UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: George Harrison my favourite beatle

Yes indeed Steve,Piggies was a a real omission on my part,it is indeed a great biting song way before its time taking a well deserved dig at the greed of capitalism,remember it had just been over 20 years since the end of world war 2 when the seeds of this song were formed!!Changing times indeed!!Piggies sentiments are still(if not more) as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.Harrison was also the one to highlight the income tax burden he felt that the government was personally putting on him and his at this time very successful and high earning colleagues with the brilliant Taxman,what other so called pop groups at this time were recording and releasing such obvious attacks on the establishment?The press used to call the rolling stones the bad boys of pop,i actually cant remember a song from this time that they recorded that attacked the establishment as such!!! Maybe im wrong.....I don't know!!Whether you are of the opinion that George and the others quite rightly or not should be paying the highest tax that was in the uk at the time over 50 years later is probably neither here nor there,but to actually write,record and release it on what would be a massive selling album basically having a massive dig at the then government and actually namedropping the chancellor,mustve been quite a thing,this was 1966,well before the drug busts of the stones etc.Whether it was a self interest thing behind the song,but I know no one who genuinely likes paying governments income tax from their hard work,no matter what it is you do for a living,so I can imagine Taxman being a pretty well liked sentiment from the more mature Beatles fans of the time!!!This from a group who only under 2 years earlier accepted MBEs from the establishment.Which even now I hate the thought of!!!!That's just my thoughts guys,it was tragic what happened to George in later life getting attacked and stabbed from some deranged bampot and then to succumb to cancer,though to be honest he had been a heavy smoker for much off his life!!Any man who can forgive and stay friends all his life with someone he was close to who did the dirty on him with his partner Miss Boyd,im on about Eric Clapton of course,which to me says a lot about Clapton(not a lot),tells me a lot about George Harrison as a human being!!I'm beginning to waffle on a bit,so i'll stop there!!Enjoyed this thread folks,thanks for taking part!!