UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr John R.I.P.

Malcolm John Rebennack (November 20, 1941 – June 6, 2019), better known by his stage name Dr. John, was an American singer and songwriter. His music combined blues, pop, jazz, boogie woogie and rock and roll.

Active as a session musician from the late 1950s until his death, he gained a following in the late 1960s after the release of his album Gris-Gris and his appearance at the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music. He performed a lively, theatrical stage show inspired by medicine shows, Mardi Gras costumes and voodoo ceremonies. Rebennack recorded more than 20 albums and in 1973 produced a top-10 hit, "Right Place, Wrong Time".

Gonna miss ya, Night Tripper.

Re: Dr John R.I.P.

Such an incredible album.
Such an incredible man.

See ya at that great Mardi Gras on the other side, Doc.

Yep RIP Dr John must give his first album a spin I remember it as a goodie

:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

He played on many recordings in the 60s, I'm not a massive fan of his albums but love gris gris the night tripper what a raw original otherwordly sound that is created on that record alone, for that alone he gets my respect and a marvellous musician too!! There's a lot of stars etc falling from the 60s, but many will be remembered as their younger selves in many minds, just to be remembered by many people is a statement in itself, as many leave us and are unfortunately not thought about again unless by close family and friends!! The excess of fame,and riches and sycophantic hangers on do contribute to the comedown and ultimately the death of many gifted human beings, but they're in my eyes no better than the roadsweeper keeping our streets clean, many are born with gifts which many do waste, while others like myself born with limited gifts and lead a normal day to day existence,we come out the same way and we leave the same way, with nothing materialistic, so much emphasise those days are put on fame and celebrity, but those people have no better outlook or answers in life to me they are just giftedgifted whether as a songwriter,painter drawer guitarist . Know what I mean??