UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) [UK original mono]

Here's the original mono album, expertly ripped from vinyl and subjected to hours of meticulous sound engineering skills by the hands of an audiophile master.

Those who can't hear any difference and those who think the audiophile approach is somehow snobby or elitist - fine. This post isn't for you. You can keep on enjoying your preferred regular sgt peppers releases just like I did, until I found this.

So why the mono version? "You've never really heard 'Sgt Pepper' until you've heard it in mono." (George Martin)

The website says it's a transfer from a UK mono copy of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". This is a first pressing (without "patents pending" on the outer sleeve), so that anyone can compare the "real deal" to the mono reissue.

Download here:
https://mega.nz/#!7tBU1C6a
You will need to enter this key when asked:
!6frhD2GcYBTTBO_NefXQH5j2MXz8qN_0OCJqBTv25qY

Any problems, let me know.

Enjoy!

Re: Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) [UK original mono]

I picked up an original mono not long ago. It does sound fantastic.

Hi Steve,thanks for your email!!!One album I've never heard in mono and its supposed to be far superior to the stereo is the album by Tomorrow!!As far as I know its never been made available on cd.Another is The Pretty Things SF Sorrow,which luckily I do have in both mono and stereo.At this time nearing the end of the 60s the mono was becoming less and less used in the record industry and stereo was becoming the norm!!Big advances in technology concerning mixing desks and some studios having 16 tracks compared to the mainly 4 track studios that was the norm up till 64 or 65 and after,so a massive change which gave groups,engineers and producers much more scope to have effects etc included in their songs,and even in 67 many of the big groups were still recording great records on 8 and less track studios,which is amazing when you hear some psych records that have so much on them soundwise,so a massive hats off to the many studio engineers who at the time got little mention or credit.Unfortuynately as the vyears went on and studios had 32 track studios the sound just got too sanitised and too slick,and I feel you can hear that particularly in many 80s recordings.Thats just my opinion of course!!!That horrible drum sound and to me that dated 80s synth sound!!!Yuk!!!!!

Thanks for this Steve and yes Stuart Tomorrow sounds great in mono

Hi Stuart, I have that Tomorrow in mono ripped from vinyl. It’s a good mono release, with some differences in the mix. The one that stood out to me the most was “Auntie Mary’s Dress Shop” where the harpsichord keeps going for the whole song instead of cutting out early. Or maybe I have it backwards and in the mono it cuts out early and the stereo it continues for the whole song. I can’t check at the moment, but they are different mixes anyhow. There are a few other small differences as well, but with the mono it basically just sounds a bit more “live” coming out of both speakers in full.
I was lucky to find a mono “Blonde on Blonde” (the Dylan album, not the band) on my recent trip to Detroit. It was only six bucks and it was in pretty good condition. Plus, it had the original pictures in the gatefold. It usually pays off to check “new arrivals” first when you find a record store. Anyway, “Blonde on Blonde” sounds great in mono.

A forum user said he was having trouble with the link for this, as the access key code wasn't working. So did anyone else have any problems with it?
Steve.

The accesskey code worked for me but then it requested a password? maybe re-up without a key code

Yup, that was the problem I had - I got the file OK but was then asked for a password to extract the contents..!!!

Just DL the file again [to test] and it appears mega site is working for me this time [in lib. again - maybe each terminal is set up differently - who knows, guv..??!!].

Sorry 'bout this, guys! The password to unrar the file is:
mccannonlabs
Such a complicated series of things to get this, but it's honestly not me. The poster just wants to ensure it doesn't get blocked or deleted.
So, that should do it!
Let me know here, please.
Cheers,
Steve.

Thanks o bearded one for sorting the issue out