff from the Velvets "I'm waiting for my man" played with such incredible power and verve impossible to achieve from opiates, you know you are in for a different kind of treat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkuEBHMCOyY

As I walk through This wicked world Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity. I ask myself Is all hope lost? Is there only pain and hatred, and misery? And each time I feel like this inside, There's one thing I want to know: What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

And as I walked on Through troubled times My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes So where are the strong And who are the trusted? And where is the harmony? Sweet harmony. 'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me want to cry. What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? What's so funny 'bout peace & love yeah yeah yeah yeah?

THE IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT IN A BRIEF INTERMISSION

So where are the strong? And who are the trusted? And where is the harmony? Sweet harmony. 'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me want to cry. What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh What's so funny 'bout a little bit of peace & love yeah yeah yeah yeah?

Re: Brinzley Schwarz - "It's just for the children of the new generation" 1974

Was written by the great Nick Lowe who after he left the Brinsley's put it on the b-side of the American Squirm 1978 45. Elvis Costello also did a version of it that was released as a promo single in 1980.