UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
As Threatened...The New Poll!

Well...things have been pregnant with promise and anticipation, so it’s about time they were murdered by the hand of the inevitable 🙄

As i’ve already said a week or two ago, the 20th anniversary of Marmalade Skies going on-line coincides with the 500th edition of my Rose Coloured Glasses show, so to mark this auspicious occasion, we’re presenting the 3rd Periodical Greatest British Psychedelic Song of All-Time Poll!

The voting window opens now and closes at midnight on 31st October 2019. After the votes are added up, the top songs will be played in the 500th RCG show in November (and uploaded to Mixcloud for all eternity.)

Ok...all you have to do is select your Top 5 favourite UK Psych songs. Any era, not just the 60s. Now your choices need to be in order of preference, because top ranked songs will be awarded 10 points, second placed choices 7 points, and then 5, 3, and finally 1 point for fifth choice songs.
Easy!

Once you’ve chosen your songs, just send them to me, either by e mail or by personal message through facebook.

E mail address is:

mickcapewell@yahoo.co.uk

Now, if you want to publicly display your choices then fine, obviously I can’t stop you, but please note, votes will NOT be counted unless I receive them via the methods outlined above, mainly because if you only post your votes onto Facebook, there’s every chance I might miss them.

Just to clarify...acts like the Jimi Hendrix Experience or The Misunderstood, who recorded in the UK, had a British member or two, and were viewed as being ‘part of the Scene’ back in the day, ARE eligible to have their songs included. Acts like...say...a band from Finland who had a British bass player, are NOT eligible.
In all cases I’ll make the final judgement anyway.

So...please send in your votes!
Remember the poll is about what, in your judgement, is the BEST song 😀
Don’t worry about “not being an expert”. This poll is about quality not obscurity. If you think ‘See Emily Play’ or ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ are the best then vote for them!
There’s no point in voting for ‘Roger Rat’s Rather Revolting Red Raincoat’ by The Torrential Sunshine just because you own the only surviving acetate copy 🙄

And, please pass this around...i’d like this poll to be bigger than previous ones we’ve done, so obviously please share the hell out of this. Much obliged!

Well that’s about it for now.
Please get voting!
I’m so excited and looking forward to receiving them 👍

mickcapewell@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers!

Re: As Threatened...The New Poll!

christ i atually googled that ...no rat to be found in case you were wondering.

🤣🤣🤣

Thanks to those kind people who have sent in their UK Psych poll votes over the past week. Some very interesting, varied and surprising choices!
There's still plenty of time in which to send your votes...so please check my original post, and let me have your votes soon. Ta very muchly :+1:

1.Virgin Sleep-Secret
2.Bill Fay-Screams in My Ears
3.Mick Softly -Am I the Red One
4.Robbie Curtice-When Diana paints Her Picture
5. Scott Walker-The Plague

Wasn't Scott Walker born in Ohio USA? I thought he was a brit until I listened to the track on YT and read a couple of reviews dont wish to open a can of worms Mick but the Bee Gees are Aussie but I bet some one has put them down as a british band.
I suppose its how picky one is

Yes Phil but Mick said above that as long as they recorded the track you were voting for in the UK it's okay.

So if a American guy recorded the track in the UK that counts ?

Hiya Phil, the gibb brothers were born in old blighty and stayed in Manchester until their parents emigrated to Australia, yep they were pretty young,but they are British my old pal, so could Steve Miller band be included in this list as children of the future was recorded in the UK. As far as I'm concerned you're either British or not, it's like Eric burdon and the animals recorded most of their stuff in the states, but to me their certainly British.

cheers!

The Bee Gees were born on the Isle of Man and raised in Manchester, so they are definitely a British act. As for Scott Walker, as I explained in the blurb, if an act recorded in Britain and were seen as being part of the UK scene then I have no problem with them.:+1:

Yup, and the Easybeats also had no Australian-born members, Just UK and Netherlands musicians who moved to Australia as youngsters. I almost included “Peculiar Hole in the Sky” in my list, but with the Easybeats, it’s hard not to think of them as Australian as Easyfever started there and I think of their career as largely an Australian phenomenon. However, their most psych stuff was recorded in England.

And I thought The Bee Gees were a Aussie band daft olde twat that I am I am suitably humbled

Don't worry Phil. You're Wurzels vote is safe.

Thanks heaven for that

Hey Whoppo I wrote to the Wurzels manager about the idea that they made a psyche flavoured single this was his answer
Psychedelia was never a big Influence in the band’s career and I have no knowledge of any tracks inspired by this genre in the bands catalogue.
A suggestion, although I can’t endorse would be that if you are trying to replicate a psychedelic feel to the bands music then ‘The Finest Harvest’ is available on EMI and some magic mushrooms can be found near to the TV mast at West Horrington.

I've booked my hols at West Horrington next year!

None more Psych than Scrumpy!

Anyway, please get your votes in...it’s all gone a bit quiet and I’m sure loads of people haven’t voted yet.
As things stand we could have a new winner!
👍

Less than 2 weeks to get your votes in!
Had a few votes come in overnight and they changed the top spot!
It’s very close so your votes could be vital! 🤗

I'm not trying to be difficult (maybe I am) but i've always struggled to know where to file on my hard drive - Van Morrison's very trippy "Astral Weeks". Every few months I've changed my mind and flipped it between UK singer-songwriter, UK folk-rock, UK Psych (acid)-folk, US Americana, US singer-Songriter, US folk-rock....and now after reading this summary of the Boston "scene"- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astral-Weeks-Secret-History-1968/dp/0735221340/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=astral+weeks&qid=1571770437&s=books&sr=1-1 - I'm firmly slotting it in the same canon as Tim Buckley, Tim Hardin, Ritchie Havens - jazz-folk-singer-songwriter-psych-rock-pop...and Donovan's bassist Bob Ray and maybe to a lesser extent Bob Lind. And actually maybe Donovan's first LP recorded in LA. Yeah what about Donovan's first LP?

Maybe you need a extension Mick..erm keep stringing us along..it seems a common theme these days.
Looking forward to the results

Order! Order!!! 😳

Only a few days left to get your votes in, so please do it now! 🤓

Well...i know there’s another vote pending in December, but far more importantly, today is the last day for getting your votes in for the Third (Periodical) Marmalade Skies Greatest British Psychedelic Song Ever Poll!
Send me your Top 5’s now!
Tell your friends to do it!
mickcapewell@yahoo.co.uk or pm me on facebook.

It’s very close at the top, so your vote could change everything! (He said, dramatically 🙄)
Thank you very kindly!

(The results will be revealed on the 500th Rose Coloured Glasses show on DJ Plug Radio at 7pm on 30th November...)

Yes Mick

Another Poll. I have to say that would be interesting too.

Just out of curiosity where would we find the results of the last poll all those years ago.

Well, this was the results show in 2013...

https://www.mixcloud.com/mickcapewell5/psychedelic-poll-show-111213/

The 500th edition of the Rose Coloured Glasses show, broadcast on DJ Plug Radio on Saturday 30th November 2019, can be heard again on Mixcloud.

This show is an extended 4 hour edition, featuring the results of the 3rd (Periodical) Rose Coloured Glasses/ Marmalade Skies Greatest British Psychedelic Song Ever Poll.
We run down the Top 55 songs...and to retain the tension and mystery, I won't post the tracklist here. If you want to know which song ended up where, then you'll have to listen! Just like the old days 😁

Also...this version of the show has some added content...namely my old Show Biz correspondent, Reg Winstone, who took to the streets of Herne Bay, to speak to the 'members of the public' and discover what they think of RCG 🙄

Anyway...here's the link, and let's commence the Countdown...

https://www.mixcloud.com/mickcapewell5/rose-coloured-glasses-301119-greatest-uk-psychedelic-song-poll-3/

Well, the RCG Psych poll show appears to have been...not disastrous.
I don’t often post congratulatory messages on here...basically because I don’t often get any 🤣 but just for a change, here’s parts of a couple of e mails i received today from Steve and Gary. Thanks very much chaps 👍
————-

“Fabulous list! I nearly passed out in anticipation as we got closer to no.1...I am pleased to have played a part in the poll.
Well done Mick, best radio show of the year by a mile”

“hi Mick, thank you for a great and informative presentation of our psychedelic faves, though I'm ashamed to admit I didn't get round to voting...Another observation, you encouraged us to consider the modern era but let's face it nothing from outside the 66-70 bracket is going to penetrate any time soon. How about doing a show next year to cover tracks released between 1980 & 2020? and giving them the recognition they deserve. It would be nice to hear Nick Nicely alongside Kula Shaker, Dukes of Stratosfear, Gorky's, Chemistry set, Inspiral Carpets, Mercury Rev etc etc”
—————

Actually that’s a very interesting idea Gary. Could be worth a go if there’s any interest (he hinted...hoping for feedback 😁).

Ta very muchly indeed to all listeners 👍

Will the poll be published on this forum.😔😊

Great show Mick I appreciatte all your hard work