UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Johnny Hallyday

I was reading about some Johnny Hallyday albums yesterday and noticed he did a load of covers of UK tracks plus a album had a Pyschey looking cover and was wondering if he covered or sang any psychedelic tracks..Anyone?

Re: Johnny Hallyday

He had his moments in the late 60s and early 70s before reverting to mums and dads pleasing rock'n' roll type thereafter.

I have the two titles below which are full of great stuff on RPM no filler (if you like good quality beat and swinging pop):

Johnny Hallyday - Le Roi De France 1966-69 (RPM CD). Sample it on the German Bear Family website:
https://www.bear-family.com/hallyday-johnny-le-roi-de-france-1966-69-cd.html

Johnny Halliday - Riviere...Ovre Ton Lit (Phillips, France, 1969, reissued 2000s

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Johnny-Hallyday-Riviere-Ouvre-Ton-Lit/174253211224?hash=item28924cfe58:g:4vIAAOSwssdemORD

I think much if not alo f this album is contained on the RPM anthology above anyway. I have the original LP from '69. It has various Small Faces and other Brit musos on it as Hallyday hand-picked them for his band to be :slightly_smiling_face: on the record.

Le Roi De France 1966-69 ... c'est top:ok_hand:

In addition to sessions with a transitioning Small Faces/Humble Pie, he was working with the State of Mickey & Tommy in this period. There's a number of crackers but I'd strongly recommend "Au pays Des Aveugles" (Land of the Blind).Kicks off sounding like the opening to Sam & Daves's "Soul Man" then quickly rummbles into a very brooding number with blasts of psychy strings.C'est extra!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIREY4WhxA

Thanks for all the info guys it will give me some albums to search out while locked up

Re: Johnny Halliday

The Johnny Halliday you mentioned Paul is superb

here is a link
Johnny Halliday - riviere...ouvre ton lit 1969

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1vigontu97dx9ns/Johnny_Halliday_-_riviere...ouvre_ton_lit_1969.zip/file

Phil there's an article in shindig magazine issue 77 about the psych era period of Johnny Hallyday,I have quite a few cd reissues of Johnny Hallydays recordings made between 1965-1970,and there's some fabulous stuff, much of it recorded in London with some top sessioneers, Johnny Hallyday had a lot to do with the state of micky and tommy who wrote many of his songs played on them and in some cases produced them,and of course his connection with Steve marriot and Ronnie Lane, he recorded a few small faces numbers that feature them, including the earlysmall faces psych number that man,the most psych album he recorded was the 1969 album which you've already mentioned, that's a pretty hard psych album compared to everything else he recorded. But he'd recorded a few psych numbers before that one like a song called simply psychedelic which I'm sure features jimmy page,he also played on another cracking number called a tout casser, his 1968 album jeune homme which features that track and another goody titled au pays des aveugles is a mixed bag but certainly worthwhile hearing, also I wanted to mention the 1966 album la generation perdue which features many songs popular at the time and to my ears is a snapshot of the sounds permeating around swinging London and further afield. He recorded an album reve et amour in 1968 which I highly recommend,fabulous arrangements and songwriting by state of micky and tommy, with a real pop sheen with psych overtones, Iove this album!! Then of course the self titled 69 album with the small faces involvement is his psych opus,no doubt about that, one album after that was que je t'aime from 1970 which was a live album which I don't have but have heard some of it sounds worthwhile too, so I'm looking out for a cd of that one, but those late 60s recordings are well worth having for any 60s music lover,whether pop,psych or soul infected numbers is your thing. A very under rated and undervalued time in his career, but happily much available on cd now. Of course he was married to French singer sylvie vartan who state of micky and tommy also worked with, some of her later 60s recordings are worth hearing, finally the recordings by state of micky and tommy themselves are excellent too,some prime UK pop and psych recorded by them, with Julian waits a cracking track to behold, they recorded as nimrod too, but there's a cd of their recordings issued by magic a French label featuring their later 60s recordings, a very interesting time concerning them. Glad you brought up johnny Hallyday Phil, I love this time from him,great stuff but eventually he moved on to other sounds and major success which are not that interesting to me.

Thanks for the info Stuart I'll be looking at those other albums

Ah oui. Sylvie with Reg Guest pulling the strings at Stanhope Place, Marble Arch.
https://youtu.be/2nakm18VHnA

Stuart thanks for the tip about Shindig 77 I got the mag off ebay and a really good write up very informative so ta for that

Johnny Halliday - Le Roi De France 1966-69.

Didn't think this would be my bag but was pleasantly surprised. For those sitting on the fence I'd say give it a whirl. Pop-psych, Chanson, Pop-francais to be expected.

PPP