UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mainstream UK pop goes odd

Hello guys, I've been reading some very old posts,one caught my eye was a post I wrote in 2012 concerning trogg man Chris britton and his solo album as I am,a fabulous album screaming for a legit cd reissue, anyway in that thread of conversation someone mentioned that one of cherry reds labels applied yo licence the troggs and dave dee,dozy,beaky,mick & tich catalogue in the thinking of putting their more psych orientated stuff onto a comp similar to the tremeloes and marmalade psych/pop comps,that sanctuary did years ago and what a great job they did with those, unfortunately universal were not interested, sorry it got me thinking in similar lines as marshmallow skies comp or dream weavers comp released by teensville and Paul martin putting together a mixed comp of groups and singers from the 60s early 70s from the UK who were undeniably categorised as mainstream artistes,ya know groups or singers who recorded maybe that song or 2 or more that were different and rather off centre for them whether it's folky, orchestrated pop, psych, prog whether it be a b side,stuck on an album or even a single, I know you had the odd track from the likes of amen corner and the foundations as examples who recorded the odd odd track, or cilla black...... Ya get the score... It would be nice if the good folk on here could come up with suggestions of tracks that you would like to be put on a compilation or a double cd or if enough tracks a triple cd comp. Another example would be something like moanin by Chris Farlowe, with sitar etc he was more known for his soulful RnB, but a track like this was a anomaly at this time in his catalogue, or tracks from the grumbleweeds in a teknikolour dreem album.I would appreciate your help in this with suggestions of UK artistes, whether released in the UK or abroad, doesn't matter. Ok I'll start off with some,I'm sure most on here will know :
HERMANS HERMITS
museum
Moonshine man
Last bus home
Ace,King, Queen jack
It's alright now
Tallyman (radio session)
Marcels
Daisy chain
Wings of love
It's nice to be out in the morning
KEITH HOPWOOD AND FRIENDS
Sleepy head
the sultans daughter
jumbo freaks
THE TROGGS
from home
Cousin Jane
Night of the long grass
Purple shades
Maybe the madman
Butterflies and bees
When will the rain come
DAVE DEE, DOZY BEAKY,MICK AND TICH
ddd-bmt
Hold tight
All I want to do
Frustration
She's so good
Master liewellyn
He's a raver
Please
If I were a carpenter
Charlie farns barns has won the pools
Last night in soho
First time loving
Bad news
Hideaway
Shame
The sun goes down
The legend of xanadu
Castle far
Still life
Margaretha lidman
Too much (without dave dee)
Rain
Mystery rider (without dave dee)
World (without dave dee)
Festival (without dave dee)
For the use of your son (without dave dee)
Stars
Sweden -DAVE DEE SOLO
TONY RIVERS AND THE CASTAWAYS
pantomime
turn of the century
HARMONY GRASS
first time of loving
Summer dreaming
I've seen to dream
Mrs Richie
Ballad of Michael
UNIT 4+2
Booby trap
Would you believe what I say (the unit)
butterfly
So you want to be a blues player
I will
VANITY FARE
In the beginning (the sages)
I live for the sun
Betty Carter
Man child
Megowd (something tells me)
Nowhere to go
Angel
CLIFF RICHARD
take action
always
for Emily whenever I may find her
Throw down a line (with hank Marvin)
the joy of living (with hank Marvin)
HANK MARVIN
Sacha
love and occasional rain
Boogatoo
Goodnight dick
Sunday for seven days
Londons not too far
MARVIN WELCH & FARRAR
tiny robin
Simplify your head
Throw down a line
a thousand conversations
Silvery rain
Wish you were here
the time to care
galadriel (spirit of starlight)
BRIAN BENNETT
tricycle
chameleon
THE SHADOWS
naughty nippon nights
the letter
let me take you there
the day I met Marie
A better man than I
my babe
Paperback writer
Scotch on the rocks
SANDIE SHAW
reviewing the situation
with the sun in my eyes
oh gosh
DAVE CLARK FIVE
you don't want my loving
Small talk
tabatha twitchit
inside and out
good love is hard to find
Lost In his dreams
Concentration baby
THE GOODIES (UK TV show)
fun palace take 1
travelling theme take 3
changed version 1
Kitten Kong take 5
BLUE MINK
Gidda wadda hobble
Silk what?
Sweet and sour
Sunday
Warm days warm nights
Whole lotta love (live)
Spirit in the sky
SCAFFOLD
Goodbat nightman
Buttons of your mind
Goose
Jelly covered cloud
Uptown and downtown
Take off your little wooly vest
Take it while you can
SPARROW(featuring Elaine page)
Nightmare
Many things are clear
Roller coaster
Dream song
Hiawatha
AMEN CORNER
lost and found
Nema
Satisnek the jobs worth
HUDSON.FORD
solitude
I don't understand
Tea leaf (to joss)
WAYNE FONTANA
the sun's so hot today
The impossible years
In my world
We all love the human race
The words of bartholomew
Waiting for a break in the clouds
I'm in love
Star of eastern Street
Internal circle
THE MINDBENDERS
tricky dicky
Little nightingale
Don't cry no more
Rockin jaybee
I want her she wants me
The morning after
Far across town
Schoolgirl
Airport people
My new day and age
Yellow brick road
Uncle Joe the ice cream man
The man who loved trees
DAVE BERRY
Hidden
Love has gone out of your life
Forever
And I have learned to dream
Do I figure in your life
Latisha
And the clock on the steeple struck 13
My baby left me
Dying daffodil incident
Chaplin house
CLIFFORD T WARD
attraction
Path through the forest
Trousers
Naughty boy (simons secrets)
I'll keep on closing my eyes
Infatuation (the secrets)
Teacher
I know what her name is (simons secrets)
The mule
Keeping my head above water (simons secrets)
TOOMORROW (featuring Olivia newton john)(ok not really fully UK)
Taking our own sweet time
Let's move on
THE HERD
I can fly
From the underworld
Paradise lost
Our fairy tale
Miss Jones
Beauty Queen
Something strange
She loves me she loves me not
STEVE ELLIS (formerly of love affair)
stealth in the night
The undertaker song
Loots the root
Jingle jangle jasmine
Holly holy
Gimme shelter
Sympathy
THE LOVE AFFAIR
Hush
60 minutes of your love
Could I be dreaming
So sorry
Once upon a season
The tree
Let me know
All along the watchtower (colour me pop August 69)
Walk on gilded splinters (BBC Nov 69)
Sea of tranquillity (gus eadon -vocalist from now on)
Speak of peace sing of joy
New day
Walking down the road
Gees whizz
Gypsy
Hurt by love
Thank you bean
JUDAS JUMP
Rockin chair
Bossa jump
Cry De cry
Colly
RICHARD HARRIS (I know he's irish)
paper chase
The yard went on forever
The hive
TO BE CONTINUED

Re: Mainstream UK pop goes odd

Here's some more that I've been scrummaging around looking at albums and comps, I don't know if I made it clear, it doesn't have to be psych,it's basically UK groups or artistes who were more associated with the charts and more mainstream, but did do something different to what they were better known for, whether it's ventures into orchestrated pop, folk type songs, psych, prog, baroque like,late 60s early 70s heavy rock,whether on albums,unusual A sides, stuck on B sides, or unreleased at the time.As my first post shows, you'll get the idea. Thank you very much!!
Here I go again :
MIKE D'ABO
see the little people
the ladder (when the sun comes shining through)
BILLIE DAVIS
there must be a reason
living in the past
make the feeling go away
angel of the morning
CHRISTIE
magic highway
Martian King
I believe in you
TOM JONES (very early 70s brassed out funky soul)
polk salad Annie
I thank you
resurrection shuffle
Lodi
Dance of love (live 1971)
MICHAEL MCGEAR (ex scaffold+maccas brother)
jolly good show
Uptowndowntown
sea breezes
Norton
Simply love you
What do we really know (monitor mix)
Blowin in the bay (demo)
Keep cool both versions (TV ad)
MARIANNE FAITHFUL
sally free and easy
sunny goodge Street
She moved thru the fair (with sitar)
Wild mountain Thyme
Don't make promises you can't keep
In the night time
With you in mind
Young girl blues
Hang onto a dream
Rosie rosie
PAUL JONES
Would you believe
Song about Mary
Little Sadie
Sold to the highest bidder
Take care
All the time in the world
Come into my music box
Celeste
Homburg
I'm here to nudge your mind
The dog presides
When I was six years old
Cats eyes
And you say I'm too dependent on my mind
Who are the masters
Voices(from unreleased 1972 vertigo album)
Life story (from unreleased 1972 vertigo album)
Marooned (from unreleased 1972 vertigo album)
PETER SARSTEDT
no more lollipops
Sayonara
Mary Jane
Many coloured semi precious plastic easter Egg
Overture
The friendship song (hey Nena)
National anthem & doors close
Frozen orange juice
DON FARDON
I get so excited
Back in the USSR
Coming on strong
On the beach
I'm alive
Baby let me take you home
6.10 phoenix gone
Captain man
The dreaming room
GRAHAM(E) BOND
love is the law
Our love will come shining through
Crossroads of time
Strange times sad times
Pictures in the fire
Baroque
Freaky beak
LORD SUTCH
the cheat
Flashing lights
Smoke and fire
Brightest light
Cause I love you
KIKI DEE
Take a look at me
Patterns
Sunshine
He was really saying something
On a magic carpet ride
MADELINE BELL
Gotta get away from here
Ain't gonna cry any more
What am I supposed to do
SHIRLEY BASSEY
Something
Spinning wheel
The sea and sand
Light my fire
SAMANTHA JONES
do I still figure in your life
I go to sleep
CLODAGH RODGERS
Together
Spider
Wolf
LUTHER GROSVENER (aka ariel bender)
When I met you
Love the way
Rocket
Under open skies
DAVID HEMMINGS (well known actor starred in blow up)
Back Street mirror
Good King James
Bell birds
Anathea
Wars Mystery
The soldier wind
THE SALLYANGIE (sally oldfield with Mike)
Lady Mary
Children of the sun
A lover for all seasons
Love in ice crystals
The murder of the children of San Francisco
Song of the healer
MIKE OLDFIELD (1969 guitar improvs)
branches
A sad song for rosie
SALLY OLDFIELD
Colour of the world
Two ships
COLIN BLUNSTONE
She's not there
Hung upside down
Without her
Twelve twenty nine
World of glass
Never my love
(all previous tracks under pseudonym of Neil macarthur)
She loves the way they love her
Smokey day
Mary won't you warm my bed
Her song
Say you don't mind

You probably noticed this list is mainly solo performers, that wasn't the original plan,but there we go, some of you may dislike some of the stuff in this list as there's a mixture of sounds from soul,folk,funk, orchestrated pop and psych.
TO BE CONTINUED

That’s quite a haul Stewart. Never heard most of those. Sounds interesting.

Nice work Stuart. You obviously have plenty of spare time atm?

Hiya Greg, Yeh still in lockdown in Edinburgh, so very limited to what I can do, been in the house 2 months now and as you can imagine boredom and laziness are really setting in,there's only so much Netflix etc you can watch, so I was playing the DD,D,B,M & T box set, and realised they made some great left of field music, I'd also read that cherry Red tried to licence their stuff and the troggs to make a similar type of comp that tremeloes and marmalade got with the psych/pop sessions, but it all fell through. So it got me thinking, not a psych/pop mix, but artistes mainly known for pop hits or kinda straight sounds etc but veered into different territory to what they're better known for, whether it be into folk, soul, funk psych, prog.... whatever. So I started pulling out cds and giving them an ear, and started picking out songs that were little known to many people,like the heavy brassed up funky soul tracks by Tom Jones,or the covers from Shirley bassey of rock songs on her something album from 1970, folk would be surprised at that I think. So it's just a wee project I've gave myself, which is ongoing to pass up much time, so there will be other posts with more that I find, all UK,I mean I've got the likes of the rocking berries,swinging blue jeans, Billy fury,marty wilde(adopted brit),the strawbs, cilla black, the mojos, the beegees,Lionel Bart and loads of others.

MOR please Stuart...and checkout The King Singers - "Orange Yellow Ochre"

So many great songs I will never get to hear Stuart. What a magical time for music that was.

Perhaps we need to define the statement "Mainstream UK pop goes odd"
Not so much odd as conteporarenous with prevailing trends. It creeps in all over the product from 67 onwards. I think there is far more depth to the pop-sike circus days stuff than we have yet fully acknowledged.

The eleanorrigsbyism of MARTY WILDE
https://youtu.be/6rhtPAUuhGk

This hiply swinging chorus from BARBARA WINDSOR:
https://youtu.be/j4fdetkW3Kc

The epic orchestral rush of CRAIG DOUGLAS
https://youtu.be/h5Kz2nqeZ-s

..and all of the above from DUFFY POWER
https://youtu.be/u4faVINTFO0

What I really mean is performers,singers, groups who many know from chart hits or nothing too much out of the ordinary who delved into music not necessary associated with their known sound, but the late 60s was such a quick changing time concerning music and let's not forget technology in the studio, that I love hearing stuff from just as an example like tom Jones who most of the public know for delilah, green green grass of home and the likes, but if they looked outside the box the man couid funk it up with the best of them, and that was what was so special about the late 60s and early 70s, a big hotch potch of different sounds from the funky beginnings, of psychedelia which for a summer at least had a massive effect on music in every corner from Easy listening, movie soundtracks, chart pop music, folk,world music,blues jazz, it tinted many, even matt Monroe, Andy Williams,Adam faith, billy fury, all had at least one song that has that influence whether in studio effects or technology, or in the type of song they recorded, even Roy orbison cut a fab piece of major experimental pop veering on the freakier side of things,this wouid not have happened if it wasn't for the influence and money making side of psychedelia, and let's not forget a comedy group the grumbleweeds released an album in 1972 that has its share of adventurous pop, and chubby checker and his well good psych album.psych had a big effect on music, it was a phase no doubt about that but it opened up opportunities for so called mainstream artistes to explore and experiment even just for one or two songs that is a side of psych I truly love and find fascinating, like cilla black covering a skip bifferty song, produced by George martin of course, but she did it justice, it was a good cover!! But there's many examples of groups /singers stepping out of their "straight"pop or cabaret act veering into massive orchestrated pop territory, or acoustic folky finger picking vibe or into West coast country sound,or freaky soul or Hammond groove hip sounds!! Anything that was such a leap in sound to what they had recorded before.... I hope my headline mainstream pop goes odd, makes more sense to you, when I say odd I don't necessary mean odd sounding to us, but odd for the groups /singers and their usual fans, many dislike this commercial brand of oddness, as just bandwagon jumpers, who cares? It's the music that matters to me, and there's many great songs out there that would fit into this labelling, Cliff Richard anyone? James last anyone??

You're pushing an open door (mind).
Take Scott Walker.The guitar sound and subject matter on The Plague must have veritably freeeeaaaaaked out his fans.https://youtu.be/DUWKpRXMZ1w
But then I hear untold portent and mystery in Roger Whittaker's "I Don't believe in If Anymore". https://youtu.be/AY-2einPmd4
Maybe i'm "Feeling Unwell" https://youtu.be/5KlaoB7xjDE as Barry Ryan opines

(sorry if that opens up a morbid question)

Don't forget Vince Hill's When The World Is Ready, a hippy ballad with sitar twangs.

I may put together another list in this continuing vibe, I've got one nearly done but ive found my motivation very small and being lazy,so hence there's been no follow up on this thread as im no too sure if folks want to see more or or if I can muster the interest and enthusiasm plus the motivation to go through my collection picking out more of the same from albums, b sides, unreleased recordings, singles,though I have a list of stuff from the search to start this thread from earlier, but I need to sift and listen to more,and it's not filling me with enthusiasm at this time, I usually enjoy doing that type of stuff.I'll see how it goes,I appreciate folk taking time to read and show interest in it anyway, so thank you.

I had a look at this post from a year ago,and as usual my mood and motivation went from up to the sky to below the ground within days of starting this list of artistes and songs,i did have others listed,and ready to go last year....but because i was annoyed with myself,with frustration ,paranoia etc,i binned those lists......lol....,now i'm looking to start again,right through my UK 60s and 70s cds,starting at A....to note acts that tried something different to their usual fare,i'll try and stick to the years 65 to 75,a 10 year bridge,that just verges on the starting inklings of punk,and prog music was looked at as a monstrosity,where melody had been lost to virtuosity,pretentiousness and showing off..leading to triple albums and in many cases boredom...mind you saying that i'm listening to a 1975 progressive pop album by Kestrel this second as i write....its enjoyable!!!

Anyway as usual,i'm going off subject,it would be great,if anyone can be bothered,or are interested enough to throw in suggestions,as its been quite quiet here lately,i know i can get lacklustre a lot,probably too much,hence i vanish for ages and pop up again,thats just my life in general to be honest.....anyway thank you for putting up with my waffling,im kind off itching to start looking again,this time,i'll also include information on year,where the song appears,either a B side,originally unreleased or an album track as examples,and what cd the song is available on.....as theres no vinyl in my flat.

Ill not include any of the ones i mentioned already in this list on this thread.
Cheers everyone,i hope youre all doing ok and feeling ok.
Stuart

Looking forward to it Stuart.

Fantastic list! I understand where you're going based on the small number of songs from the list that I'm actually familiar with. Just wondering if there are any compilations out there that do a good job of mining this area. Seems right up Cherry Red's alley.

mb

MOR please Stuart...MOOOOOR

For those that don't know, Stuart has been hit by the virus. Best wishes to him and hoping for a full recovery.:face_with_thermometer: :face_with_thermometer:

Get well soon Stuart, hope you don't have it bad mate.

Paul:wink:

Get well soon Stuart.😀

Oh shit... heal fast Stuart!

Get well soon Stuart.

Hope ye are on the mend soon Stuart Miss Minnie misses you

I read on Fb that dear Stuart is on the mend hopefully he will be home soon to Minnie

Good news!

Good afternoon peeps,
Many thanks for the kind words.
Yes unfortunately i got very ill with Covid,and spent over a week in hospital,it was one of the worst weeks ive had and the most ill ive felt,but luckily i've been let home,i'm very weak,i'm still sick,i've lost a lot of weight,i'm absolutely exhausted,but i'll happily take as long as it takes for me and my body to regain energy and strength,and i'm over the moon to be with my wee feline companion Minnie.......i missed her lots and probably worried about her than i did myself.
Also there was a few packages on the floor when i got home,the Tintern Abbey,Fire,Grandfather"Dear Mr Time",The Woods Band and the compilation"Choctaw Ridge"......so hopefully over the next few days,i'll get round to spinning those cds,ive had the opportunity to play most of the Bob Stanley comp"Choctaw Ridge"The New Fables Of The American South 1968-73.This has utterly surprised me,i am thoroughly enjoying this.....because the track selection by Bob Stanley is immaculate,i'm not a country fan,in fact its one of my least enjoyable genres(for example i dislike enormously The Byrds country era),but this is more funky southern swampy at times with a slight vibe of country,but NOT nashville traditional country with steel guitar galore,though of course it does feature,this is Bobby Gentry,Tony Joe White,Lee Hazelwood,Jim Ford and that type of groovy late 60s vibe of working class life,where Bobby Gentry became a pop star,the likes of her albums and Tony Joe White albums are tremendous,this is an extension of that sound,my least favourite is Mike Nesmith track"Joanne"i've never been a big fan of his Country rock excursions with The Monkees or his early 70s albums,though i do agree he was kinda ahead of the curve with the country rock thing.It's a genre that can on the occassion ring with me with the more cosmic spaced country...or it just leaves me utterly cold,and i cant turn it off quick enough,i'm not a big lover of the sound of the steel guitar,sorry but it does not connect with me at all,in fact i find it as attractive as nails across a blackboard.Give me the first 3 Grateful Dead albums anyday over Workingmans dead and American Beauty.......sorry but i find them utterly boring.....great if you want to doze off.

Thats my feedback on the comp,i recommend it,and my view on country rock in general...hopefully i'll leave some feedback on the other cds ive received.

Thanks again peeps for the good wishes!!

Michael,there is a cracking cd comp titled"Marshmallow Skies"released by Teensville label,but it's mainly US stuff,with a few UK acts,i'd recommend that if you want to hear more way out stuff by 4 Seasons,Del Shannon,Billy Fury,Gene Vincent etc,it's a very enjoyable comp.

Also about 20 years ago,Paul Martin who is a frequent visitor here,put together a cdr series called "Dream Weavers",which was in the same ballpark of mainstream pop acts etc doing something different...i'm sure not long after Paul came up with this concept,a grey area label put together something similar,it may have been 3 cds or something,i seem to vaguely remember this.....can anyone else remember this release?

Paul if you see this,how many Dream Weavers did you do?If possible,can you remember the tracklists at all??Thank you.

Thanks Stuart. And glad to see you're on the mend! I'll definitely check out Marshmallow Skies. It's funny you mention Dream Weavers. That was what immediately came to mind when I originally read this thread, but I couldn't remember the name of the comp, only that it was a CDR that I received many years ago from Paul Martin. I just dug it out and look forward to getting reacquainted. My sleeve didn't have a volume number, but the tracks included cuts from Tommy Roe, Rick Nelson, Bill Ramsey, Billy Fury, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Lou Christie Saco, the Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent, the Ventures, Bobby Darrin, Brian Hyland, Marvin & Farrar, Hank Marvin, the Shadows, Cliff & Hank, Bobby Vee, and the Four Seasons.

mb