UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Offspring unreleased LP

Not sure if people are familiar with the early 70s Offspring or not, they released only 1 45 on RCA in 1972 - Windfall/She lives in a big house, a progressive pop charmer, both sides on Youtube. Anyway, I am in touch with the singer/guitarist and they recorded an unreleased LP at the time and it is fantastic, all similar to the 45, progressive pop with flute and just fantastically well written, melodic and inventive. I am trying to hook them up with someone to release it and I want their music to get the best possible treatment. I have contacted Andrew Morton Jack at Flashback as I think he does a wonderful job on these sorts of releases, but I was just wondering who else to contact - Nigel Lees at Top Sounds perhaps? Anyone else?

Re: Offspring unreleased LP

For those unfamiliar, here are the currently available tracks:

Both sides of their 45:

Acetate only track:

Their appearance on 2 Gs and the Pop People:

I don’t have any helpful info, but cool to hear those songs. The second one reminded me of stuff on the End’s “Last Word” or Tucky Buzzard’s “Coming On Again.”

Not sure it'll get the best possible treatment but maybe Guerssen or Wah Wah in Spain (for vinyl) and Real Gone or one of the Cherry Red labels (for CD).

that was 3 good songs,thoroughly enjoyed them,so thank you for sharing them,particularly the acetate.quite an eclectic sound but very accessible and in parts very pleasant,the a side reminds me of early 70s duo evensong,who have the 1 album,the b side has a real progressive pop sound,with the organ making them sound different from the a side,as for the acetate,darkness,another very fine number,id love to see a full album from this group if those 3 tracks are anything to go by!!
Theres one label and person that i can think of is slipstream records,run by Jason Smith who also does the magazine fantastic expedition.Hes issued the likes of country funk,country,tom snow,kudos and worth all on cd.
Heres the web address for slipstream records:"www.slipstreamrecords.com".
Its worth getting in touch,the times ive dealt with Jason he seems very nice,if the standard of this album is as high as those 3 tracks,i'm sure someone will be interested in realeasing this unreleased album.
The only other labels i can think of are the labels under the cherry red banner,like Grapefruit,cherry tree,or RPM.
Good luck with your hunting and getting a release for offspring and their unreleased album,on Cherry Reds site they actually have a part where you can suggest releases,so maybe dropping them a line and telling your story and possibly dropping off the 3 tracks to them as a sample of the material,someone like Dave Wells who was behind the tenth planet/wooden hill labels,but is now involved with Grapefruit Records,im sure would be interested to hear this album as it sounds like the type of thing that could be up his street!!