UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Riley Riley Wood & Waggett 3 x CD digpak

This one's out on Grapefruit on 24th April. Very much wanna get this! text from Cherry Red website

PM:grinning:

Shape Of The Rain: Riley Riley Wood & Waggett, 3CD Digipak
Shape Of The Rain
£17.99

Released April 24, 2020.
Issued by underground imprint RCA Neon in mid-1971, the Shape Of The Rain album “Riley Riley Wood & Waggett” sold poorly at the time despite glowing reviews from the British music weeklies. A surging collision of Beatlesesque writing and harmonies and Byrds-like jingle-jangle guitars, sadly it would take another couple of decades before the LP was finally disinterred by a new generation of record collectors.

DESCRIPTION

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

TRACKLIST
• Issued by underground imprint RCA Neon in mid-1971, the Shape Of The Rain album “Riley Riley Wood & Waggett” sold poorly at the time despite glowing reviews from the British music weeklies. A surging collision of Beatlesesque writing and harmonies and Byrds-like jingle-jangle guitars, sadly it would take another couple of decades before the LP was finally disinterred by a new generation of record collectors.

• Half-a-century after its original release, that lost jewel of an album finally gets the attention it deserves as the cornerstone of Grapefruit’s definitive new 3-CD anthology of a criminally neglected late Sixties/early Seventies British band.

• In addition to that 1971 album, our release features a post-LP single, a clutch of studio demos, taped rehearsals and alternative versions as well as more than a dozen previously-unissued demos of material for an aborted second album. Recorded in 1972 by band leader and chief vocalist/songwriter Keith Riley, these songs are a staggering new find, occupying similar musical territory to newly-solo McCartney, Badfinger man Pete Ham’s home demos and Chris Bell’s post-Big Star work.

• Our release also features some incendiary Shape Of The Rain live recordings, including a 50-minute show from May 1970 that stands as a rare and enthralling document of a West Coast-influenced English psychedelic band captured in full and glorious flow at the turn of the decade.

• Boasting a 24-page booklet that includes numerous rare photos as well as a new history of the band, this expanded, four-hour edition of “Riley Riley Wood & Waggett” features approximately two hours of previously unreleased music.

• It’s a fascinating overview of a band that, with the right handling, could surely have joined the likes of Badfinger, The Raspberries and Big Star as early Seventies proto-power pop avatars of an immediately post-Beatles new dawn.

TRACKLIST
• Issued by underground imprint RCA Neon in mid-1971, the Shape Of The Rain album “Riley Riley Wood & Waggett” sold poorly at the time despite glowing reviews from the British music weeklies. A surging collision of Beatlesesque writing and harmonies and Byrds-like jingle-jangle guitars, sadly it would take another couple of decades before the LP was finally disinterred by a new generation of record collectors.

• Half-a-century after its original release, that lost jewel of an album finally gets the attention it deserves as the cornerstone of Grapefruit’s definitive new 3-CD anthology of a criminally neglected late Sixties/early Seventies British band.

• In addition to that 1971 album, our release features a post-LP single, a clutch of studio demos, taped rehearsals and alternative versions as well as more than a dozen previously-unissued demos of material for an aborted second album. Recorded in 1972 by band leader and chief vocalist/songwriter Keith Riley, these songs are a staggering new find, occupying similar musical territory to newly-solo McCartney, Badfinger man Pete Ham’s home demos and Chris Bell’s post-Big Star work.

• Our release also features some incendiary Shape Of The Rain live recordings, including a 50-minute show from May 1970 that stands as a rare and enthralling document of a West Coast-influenced English psychedelic band captured in full and glorious flow at the turn of the decade.

• Boasting a 24-page booklet that includes numerous rare photos as well as a new history of the band, this expanded, four-hour edition of “Riley Riley Wood & Waggett” features approximately two hours of previously unreleased music.

• It’s a fascinating overview of a band that, with the right handling, could surely have joined the likes of Badfinger, The Raspberries and Big Star as early Seventies proto-power pop avatars of an immediately post-Beatles new dawn.

TRACK LISTING

DISC ONE

1. WOMAN
2. PATTERNS
3. CASTLES
4. WASTING MY TIME
5. ROCKFIELD ROLL
6. YES
7. DUSTY ROAD
8. WILLOWING TREES
9. I’LL BE THERE
10. BROKEN MAN