UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mighty Baby 6 x cd set

Coming at the end of October:

Mighty Baby - At A Point Between Fate And Destiny ~ The Complete Recordings.

It's a six cd set :blush: in a clamshell box on Grapefruit Recrods. Not seen any further details yet though, so do post a track list someone if you spot it.

PM

Re: Mighty Baby 6 x cd set

Likewise another clamshell box set, this time a 3 cd various artists set called 'Across The Great Divide ~ Getting It Together In The Country 1968-74' also slated for end of October. Track listng splease?

PM:grin:

Here's the Mighty Baby tracklists

PM:

Mighty Baby: At A Point Between Fate and Destiny – The Complete Recordings, 6CD Boxset
Mighty Baby
£24.99

Released October 25, 2019.

One minute The Action were the ultimate mod cult band, belting out exuberant Anglicised approximations of Tamla/soul material in clubs across the country, the next they’d shed singer Reggie King and mutated into questing countercultural adventurers Mighty Baby.

Under the leadership of guitarist Martin Stone, they would become increasingly insular as four of the five band members converted to Islam and they moved slowly towards a more improvised sound. By the end of 1971, fasting for Ramadan had left them almost too weak to perform onstage, at which juncture they came to the reluctant conclusion that rock’n’roll and the Muslim faith were incompatible.

Over the previous three years, however, they made some magical, mystical music that is now collected under one roof for the first time. The band-authorised 6-CD set At A Point Between Fate And Destiny features all surviving recordings, with much-loved studio albums “Mighty Baby” and “A Jug Of Love” joined by rehearsal sessions, a complete and previously unissued alternative version of the first album, audio from the band’s only TV appearance and other studio outtakes.

The set also features three hours of 1971 live material, with a ninety-minute chunk of their legendary appearance at Glastonbury that includes previously unreleased versions of Mighty Baby favourites ‘Virgin Spring’, ‘Goin’ Down To Mongoli’, ‘Woe Is Me’, ‘Devil’s Whisper’ and, most thrillingly of all, the hitherto-presumed-lost full 36 minute version of ‘A Blanket In My Muesli’.

Featuring a host of rare photos and memorabilia as well as a new 12000 word essay that covers the band’s unique journey from mod to odd with the aid of extracts from key member Ian Whiteman’s fascinating unpublished autobiography The Average Whiteman, At A Point Between Fate And Destiny is self-evidently the definitive word on a group who occupied their own peculiar time and space in the late Sixties/early Seventies underground rock firmament, blowing more than a few minds in the process.

DISC ONE

MIGHTY BABY

1. EGYPTIAN TOMB
2. A FRIEND YOU KNOW BUT NEVER SEE
3. I’VE BEEN DOWN SO LONG
4. SAME WAY FROM THE SUN
5. HOUSE WITHOUT WINDOWS
6. TRIALS OF A CITY
7. I’M FROM THE COUNTRY
8. AT A POINT BETWEEN FATE AND DESTINY
BONUS TRACKS (UNISSUED EARLIER ACETATE VERSION OF FIRST ALBUM)
9. I’VE BEEN DOWN SO LONG
10. TRIALS OF A CITY
11. HOUSE WITHOUT WINDOWS
12. A FRIEND YOU KNOW BUT NEVER SEE
13. MESSAGES
14. ANCIENT TRAVELLER
15. SAME WAY FROM THE SUN

Tracks 1-8:
The album Mighty Baby, Head HDLS 6002, recorded February-August 1969, released November 1969
Tracks 9-15:
Previously unissued acetate version of first album, recorded February 1969

Tracks 9-12 + 15 are previously unissued

DISC TWO

A JUG OF LOVE

1. JUG OF LOVE
2. THE HAPPIEST MAN IN THE CARNIVAL
3. KEEP ON JUGGIN’
4. VIRGIN SPRING
5. TASTING THE LIFE
6. SLIPSTREAMS
BONUS TRACKS
7. DEVIL’S WHISPER
8. VIRGIN SPRING (ALTERNATIVE VERSION)
9. ONLY DREAMING
10. DUSTBIN FULL OF RUBBISH
11. AN UNDERSTANDING LOVE
12. MY FAVOURITE DAY
13. A SAYING FOR TODAY

Tracks 1-6:
The album A Jug Of Love, Blue Horizon 2931 001, released October 1971
Tracks 7-8:
Single, Blue Horizon 2096 003, released August 1971
Tracks 9-13:
Demo recordings from summer 1968, later released as The Action

DISC THREE

A JUG OF LOVE REHEARSALS

1. JUG OF LOVE
2. THE HAPPIEST MAN IN THE CARNIVAL i
3. THE HAPPEST MAN IN THE CARNIVAL ii
4. VIRGIN SPRING i
5. VIRGIN SPRING ii
6. TASTING THE LIFE
7. LAZY DAYS
BONUS TRACKS
8. CHRISTMAS JAM
9. EGYPTIAN TOMB (SINGLE, MONO)
10. I’M FROM THE COUNTRY (SINGLE, MONO)

Tracks 1-7:
Rehearsals for the album A Jug Of Love, recorded June 1971
Track 8:
Jam recorded during debut Keith Christmas album, June 1969
Tracks 9-10:
French/Dutch single, mono mixes, released 1970

Track 8 is previously unissued

DISC FOUR

ABANDONED 1970 ALBUM
DAY OF THE SOUP

1. WINTER PASSES
2. NOW YOU DON’T (PART 1)
3. NOW YOU DON’T (PART 2)
4. NOW YOU DON’T (PART 3)
5. NOW YOU DON’T (PART 4)
BONUS TRACKS (LIVE)
6. JUGGIN’
7. NOW YOU SEE IT
8. STONE UNHENGED
9. SWEET MANDARIN

Tracks 1-5:
Olympic Studios demos for potential second album Day Of The Soup, June 1970
Track 6:
From Disco 2 show, 25 July 1970
Tracks 7-9:
Live at Lanchester University, March 1970

DISC FIVE

LIVE AT MALVERN

1. EGYPTIAN TOMB
2. TRIALS OF A CITY
3. KEEP ON JUGGIN’
4. WOE IS ME
5. INDIA
6. GOIN’ DOWN TO MONGOLI
7. KEEP ON JUGGIN’

Tracks 1-6:
Live at Malvern Winter Gardens, February 1971
Track 7:
Live at Glastonbury, June 1971

DISC SIX

LIVE AT GLASTONBURY

1. VIRGIN SPRING
2. GOIN’ DOWN TO MONGOLI
3. WOE IS ME
4. LAZY DAYS
5. A BLANKET IN MY MUESLI (aka INDIA) (FULL VERSION)
6. DEVIL’S WHISPER

Tracks 1-6:
Live at Glastonbury, June 1971

Tracks 1-3 & 5-6 are previously unissued

and here's the tracklists for 'getting it together in the country'

PM

DESCRIPTION

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

TRACKLIST
At the height of psychedelia and the worldwide Summer of Love, Traffic retreated from the bright lights of the city and the music industry hurly-burly to get their act together in the wilds of rural Berkshire – where, away from the outside world, they worked on an organic fusion of jazz, folk, pop and R&B elements that would herald a game-changing new maturity in British rock.

Over the next twelve months or so, Traffic’s symbiosis of bucolic living and naturalistic music would be mirrored by events of the other side of the Atlantic: The Band’s rootsy country/soul/R&B stew, The Byrds’ move into country-rock and Crosby Stills & Nash’s intricate harmonies and acoustic-led instrumentation would all strike a chord with British rock bands and the burgeoning hippie scene in general.

Traffic’s concept of getting it together in the country, together with the nascent West Coast sound and the first real stirrings of what would subsequently become known as Americana, had a seismic effect. Numerous bands – Brinsley Schwarz, Bronco, Heron etc – began to live communally, retiring to remote farmhouses and country cottages to write, rehearse and even record in splendid isolation.

The peacock plumage and acid-in-wonderland lyrics of psychedelia were rejected. Instead, The Band’s down-home appearance and tales of old-time rural America were adopted wholesale. Polite, middle-class young men raised in quiet suburban towns on a diet of Marmite, The Dandy and early closing on Wednesdays suddenly assumed the appearance of weather-beaten, late 19th-century Klondike Gold Rush prospectors. The Aquarian Age was slowly turning into the Agrarian Age.

Across The Great Divide: Getting It Together In The Country is the first compilation to shine a light on this curiously neglected stitch in the constantly-evolving British rock tapestry of the late Sixties/early Seventies. Joining huge names like Rod Stewart, Traffic and Fairport Convention are cult underground acts, mainstream Sixties pop groups updating their sound, a post-Dylan wave of back-to-the-land singer/songwriters and a clutch of righteously obscure rural rockers whose music failed to find an outlet at the time.

Over three 3CDs and four hours of music (including several tracks that have never previously been issued), and housed in a clamshell box containing a 44-page booklet, Across The Great Divide assiduously charts the fascinating period when a posse of British musicians bravely attempted to build Cripple Creek in perfidious Albion’s green and pleasant land before shrugging their shoulders and moving on to either glam-rock, hard rock or the movement’s logical successor, the spit-and-sawdust pub rock circuit. Happy trails!

DISC ONE

TEATIME ON THE TRAIL

1. WARMING UP THE BAND – Heads Hands & Feet
2. CAJUN WOMAN – Fairport Convention
3. HOME IS WHERE I WANT TO BE – Mott The Hoople
4. DEVIL’S WHISPER – Mighty Baby
5. DESERT ISLAND WOMAN – Chilli Willi & The Red Hot Peppers
6. WILLOWING TREES – Shape Of The Rain
7. ABBOT OF THE VALE – Tony Hazzard
8. LOUISIANA MAN – The Hollies
9. FADING – Mason
10. SLEEP SONG – Unicorn
11. BOY, YOU’VE GOT THE SUN IN YOUR EYES – Open Road
12. COUSIN NORMAN – The Marmalade
13. CLIFFTOP – Richmond
14. LADY CAME FRO THE SOUTH – Starry Eyed And Laughing
15. OIL FUMES AND SEA AIR – Stray
16. RED MAN – Rare Bird
17. THE PIE – The Sutherland Brothers Band
18. TOUCH HER IF YOU CAN – Matthews Southern Comfort
19. EMPTY STREET, EMPTY HEART – Quicksand
20. OOH LA LA – Faces

DISC TWO

BEFORE THE GOLDRUSH

1. COUNTRY GIRL – Brinsley Schwarz
2. WHEN I’M DEAD AND GONE – McGuinness Flint
3. FORTY THOUSAND HEADMEN – Traffic
4. NEW DAY AVENUE – Bronco
5. TRY AGAIN – Tranquility
6. VELVET MOUNTAIN – Cochise
7. A SOUVENIR OF LONDON – Procol Harum
8. CINNAMON GIRL – The Deep Set
9. DAY THE WORLD RAN AWAY – Stephen Jameson
10. I’LL JUST TAKE MY TIME – Byzantium
11. IT’S A WAY TO PASS THE TIME – High Broom
12. GOING TO THE COUNTRY – Holy Mackerel
13. LIQUOR MAN – Montage*
14. JESUS IS JUST ALRIGHT – Shelagh McDonald
15. WE BOTH NEED TO KNOW – Granny’s Intentions
16. BYE AND BYE – Heron
17. COUNTRY DAN AND CITY LIL – Timebox
18. AND A BUTTON – The Searchers
19. TAKE ME TO THE PILOT – The Orange Bicycle
20. THE JAILER – Natural Gas*
21. SO NICE – Curtiss Maldoon
22. MILLION TIMES BEFORE – Jawbone

DISC THREE

URBAN COWBOYS

1. OPEN THE DOOR – Carolanne Pegg
2. COUNTRY COMFORT – Rod Stewart
3. HOME FOR FROZEN ROSES – Northwind
4. NICE – Bridget St. John
5. COUNTRY ROAD – The Pretty Things
6. HOME GROWN – Andy Roberts
7. SHERIFF MYRAS LINCOLN – Edwards Hand
8. CIRCLE ROUND THE SUN – Marian Segal
9. PRETTY HAIRED GIRL – The Parlour Band
10. HELLO BUDDY – The Tremeloes
11. TALLAWAYA – Greasy Bear
12. MY NAME IS JESUS SMITH – Man
13. METROPOLIS – Keith Christmas
14. COUNTRY HEIR (single edit) – Deep Feeling
15. JOHNSON BOY – Prelude
16. COTTAGE MADE FOR TWO – Paul Brett’s Sage
17. SEE HOW THEY RUN – Dave Cousins & Dave Lambert
18. CLEAR BLUE SKY – Mother Nature
19. DANCING FLOWER – Idle Race
20. WHEEL OF FORTUNE – The Illusions*
21. MY LITTLE ONE – Gordon, Ellis & Steel*
22. I’LL FLY AWAY (demo version) – Plainsong

Across The Great Divide boxset

Well this Country rock compilation is really a surprise! I have been working on my own private compilation of this genre for a few uyears, unsuspecting anyone could have been interested! Many of the tracks I was choosing are not here anyway, so I'll go on and maybe I will let them available in the next future ;)

Re: Across The Great Divide boxset

Perhaps it comes down to licensing issues But is there anything from the UA label here?
Nothing by Man, Help Yourself or Gypsy.
Procol Harum-Souvenir Of London? Traffic-Forty Thousand Headmen. Never thought of those as country.

Re: Across The Great Divide boxset

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Perhaps it comes down to licensing issues But is there anything from the UA label here?
Nothing by Man, Help Yourself or Gypsy.
Procol Harum-Souvenir Of London? Traffic-Forty Thousand Headmen. Never thought of those as country.
For sure licensing problems, even if other UA/Liberty acts are in, like Cochise o the Brinsleys. Anyway I checked with the tracks I am collecting, only 13 bands in common nd among these, only one identical song, Shape Of The Rain's Willowing Trees:grimacing:

Just thought it's worth mentioning that the 6 CD box set doesn't include “Live In The Attic”, (released in 2009 on the Sunbeam label) – an omission from the box Subtitled “The Complete Recordings”.

That one is the band playing live the stuff from the abandoned Day of the Soup album. You can find it at a good price on discogs.

Other than that, the box set contents look pretty impressive.

The Mighty Baby box includes all of the Live In The Attic material on Disc Four, now listed under its correct title Day Of The Soup.

Thanks for putting me right on that, Justin. I was going by the write-up I read here:
http://dmme.net/mighty-baby-entire-output-to-be-out/

Absolutely loved this box set, the pre debut album recordings that did eventually appear on the album are great to hear,along with loads of other music,much never officially release before, that debut album is killer from 1969 and their best album,the live recordings again show this group to be extremely talented musicians but some of it can be overlong and not put on to vinyl, though the second album jug of love is a different beast entirely from the debut,this albums got a more home down feel and a more acoustic based sound,the liners are excellent as usual from dave Wells,some Based on an interview and feature in flashback magazine.grab this cd set,it may not be entirely to your taste musical wise but those guys together are awesome,some of this can be boring but there's much to find in this box set another winner.