UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pink Floyd The Later Years 18 disc Box Set

If you didn't hear already about it, this is yet another overpriced money-spinner put out by the greedy record execs. It's to be released in plenty of time for Xmas.

"On November 29th, Pink Floyd Records will release ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’, an 18-disc set (5 x CDs, 6 x Blu-Rays, 5 x DVDs, 2x7” plus exclusive photo book and memorabilia) covering the material created by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright from 1987 onward. The period generated record sales of over 40 million worldwide and included three studio albums: ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’, ‘The Division Bell’ and ‘The Endless River’ as well as two live albums: ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ and ‘Pulse’. With additional production from David Gilmour and Andy Jackson, over 13 hours of unreleased audio and audiovisual material, including the sought-after 1989 Venice and 1990 Knebworth concerts, ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’ is a must for all fans."

That is, for all fans who can spend £400 on it.

Re: Pink Floyd The Later Years 18 disc Box Set

Not much there I would be interested in.

No, it's not my favourite era, although over the years I have come to appreciate the Waters-less period. But I couldn't help myself from jumping on this (as I do with everything Floyd related).
Amazon.ca had the lowest price at any rate, and I'm hoping it does drop at some point, but setting aside $50 dollars a week from now until release will cover it...
It's only money anyway, and it won't do having a hole in the collection, right?
Right??

Yeh no interest in this at all. As usual the price knocks a lot of people out of contention, a total Rip off in my opinion which will eventually be released like the early stuff into singular box sets for each year, and even then it was expensive, in some cases 1cd and 2 dvds for over £30, fans being taken for a ride once more by the record company who have for years made a fortune from pink Floyd and Beatles fans as at one time both on the same label. All I can suggest concerning the early years is trying to get it used or second hand, I've done my best to pick up some of those early years sets cheaper and I'll tell you what it's been tough to get any under £25, and that's been used ones. In my opinion not great value for money, I'm not really interested in the dvds it's the actual music I'm interested in, the most recent one I picked up was 1965-67 set, yep it's great to hear scream thy last scream and vegetable man, and interesting to hear their early efforts pre psychedelia, but not massive surprises, I now have the sets up to 1971,and I have not watched any of the dvds included in any of the sets, that just shows you my lack of interest in them. It's the musical content I'm interested in. I personally have not paid the full price for any of them, and it's taken me a while to get what I have all at cut prices but still not cheap to me anyway. But it's the choice of the buyer, I just think it's an absolute cheek to ask £400 for this new set of which in my opinion much of it is far from their best material and music. Am I just being a moany faced middle aged man or am I being realistic in thinking the price is shocking?? They wonder why less well off fans will get hold of this stuff in less than legal means, in the age of the Internet and with the cd(sadly) seemingly a dieing medium to listen to music on, this price seems very very expensive. Rant over, sorry to prattle on folks!!

I enjoy PF early albums and singles but not a fan of their later albums plus the price tag is really for the avid fans who have the cash and there is nothing wrong in that but I do feel a tad sorry for the avid fans of PF of whom there are many who cant afford the price tag.