UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magic Onion & More

Fans of the Television Personalities, Half Man Half Biscuit are gonna love love love The Lovely Eggs. Psych, punk, garage rock, call it what you will this band live and breathe originality. Check out their "Magic Onion" video to get a flavour of their style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNfRF9pBMY

PPP

Re: Magic Onion & More

"long stem carnations" is a very good track from their latest lp. By the way you've probably noticed by now that new music doesn't get much of a response around here. Most of it's residents are happy to wallow in '67 for the rest of their lives. Ciao

No worries, I don't tend to think about music in terms of being new or old, in my book it's either liked or not liked. Just happens that I have a penchant for psych orientated sounds. If people don't want to check out new recommendations that's fine.... "their loss" as they say... but I find it hard to fathom why anyone would make their mind up in advance.... especially if it emulates a genre they already have an affinity for.

Purplepillpusher wrote

No worries, I don't tend to think about music in terms of being new or old, in my book it's either liked or not liked. Just happens that I have a penchant for psych orientated sounds. If people don't want to check out new recommendations that's fine.... "their loss" as they say... but I find it hard to fathom why anyone would make their mind up in advance.... especially if it emulates a genre they already have an affinity for.

I hear what you wrote and I dont agree totally as I myself like Neo Psyche there are some great bands out there and I know lots of folk on here enjoy NP and and other genres . Its getting them to share their views which is the hardest..prob is folk see the word Psychedelia and straight away think of the late 60's
At this dark times tho I dont know why folk dont delve into more NP music but I suppose lots dont really know of any good bands of the genre hence posts like this which give them the opportunity to listen check them out so keep posting them

Agreed Phil. The first thing I played after shutdown began was the newly upgraded Rise Above label various artists 4 x CD collection 'A Band For All Seasons' There's some great music on there and it's cheap. I've been listening to new psyche until it has become itself old psyche! So in today's journalese 1967 psych would be regarded as 'classic psyche' or an even uglier term 'old skool psyche'. I prefer the Shidig approach of it all just being music of or heavily influenced by the 60s but not necessarily stuck in them. I'm a big fan of Glan Prangnell's group Groovy Uncle (new album out now 'The Man Who Calls The Shots'). They play across the 60s stylistic spectrum from beat to pop sike but the lyrics are not '...her brother was a big fan of Oasis' for instance is one lyric I can recall off hand so it spreads across the years. That's how I like to think of it anyway, an ongoing dialogue between the past and the present.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

Check this superb Neo Psyche track out by Silver Sunshine-Velvet Skies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfg6uiZmf4

Now this is what I call Neo Psychedelia at its best

Very nice Phil.I'll have to get that. Interesting that the album is on sale for £2.50 on Discogs and £72 on Amazon MPS!

From around the same time came On Trial's 'Blinded By The Sun' album. I always loved the Scandinavian sound. The blurry pics on the video a:blush: re of various Scandinavian neo garage and psych records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuVQJkvngdA

PM

I’ll plead a little guilty to the charge that I’m buried in ‘67 (and maybe even more ‘68...I love the tail end of all things as it starts to fade...)
But, I do appreciate new psych sounds when I hear about them. I don’t discount them at all. Actually, Paul, did you turn me on to The Apricot? I think they’re Norwegian and owe a debt to the Idle Race’s style of pop-sike. I also love Dungen, or when the Boredoms get weird, or bands of that ilk...
So keep the recommendations coming!😀👍
Joe

Yes, The Apricot from Norway 'A Forest Full of Threes' album from 2011, great stuff.

Paul:slightly_smiling_face: