Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LSD Underground 12 [1966]

The info on the re-release of this says:
"LSD UNDERGROUND 12 (Lysergia-2513 re) NEW 329:-
Before there was psychedelic music, there was LSD Underground 12. Recorded under mysterious circumstances in Los Angeles in the Summer of 1966, this mind-blowing musical journey represents the earliest known case of musicians recording while under the effect of LSD. The result is a pioneering aural kaleidoscope of shifting moods and complex atmospheres unlike anything done before and hardly since. Recorded at a time when psychedelic music did not yet exist as a genre, it is not surprising that the music flows freely across genres, from eerie Middle Eastern desert moods and nocturnal west-coast jazz grooves into full-blown acid-rock guitar soloing, while the hallucinogenic tension is sustained and released through outbursts of piercing Avant Garde, Fluxic chaos and minimalist stasis. Sold briefly via mail-order, the 1966 record was only rumored to exist until Lysergia’s recent research verified its existence. In view of its pioneering historical status and outstanding musical quality, “LSD Underground 12” should rank as one of the greatest psychedelic music discoveries of the past 20 years. A pioneering acidhead sound unlike anything that came before it and hardly anything since... a musical riddle rising from the psychedelic catacombs. Presented by Patrick Lundborg and Lysergia, LSD UNDERGROUND 12 is available in an exclusive LP edition of 500 copies, 180 gram virgin vinyl, housed in a deluxe case wrapped tip-on-sleeve, and including a insert with in-depth liner notes."
- subliminalsounds.se

The blurb for this contains dubious information [...the earliest known case of musicians recording while under the effect of LSD...], as nobody really knows if this is earlier than the October '66 Kool aid acid tests recordings. Still, it made great advertising hype for Mr Lundberg and Lysergia to sell their LPs. See/hear/feel this one:

Know what I mean? :sunglasses:

Re: LSD Underground 12 [1966]

Not able to watch the first one Steve so couldn't read any info. Any idea of any musicians involved? Is it authentic or maybe a later recorded cash in?

Thanks for letting me know about the dead link, Greg. 50+ people saw the same dead link and did nothing. Incredible!
This works:

And still more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do14BKeW2L8

Hey, don't knock The Lama! I really trust Lundborg's research here. He always did his homework thoroughly (which "The Acid Archives" and his brilliant "Psychedelia" book will attest to) so I don't think that blurb is dubious at all.

I'm not sure what I think about the LP, though... Definitely a fascinating cultural artefact, but as a rewarding listening experience the jury's still out.

The dubious part of that review is the claim that this album is "...the earliest known case of musicians recording while under the effect of LSD...".

This dates part of the recording as even earlier - 1965: