Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Seelie Court label

Hi all,

this is a new label (to me anyway) thats releasing a number of rare recordings. Anybody got any more info? Apparently there are a number of unreleased Warhorse albums to be released.

https://upcomingvinyl.com/label/seelie-court

Re: Seelie Court label

I see discogs have a list of recordings the label has done all in 2020 Warhorse is mentioned

Interestingly a lot of the listings on Discogs for this label have comments/reviews by someone called Black Shuck. I could be wrong about this but based upon some of the comments made, and some previous dealings I had on ebay with someone using the same name, I strongly suspect that this is actually the same person who formed the original Kissing Spell reissue label, don't really want to name him here but I'm sure everyone knows who this was. The style of the releases on this label would tend to back that up as a lot of them are stylistically close to the sort of thing that Kissing Spell were releasing. Black Shuck also seems to have some knowledge of forthcoming releases on Stelie Court which would lead me to the conjecture that he is in some way connected to the label itself.

Ellie is that good news or negative news?

I'll let you decide about that. There were some very welcome releases on Kissing Spell but at least one album which was purporting to be a rerelease of a rare album had bits added to it and another was released as a live album but was actually studio recordings with fake audience noise. He did make some very hard to find music available though and that has to be applauded. Some of the things on this new label are extremly difficult to find too so as long as they're straight reissues and are not messed around with then I think that should be applauded too.

Yes kissing spell messed about with the Axe album including flanging effects and in particular messing about with one song, which is the first cd reissue of this rare recording!! this has since been released again, but this time with no messing about with the mix of the recordings, this time issued under the real name crystaline as axe music, a fab little UK psych album,there's also a supposed live album, which I've not heard that kissing spell released also

In general I like kissing spell as a label,they issued many of the recordings made at holyground studios, like astral navigation, thundermother, jumble lane, GYGAFO amongst many others from this studio, they have issued many little known late 60s and mainly early to mid 70s folk and folk rock albums from the UK and Ireland,they also did a rare cd of mellow candle, including songs I'm sure that are not on the fabulous swaddling songs album, those are demos etc and is a great cd release,they also issued a Dark cd set of alternate recordings and demos,one wee complaint about many of their releases is the often scant liners, not a lot of information on many of those releases, many albums they have reissued are so rare, so it would be great to know more about them, but maybe they didn't have any more info as those records are that rare! Many of their cds can be quite pricey, some are impossible to find now, so it's a good label concerning many rare and often unheard recordings and albums, so I thank them for giving the likes of me the opportunity to hear those recordings!!some truly fabulous folk, acid folk and folk rock cd reissues.

Thirteen releases all coming out at a similar time? I can only find one related to Warhorse. Most seem to be folk related.

Let's just hope all the artist get some penny...

Thats unfortunate,obviously i don't know or even heard about the person who runs the label,i was talking about their releases,i've no idea if royalties are paid out,i've got most of the cds from Amazon,to be honest i don't know many music lovers who ask themselves that question of royalties when they see a cd or album they would like to have,i mean if we got into the legalities of music,whether a cd or an album,before we bought them,most of us would not have some of the music we have!!I think most collectors have bootlegs or things that fall into that grey area in their collection.The music industry unfortunately is reknowned for rip off merchants,whether a major label or some tiny wee label,or an internet seller,mailorder or dodgy wee reissue labels,like radioactive,fallout and other umpteen other labels,as far as i know many with involvement from the same people,i mean radioactive was absolute cruddy product,brutal,but at that time those albums they issued on cd were not available for decades,so of course people bought them,they evolved into fallout as far as i know,which improved their product,including liners,very scant,improvement in sound quality too,but small legit labels like RPM,grapefruit,and others that fell by the wayside were having to compete with those illegal releases,as those legit labels had to deal with licensing etc,those illegal cds or albums and many many psych comps did not,i mean most of the psych comps that are revered by psych enthusiasts are or where bootleg comps.Not legit releases,but thank goodness for the likes of Cherry Red and all their labels who have been giving us mainly excellent products,i mean the 3 cd clamshell boxsets have proved very popular,and at great prices with excellent packaging and booklets.Of course if i had a choice between a legit cd or a boot cd of the same album,i'd buy the legit cd everytime even if it is far more expensive.If theres albums not been officially released or repressed as yet,people will but an illegal copy if there was one out.I've went off on one here i know,but it's unfortunate the chap who is behind kissing spell is supposedly an unpleasant person according to someone on here.I don't like unpleasant people!!

Thanks for the input all. There are 50 releases lined up apparently so that might be where the other Warhorse LPs are. I have that Axe live CD Stuart but from memory its ok cover versions. Found it in a record shop in Singapore of all places along with a couple of other Kissing Spell releases.

I too don't know the individual involved in Seelie Court but might get one or two of the LPs. If anyone has a copy of any of the SC releases maybe they could let us know how they sound?

Paul Clarke
Thanks for the input all. There are 50 releases lined up apparently so that might be where the other Warhorse LPs are. I have that Axe live CD Stuart but from memory its ok cover versions. Found it in a record shop in Singapore of all places along with a couple of other Kissing Spell releases.

I too don't know the individual involved in Seelie Court but might get one or two of the LPs. If anyone has a copy of any of the SC releases maybe they could let us know how they sound?
Where do you see about 50 Seelie Court releases?

Hi Gian,

If you look at the first post, there is also a schedule for the early releases.

https://www.discogs.com/user/black-shuck/reviews?header=1&page=2

Thanks Paul, I thought the missing ones were already listed somewhere ;)

hey i am late to the party here, what exactly has he done regarding kissing sprll?? I plan on Buying some these records be ive wanted them reissued for a while, but id like to know about the founder if hes a jerk

I've never managed to find a website for them which I find rather curious if it's a legit label.

Mar 15th, 2021 - 3:33 PM

Ian Johnson
hey i am late to the party here, what exactly has he done regarding kissing sprll?? I plan on Buying some these records be ive wanted them reissued for a while, but id like to know about the founder if hes a jerk

Let's just say there were things put out on Kissing Spell that were not what they claimed to be, what the band recorded or what the buyer thought they were paying for.

My experiences of him are that he is a very nasty, unpleasant and dubious character. That's just my personal opinion, I'm sure his mother loves him.

please elaborate. I pretty much buy..well REAL music by REAL artists so what are the fake recordings?? I'm pretty sure most of them are real. I know that axe lp had the Fake Audience noise, but what else

Black Shuck
In English folklore, Black Shuck, Old Shuck, Old Shock or simply Shuck is the name given to an East Anglian ghostly black dog which is said to roam the coastline and countryside of East Anglia, one of many ghostly black dogs recorded in folklore across the British Isles. Wikipedia
There is a Black Shuck Records as well but it only has records by Big Bill Morganfield..son of Muddy Waters

More info here-

https://www.discogs.com/label/1913411-Seelie-Court/reviews

Unseelie Court.

Unseelie Court is the sister label of Seelie Court. It will be releasing unknown/unreleased punk and post punk records. All of the Seelie Court releases are authentic and sensitively remastered. As much as possible they are done with explicit formal artist permission. If the artists are truly uncontactable then they are clearly declared as Musicians Missing In Action (MMIA), hopefully they will get in touch and get their due rewards! No there isn't a website, SC is an analogue operation as much as possible. Why does everyone need a website? Likewise SC do not give LPs away to magazines etc. hence, guess what: no reviews. Heaven forfend that the only way you review something is if you get it for free. The LPs have exclusive distribution by fminor and all releases so far have been sold out to the major retailers. There are 12 further issues due to be released in the early summer, Covid has caused delays. Look on the Juno website for details. Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Of course it's not necessary for everyone to have a website. However, when you put a website address on your record sleeves then is it not reasonable for your customers to expect that site to actually exist?

I have 3 Seelie Court lps -Flux, Lifeblud and John Strang, they are all beautifully presented with textured Gatefold sleeves and the sleevenotes are by the bands! So its obvious they are legal editions. I found this forum looking for more info about the label, their website isn't working, maybe they have "placeheld" the domain. What i find a bit strange is the nasty vibe on your forum, lots of negative speculation and someone who seems to have a chip on his shoulder or jealous making comments when he/she doesnt even seem to have the lps!

I don't see any connection to Kissing Spell, and anyway that was a very good label and official, I for one was very happy to get Dark on CD for a tenner and from Master Tapes too! They have 140 releases on Discogs! Is Purple Pumpkin claiming Dark, Sindelfingen, Stone Angel etc are fake!? Thats rubbish, and i heard both Axe lps were altered with the bands agreement. I don't believe anyone ever met or knew the owner of that label, though i remember he had a reputation for calling a Spade a Spade, and its true the sleevenotes were scanty. Did anyone here ever hear their Dancer CD ? Its fantastic and Anthony Minghella was in the band! Director of The English Patient. How did they pull that off ? I wish it was on Vinyl though.

Back to Seelie Court, they announced 12 new LPs on Discogs, and i can recommend the quality of the 3 i own , Lifeblud is brilliant, Flux is pure Progressive but is a bit intense to listen to, and John Strang's lp is lovely. There are press cuttings, lyrics, and sleeve notes by band members in the Gatefolds, and John Strang' s lp has an extra insert.

Discogs also mentions that they have scheduled lps up to number 80 on the catalogue numbers, im into music, not gossipy whinging i don't know about you lot, if any label is going to issue 80 Prog lps I'm all for it!!!

Copied and Pasted from a Discogs post - frankly fantasic if these really come out I'd need a 2nd Mortgage to buy the originals. Says sleevenotes are all by the bands, including Mourning Phase and that must be the first time they have been found, no one i know knows anything about who they were. Also says RICK WAKEMAN has written some sleevnotes. If this is all true its maybe the best new label for Donkeys Years.

sclp 007 grannie (1971) sleevenotes by band & family

sclp 009 ntp (1969) mmia series

sclp 010 barney james and warhorse - koneg the second coming (1975) sleevenote by Rick Wakeman

sclp 011 motiffe (1973) sleevenotes by band

sclp 012 isolation (1973) + free DVD of 1973 Isolation film, a beautifully shot 18 minute piece reminiscent of new wave cinema made to accompany live performances of the lp in 1973, sleevenotes by band

sclp 013 mourning phase (1971) sleevenotes by 3 band members

sclp 014 bertie (1970) sleevenotes by band & pals

sclp 015 crooked oak - from little acorns grow (1975/76) by kind permission Steve Evans widow

sclp 016 slave - the poet, the lover and the madman (1969) mmia series

sclp 017 the benjamin delaney lion - satori (1969) sleevenotes by band

sclp 018 steve brown band - soul full of sin (1972-1973) a lost masterpiece

sclp 019 hellmet - judgement day (1970) sleevenotes by band

sclp 020 - sclp 080 are confirmed and scheduled. most are hitherto unknown british undergound lps

PS . Here is an Online Blog i found from someone who bought all the Seeley Court LPs so far. He seems to be in Germany or Japan, the same Blog is also on a Japanese site in Japanese language. He gives everything glowing reviews. I cant find anything else online, Black Shack on Discogs gives a lot of information, i read more of his posts there and they seem more knowledgable than Posts on your site!!! No offence, but for example he blows the whistle on how many Vertigo lps were made and lots of people approved of that. It also seems likely that Nose Plate who posted above is part of the label or the owner.

Read This . The reviewer says the label is excellent and reviews all the LPs

https://deref-mail.com/mail/mobile/CmVpY8iAlC0/deref/?redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fpopgruppen.com%2F2021%2F04%2F07%2Ffaerie-tales-from-seelie-court%2F

Pict Power
I have 3 Seelie Court lps -Flux, Lifeblud and John Strang, they are all beautifully presented with textured Gatefold sleeves and the sleevenotes are by the bands! So its obvious they are legal editions. I found this forum looking for more info about the label, their website isn\'t working, maybe they have \"placeheld\" the domain. What i find a bit strange is the nasty vibe on your forum, lots of negative speculation and someone who seems to have a chip on his shoulder or jealous making comments when he/she doesnt even seem to have the lps!

I don\'t see any connection to Kissing Spell, and anyway that was a very good label and official, I for one was very happy to get Dark on CD for a tenner and from Master Tapes too! They have 140 releases on Discogs! Is Purple Pumpkin claiming Dark, Sindelfingen, Stone Angel etc are fake!? Thats rubbish, and i heard both Axe lps were altered with the bands agreement. I don\'t believe anyone ever met or knew the owner of that label, though i remember he had a reputation for calling a Spade a Spade, and its true the sleevenotes were scanty. Did anyone here ever hear their Dancer CD ? Its fantastic and Anthony Minghella was in the band! Director of The English Patient. How did they pull that off ? I wish it was on Vinyl though.

Back to Seelie Court, they announced 12 new LPs on Discogs, and i can recommend the quality of the 3 i own , Lifeblud is brilliant, Flux is pure Progressive but is a bit intense to listen to, and John Strang\'s lp is lovely. There are press cuttings, lyrics, and sleeve notes by band members in the Gatefolds, and John Strang\' s lp has an extra insert.

Discogs also mentions that they have scheduled lps up to number 80 on the catalogue numbers, im into music, not gossipy whinging i don\'t know about you lot, if any label is going to issue 80 Prog lps I\'m all for it!!!
Just a little note: I only own Lifeblud and the gatefold sleeve is not textured at all ;)

Gian
Pict Power
I have 3 Seelie Court lps -Flux, Lifeblud and John Strang, they are all beautifully presented with textured Gatefold sleeves and the sleevenotes are by the bands! So its obvious they are legal editions. I found this forum looking for more info about the label, their website isn\\\'t working, maybe they have \\\"placeheld\\\" the domain. What i find a bit strange is the nasty vibe on your forum, lots of negative speculation and someone who seems to have a chip on his shoulder or jealous making comments when he/she doesnt even seem to have the lps!

I don\\\'t see any connection to Kissing Spell, and anyway that was a very good label and official, I for one was very happy to get Dark on CD for a tenner and from Master Tapes too! They have 140 releases on Discogs! Is Purple Pumpkin claiming Dark, Sindelfingen, Stone Angel etc are fake!? Thats rubbish, and i heard both Axe lps were altered with the bands agreement. I don\\\'t believe anyone ever met or knew the owner of that label, though i remember he had a reputation for calling a Spade a Spade, and its true the sleevenotes were scanty. Did anyone here ever hear their Dancer CD ? Its fantastic and Anthony Minghella was in the band! Director of The English Patient. How did they pull that off ? I wish it was on Vinyl though.

Back to Seelie Court, they announced 12 new LPs on Discogs, and i can recommend the quality of the 3 i own , Lifeblud is brilliant, Flux is pure Progressive but is a bit intense to listen to, and John Strang\\\'s lp is lovely. There are press cuttings, lyrics, and sleeve notes by band members in the Gatefolds, and John Strang\\\' s lp has an extra insert.

Discogs also mentions that they have scheduled lps up to number 80 on the catalogue numbers, im into music, not gossipy whinging i don\\\'t know about you lot, if any label is going to issue 80 Prog lps I\\\'m all for it!!!
Just a little note: I only own Lifeblud and the gatefold sleeve is not textured at all ;)
Errrr, to Gian above - yes it is textured. The paper is rough to the touch, same as the other 2 i have, and the lettering is in silver ink. Have another look and run your finger across the paper.

If its smooth maybe you have a bootlegged copy ? Its not heavy texture like Tudor Lodge or Deja Vu, but it is definitely, 100%, not smooth. Its Matt, Rough textured green Paper, Silvery Ink.

This is some messed up Forum where people only whine and whinge. Any comment and someone replies with a negative statement. Does anyone here even listen to music ???

"The owner is a Satanist"

"Wah! Wah! They don't have a website!! Boo- Hoo!!!"

"The textured paper is not textured!"

"A totally unrelated label added clapping to a live lp with an uninterested audience 50 years ago!!!"

"If only they recycled the same 20 Psychedelic tracks by Tinterns Abbey, Jason Crest, etc and gave it a new silly compilation name in a 50 cd box set like Cherry Red instead of releasing unknown artist albums that would cost £5000 and no one new existed or ever heard before!"

Is this a special needs group?

And so the pathetic trolling begins....

So, Pict Power suddenly pops up out of nowhere to gush not only about how wonderful Seelie Court is, but also how incredible Kissing Spell was and declares that the person behind it was a wonderful human being as well. Weird that.

Seelie Court is releasing some interesting music and putting time, effort and money into it by the look of it. The problem for me is that the person behind it is such an obnoxious, arrogant, narcissistic and shady person, I really can't bring myself to put money in his pocket. The vandalism he committed on Axe's music on Kissing Spell is pretty well known, but it is his response to it which is probably worse. I read stuff on Discogs which now appears to have been removed, on the Kissing Spell releases he doctored, where he claimed that his desecration of other people's music amounted to great art, seeing himself as a George Martin type figure, adding his own post-production genius. Laughable really, and he was trying to sell it to buyers as something else, not mentioning his 'post-production work' anywhere on the packaging. That amounts to fraud, and because he felt absolute disdain for the people who bought his product, as he appears to for most people, he just thought it was funny and clever to con gullible punters. Now everyone makes mistakes and does stupid shit now and again, but most people hold their hands up and move on. This person still tries to argue he not only did nothing wrong, but he was actually very generously contributing his own artistic genius to the mix and we should therefore all be grateful he deceived us.

His new label has only been in operation a few months and he is already getting into nasty flame wars on Discogs as black-shuck, just look at the Seelie Court releases on there, comments already clogged up with either spam masquerading as user comments, or arguments. A look at his reviews tells you all you need to know about him: Supremely arrogant with a superiority complex and a total contempt and disrespect for anyone who doesn't agree with him or has different taste. And now we have Pict Power coming on here displaying exactly the same unpleasant traits. Weird that.

I just don't want to finance someone like him in any way. But to each his/her own though, and this is just my personal opinion, everyone is free to make up their own minds and buy what they want.

Purple Pumpkin
So, Pict Power suddenly pops up out of nowhere to gush not only about how wonderful Seelie Court is, but also how incredible Kissing Spell was and declares that the person behind it was a wonderful human being as well. Weird that.

Seelie Court is releasing some interesting music and putting time, effort and money into it by the look of it. The problem for me is that the person behind it is such an obnoxious, arrogant, narcissistic and shady person, I really can't bring myself to put money in his pocket. The vandalism he committed on Axe's music on Kissing Spell is pretty well known, but it is his response to it which is probably worse. I read stuff on Discogs which now appears to have been removed, on the Kissing Spell releases he doctored, where he claimed that his desecration of other people's music amounted to great art, seeing himself as a George Martin type figure, adding his own post-production genius. Laughable really, and he was trying to sell it to buyers as something else, not mentioning his 'post-production work' anywhere on the packaging. That amounts to fraud, and because he felt absolute disdain for the people who bought his product, as he appears to for most people, he just thought it was funny and clever to con gullible punters. Now everyone makes mistakes and does stupid shit now and again, but most people hold their hands up and move on. This person still tries to argue he not only did nothing wrong, but he was actually very generously contributing his own artistic genius to the mix and we should therefore all be grateful he deceived us.

His new label has only been in operation a few months and he is already getting into nasty flame wars on Discogs as black-shuck, just look at the Seelie Court releases on there, comments already clogged up with either spam masquerading as user comments, or arguments. A look at his reviews tells you all you need to know about him: Supremely arrogant with a superiority complex and a total contempt and disrespect for anyone who doesn't agree with him or has different taste. And now we have Pict Power coming on here displaying exactly the same unpleasant traits. Weird that.

I just don't want to finance someone like him in any way. But to each his/her own though, and this is just my personal opinion, everyone is free to make up their own minds and buy what they want.

Everyone on this forum appears to be insane, not a single comment about the music in answer to the first post.

Do you know Jon personally? Have you met him ? The person i assume is the owner answered many points in a post above.

Any online search for reviews of Seely Court brings this thread uo as a result, i clicked to read reviews, but found a weird stream of nonsense without a single comment on the music

You seem very keen to insult people we assume you have never met.

I doubt very much the owners of any of these labels would make comments about people they do not know, to do so would be the behaviour of a true "jerk".

And Mr Purple Pumpkin you have been called out twice above to name the LPs you think are faked on these labels, there are 140 on KIssing Spell to choose from, so please name the fake ones.

A few posts above mentioned they liked releases in that label, not only me.

The floor is yours, lets see the list please. Youve mentioned Axe over and over again what else is fake ?

The world awaits.

I have nothing to add to what I’ve said, why are you so bothered by it?

You say you came here looking for reviews of Seelie Court records and all you found was a load of ignorant nonsense written by a bunch of insane special needs whingers. So why are you still here?

There you have it - he couldn't name any lps at all that are 'fake', his posts are nonsense.

The reason i called you out on it is because its a good new label and you appear to have an ulterior motive for your unpleasant comments. All that waffling about superior attitudes and arrogance, it actually looks like you have the inferiority complex, and maybe 50 years ago the owner of that label called you a rude name and you have a chip on your shoulder. Get over it, move on.

No one else appears to share your opinions, and to single out one small label is suspicious. You were just trying to infect people on this forum with bile. Perhaps you work for Guerssen or Radioactive ?

Even if a given label is owned by someone you dont like , an owner is not the music, its unrelated.

Woody Allen has a bit of a bad rep nowadays, so are all his films now rubbish ?

If you met the owners of Atlantic, Motown, Acme, EMI, Immediate you may not like them, they almost certainly wouldn't like you.

So you probably shouldn't buy any LPs on their labels. Maybe you could take up stamp collecting?

And you dont even know your own forum name, i changed it from Purple Perkins to Purple Pumpkin in my posts, and now you adopted it. Unless i am writing both posts and arguing with myself.

Look, honestly im not interested in silly arguments, im sure deep down you do like music, but maybe a more constructive attitude would be helpful rather that Purple Pumpkins Poison Pen Posts ?

Calm down,calm down......first of all i wish people would use their real identities on social media and discusson groups,that alone would cut out a lot of nastiness and dare i say it character assasinations,all over social media,not just here,as anonaminity seems to bring out the worst in people,i always use my real name,i never hide behind a false handle in any groups im in,if i have something to say,ill say it,using my real identity,lack of this just smells of cowardice and a bit of a liberty to me,i have no idea who either of you are,powerpict or purple perkins.....though i may but you both are using handles!!I find if anyone is going to obliterate someones character on a public duscussion forum,dont do it behind a handle,why hide your real identity?As for powerpict,you make some good points,first of Kissing Spell,i have lots of their cds,i enjoy much of that label released,very obscure UK folk and other things of course,which i did state before,as i also said i dont know the individual behind Kissing Spell or this new label,and in truth i dont give a shit as ive never had to deal with whoever it is,they release obscure little known albums,thats my only interest,the only time i deal direct is when theres a problem,ive never had a problem with Jon i think pict said his name was,as ive never had to contact him!!Maybe its Jon taking part on here,but i'll never know,as theres no names.

As for Perkin,i dont know if hes had problems with Jon in the past,maybe has a disagreement with him,but i found it tough reading the comments from Perkin,they were an assassination completely in the chaps character,ok if Perkin has had a bad experience with the chap,he may have the total hump with him,but i found he went far beyond criticism of his product or service,it was personal,i can only judge people if ive met them,or dealt with them,this is the first time i've heard or read anything about Jon,personally i dont like rude,arrogant people,i usually avoid them like the plague,and if its someone ive bought a product from,i wont use them again,thats my choice as a customer,spend my money elsewhere,i only know of the one cd which was the Axe cd,that was tampered with,and the only reason id learnt that was from the Sweet Floral Albion ezine from years ago,as id never heard it before,so i had no idea when i bought that cd,that it was NOT the real product from 1969,in truth,though he may have had permission from band members to add his own touches,but to NOT mention that on the cd cover anywhere was naughty,thankfully i have the Crystaline Axe Music cd,and its incredible,the real thing this time!I've heard of no other product from this chap that repeated this ,so out of all the cds Kissing Spell have released,and i have many....Axe is the only time i've heard!

So for Perkin to be asked to provide the list of alleged fraud product,i think was a quite reasonable request,after the accussations and destroyng Jon as a person on this discussion group,that is reasonable for anyone to ask after that,i think Perkin NOT putting the titles he says are alleged fraud cds doesnt do him any favours,and makes him look bitter and nasty,sorry Perkin,when you destroy someone as shady,and go past criticising their product and service,particularly when you base your whole thing on Jon lalegedly messing with albums,so far one cd has been mentioned,so do yourself a favor Perkin,put the titles you know for a fact are fraudalent,or is this personal to you?If so please leave it between you and the other person,and not spread it to here please?By all means any meaningful criticism of someones product or service you or anyone have had,is worth sharing,but this went well past that,ive read the comments again,and you do accuse him of some things,this chap maybe makes his livng doing cds etc,and youve basically ripped him and his product to shreds,with no context at all,no other product mentioned but one cd,this could damage his business.... i can only go on what ive read on here,and you mention his feedback comments,fair enough,thats the corrrect place to leave genuine comments about his service and product,and for future buyers to read and make their own minds up,but to come on a public forum under an alias,and destroy him i think was pretty below the belt,im not taking sides as i dont know either of you,but what i've read on here and someone defends his product,you take umbridge,is it because you think its Jon that has replied under the powerpict alias?If it is him,he has every right to defend himself and his product,your reaction to his request to name other cds,looks bad on you,yoiu cant destroy someone and accuse all sorts of things,and then you produce nothing and comment you no longer want to talk about it really!You started this with your comments,youve been asked to produce a list........youve stil not.....im sorry but looking at this whole thread,its clearly personal to you,and others do comment and are left with a image of someone,none of us know.

As for powerpict,you comment on the people on thjs discussion group and this discussion group,can i ask if youve read many of the past posts that go back years?You swill find that many people on here have taken part in discussions for years,with NO nastiness or malice,or have you just read the one thread on Seelie?THis thread?How can you make a general description of this group and the people on this group after only reading one thread?After reading all this thread,theres only one person who has what you could call nasty,others have commented on what perkin said,including myself,i only criticised the scant information,that was a point about the product,not the person,and i gave my reasons why i pointed that out,but i also stated i enjoy a lot of Kissing Spell releases,so it was a proper genuine comment from myself.

As for another comment i made about Radioactive and Fallout product and their legally dubious releases,what they were doing was legally dubious,hence they had to shut down the labels radioactive and fallout,but i know other cds came out under other label that were still very dubious,i NEVER once said Kissing Spell was illegal....because i didnt know,so to comment and say something like that would not have been fair,so i thank you for clearing that up,that Kissing Spell was and is LEGAL!!

I just wanted to be the devils advocate on this whole thread,and tell you this discussion group is NOT full of idiots and nasty opinionated individuals,thats just as bad as Perkin generalising,youve caught a bad thread,look around,read the many posts and threads,there are very enthusiatic people on here who just love music,and im one of them, very informative and helpful folk take part on here,so i feel obliged to jump to this discussion groups defense,as ive been coming here for many years,so i know what i'm talking about,i dont know how often youve been on here,but dont be too quick to judge......you know what that can create!!

You mention the Dancer cd,that is a terrific album,and in my opinion one of the best cd releases on Kissing Spell,a real highlight,when i bought it,i had no idea what to expect as there was very little info on this group,but when i received it,i was blown away by it!!So kudos to Kissing Spell for that reissure!!

I know this post is overlong,but i just wanted to put my thoughts on this thread,and show some perspective and be a devils advocate and hopefully put a line under this one!!Put my reading on what i've read,and comment on what i think just by whats been said,personally i didnt do this to upset anyone,but in truth if someone is upset by anything ive said,i dont really care,as ive said i dislike that social media is full of anonymous names and handles,where people think they can say anyhingh they want with no comeback,ive been wanting all those platform companies to make that change,as im sure it would cut out much bullying too!!
At the end of the day,you have to be careful what you say on public forums concerning people,though it maybe just that persons own opinion,it does NOT make the accusations fact!!

Stuart,

I know that you weren't responsible for starting this but I think that using the name Jon in this context is a bit unfair.

The guy behind the Kissing Spell label was not called Jon. If the Jon being referred to is the one which I suspect it is then he posted on this thread as Noise Plate which is also a name he uses on other sites. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him but we've certainly dealt with him, in fact he's bought a couple of records from my husband within the last 12 months or so. All communications that James (my husband) had with him were pleasant and amicable and he came across as a nice guy. Whether he has anything to do with Seelie Court or not I don't know.

The guy behind Kissing Spell was a well know record dealer before he started the label. We also dealt with him several times and never had a problem. This is obviously a long while ago and I can't actually remember speaking to him myself but James clearly remembers him and says that he was always pleasant enough to talk to and obviously very knowledgable about the music. Certainly we were always very happy with the records that we got from him, they were exactly what he said that they would be. We have been told that he has some rather uncoventional ideas about certain things but that's hearsay so I don't really want to comment on that

With regards to Kissing Spell product, we have quite a few of them and I know of only two that weren't what they purported to be. The Axe LP has been mentioned loads of times but a bit was also added to the Charge LP (and apparently only on the vinyl version, not on the CD). Even Mr Black Shuck himself has admitted that this addition was, to use his words, "faked amateur nonsense".

We have five of the Seelie Court releases and have no complaints abut them at all. They're packaged well and the sound is good. Personally I think that any label releasing music that is as hard to come by as some of these are should be supported. The people who made the music would have wanted the fruits of their labours to be heard and enjoyed and not to just be available to a small circle of collectors. No doubt they would also have liked to make some money from it too, so if the label is paying royalties (which hopefully they are) then all the better, it gives some small reward to the artists involved. Making music of this type available to a wider audience allows a greater amount of people to hear the music and make up their own minds about it's qualities.

It was me who originally posted on here about the link between Kissing Spell and Seelie Court. I sort of regret doing that now. I intended to just inform anyone who enjoyed Kissing Spell releases that this new label was worthy of investigation. I certainly wasn't expecting things to descend to the level of personal abuse that some of the posts on this thread have displayed.

pict power

There you have it - he couldn\\\\\\\'t name any lps at all that are \\\\\\\'fake\\\\\\\', his posts are nonsense.

The reason i called you out on it is because its a good new label and you appear to have an ulterior motive for your unpleasant comments. All that waffling about superior attitudes and arrogance, it actually looks like you have the inferiority complex, and maybe 50 years ago the owner of that label called you a rude name and you have a chip on your shoulder. Get over it, move on.

No one else appears to share your opinions, and to single out one small label is suspicious. You were just trying to infect people on this forum with bile. Perhaps you work for Guerssen or Radioactive ?

Even if a given label is owned by someone you dont like , an owner is not the music, its unrelated.

Woody Allen has a bit of a bad rep nowadays, so are all his films now rubbish ?

If you met the owners of Atlantic, Motown, Acme, EMI, Immediate you may not like them, they almost certainly wouldn\\\\\\\'t like you.

So you probably shouldn\\\\\\\'t buy any LPs on their labels. Maybe you could take up stamp collecting?

And you dont even know your own forum name, i changed it from Purple Perkins to Purple Pumpkin in my posts, and now you adopted it. Unless i am writing both posts and arguing with myself.

Look, honestly im not interested in silly arguments, im sure deep down you do like music, but maybe a more constructive attitude would be helpful rather that Purple Pumpkins Poison Pen Posts ?
I have first-hand experience of him and I know others who feel exactly the same way about him as I do. The only reason it came to light that he had vandalised Axe's and Charge's music was because he shamelessly boasted about how clever he had been to have so easily conned gullible punters. What else did he do if he was not only capable of that deception but appeared so very proud of it? You don't seem at all bothered by what he did? I wonder why that is exactly? I think it is pretty obvious....

My advice would be to stay off social media and stop pretending to be multiple different people here and elsewhere in an attempt to boost the profile and sales of your label. You aren't nearly as clever as you think you are and others aren't nearly as gullible as you imagine. You also clearly can’t handle any contrary opinions or anything even vaguely critical about Seelie Court/ Kissing Spell without launching into immature rants or ad hominem attacks and I include all the stuff you have posted on Discogs in that. You are doing the reputation of yourself and the label absolutely no favours. I'm sure everything released by Seelie Court will be above board, sound wonderful and as originally recorded, don't spoil it by being a dick on the internet.

From Discogs re Charge:

"this vinyl edition was issued in 500 copies mastered direct from the original lp because the band were untraceable, see entry on the band for full info, this reissue lp opens with a short piece of pounding looped music that is not on the original edition, its there for a specific reason though it is undoubtedly a crime against the musicians. heres the explanation- the owner of k.spell, then about 18 or 19, simply taped direct from the original lp onto a 15 ips reel using a revox a77 linked to a battered lenco/leak/stentorian system...whilst doing this he began to experiment with the 2 tracks and played bits of the lp backwards, speeding it up and slowing it using the lenco direct drive speed controls and manually in a proto-scratching excercise (albeit with a unque 7k gbp lp). shortly afterwards came a call from an nme reviewer asking for free samples of the k.spell catalogue. the reviewer was pretty famous but k.spell doubted his understanding of the finer points of prog, a plan evolved, the looped piece of amateur remixing was plastered onto the start of the lp, it was issued, and sent promptly to the nme, arguably britains most respected music paper. lo, the reviewer duly gave charge a glowing write up and raved about it, especially the "astonishing proto metal" opening section, eg the faked amateur nonsense by k.spell! the reviewer called k.spell after the review was printed and the k.spell owner told him directly that he had raved about a piece of music that he himself mixed as a first ever effort in 10 mins on his lenco....and that he didnt know f*ck all about music which was why he was a critic. apparantly dead silence ensued, the phone was put down, and k spell never received another nme review. but the point was proved. this section of music only appeared on the 1st vinyl reissue, at the expense of the bands music, just to prove a point, that critics are fuckwits. hence possibly justified sacrilege."

Written by black-shuck who was also clearly the person responsible and is also behind Seelie Court.

And for anyone who needs examples of what I am talking about when I criticise his immature rants and ad hominem attacks, here are his comments in response to anything critical of his labels or that he doesn't agree with on Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/user/black-shuck/reviews?header=1&page=1

I didn't start this thread, we were asked to give our opinions on a new label. I had strong opinions about the person behind it which I have expressed and given reasons for, but I made it clear they were my personal opinions and I haven't named him. Pict Power is very clearly the same person and also black-shuck on discogs, anyone who thinks otherwise is just being conned. Some may think what he did, how he justified it and how he conducts himself is ok, I don't. Anyway, I'm out of here.

Ellie,i only mentioned the name Jon as powerpict mentioned the name,i have no idea who this person is,quite frankly,its the music im interested in,but i dislike any personal attacks as thats not the music,and i just wanted to draw a line under this confrontational line of posts,plus the comments made about the people on this discussion board being insane etc,were not deserved,so personally any personal attacks on a discussion group from whoever is not good,and i'm sure others dont want to face confrontation here when most come to talk music,and enjoy it,this conversation just got out of hand,and i hope it calms down,both people have had their say,if they want to continue,i wish they would do it privately,and not on here!

As i said this option to post anonymously under made up handles is not good,im sure if people had to use their reaL names,words maybe used more carefully,but thats another subject altogether for all the companies to sort out.

As i said i dont know either Perkin or Powerpict,but their confrontation makes for uneasy reading,and i feel this is not the place for all that shenanigans,so id like it to get back to music and not personal jibes.

love,peace and understanding(chambers brothers)

As the person who did start this thread I was hoping for some discussion from our knowledgeable contributors about the rare music being released. That means - what is good/bad or indifferent and maybe other issues like sound and product quality. The label was new to me as were some of the releases (despite many many years collecting psych music).

Therefore I must strongly echo Stuart and Ellies point that personal abuse is uncalled for.

This forum is generally one of the more pleasant music sites where people are treated respectfully.

Lets keep it that way please.

I'll be honest paul,i'd never heard of Seelie Court till your post a couple of weeks ago or so,i take it this is just a vinyl only company?No cd reissues?As i dont buy vinyl,haven't done for many years,and won't in the future,it seems quite a few companies who were mainly cd reissues like Sundazed,lion productions,guerssen,are now mainly vinyl reissues and releases,i'm so glad that the likes of Cherry Red and its platoon of labels are still mainly cd releases,for the music i search for,mainly 60s and early 70s psych albums,there seems to be fewer albums getting reissued on cd.

I also don't frequent discogs,so my nose is getting the better of me,so i may have to have a neb and see what albums are being reissued,are they mainly UK groups and albums?

Hi Stuart,
I hadn't heard of them either - thats why I posted. Yes its all vinyl label so far anyway and many lesser known UK bands and UK private pressings. Theres a good bit of prog
present so quite like a vinyl only Kissing Spell. I bought two LPs so far - Anaconda and Lifeblud. Both are very nice packages which are professionally produced. The excellent Waxing of the Moon by Lifeblud made it onto the Strangers in a Room Cherry Red comp. I found both albums reasonably enjoyable with a strong folky bent. I will probably buy more.

I have absolutely no association with the label.

It looks everything's stuck at Seelie Court...? can't see any more releases actually available... which would be a pity anyway

Gian
It looks everything's stuck at Seelie Court...? can't see any more releases actually available... which would be a pity anyway
Glad to read things are going in the right direction, most of the announced new releases should be now available :wink:

Again. No CD release. Why? Why the music labels suddenly forget about the music collectors, who kept the CD business working for 30+ years. It is a long time I am waiting for the CD release of the Motiffe. At first it was issued by the Shadoks Music only on vinyl. Now the Seelie Court has done the same. Frustrating and disappointing.

I would assume that record labels, especially the smaller ones, see that it is no longer viable financially to release cd's as the sales are now so low.

Peter Beck
Again. No CD release. Why? Why the music labels suddenly forget about the music collectors, who kept the CD business working for 30+ years. It is a long time I am waiting for the CD release of the Motiffe. At first it was issued by the Shadoks Music only on vinyl. Now the Seelie Court has done the same. Frustrating and disappointing.
Check the latest comment here:
https://www.discogs.com/label/1913411-Seelie-Court

A few CDs on the way, hopefully!
https://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/index.php

Gian
A few CDs on the way, hopefully!
https://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/index.php
Thanks Giant, I hope to see the official release of this album on CD. This is a tendency in recent years to release music only on vinyl, abusing the nostalgic feelings of music lovers, which is fine if they find buyers. But I'm not going to reorient myself to listening to LPs, I belong to a generation that has never been related to vinyl and I would welcome editions that suit the 21st century.

Peter Beck
5 x new cds are due on Seelie Court Digital on 20th October, including -

elegy
lifeblud
bertie
motiffe
isolation
as you like it
rainbird
karakorum
mourning phase
rudi tchaikovsky
flux
etc

followed by another 10 a week or so later.

Lifeblud, Elegy (I own their single) and Karakorum sound very interesting. Found some Karakorum info here http://martinchambersofficial.blogspot.com/2019/11/8th-november-2019.html

and especially this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgWp_Dutkdg&ab_channel=tuckedup

Thats the next 12 cds released by Seelie Court,including 2 Lifeblud cds,plus a double cd of recordings from a member from Lifeblud from the mid 70s onwards,there seems to be more folk and prog leaning albums than albums of psychedelia,but i'm very happy with that,as i enjoy all that too,particularly the more obscure folk that has a twist, its just incase anyone who is a psychedelia only enthusiast,as there are people who like a particular thing,and dont venture past certain years,a few of the albums in this batch are from 73 to 75,Flux,Crooked Oak,Across The Water,Rudi Tchaikovsky,Motiffe,Isolation and a double cd of ex Lifeblud member Roger Knott from the years 73-78,but there are some very interesting early 70s albums like the concept piece from Bertie,the hippie folk of Mourning Phase,Rainbird with lovely artwork for their album"Maiden Flight",2 Lifeblud albums"Esse Quam Videri"and"Be Thou My Very Armour".

Ive only listened to a few,mainly the early 70s albums,so i cant comment on the wee bit later albums,i'm finding this whole excavation of those extremely rare recordings and albums rivetting,many are private pressed,or boutique albums,as theres an album where only 2 acetates were cut,one each for the duo........though all of it may not be up my street,its very interesting none the less,for someone like myself who has interest in this era.

The last batch of cds had some trully good albums,like ex Arcadium mainman Miguel Sergides group Anaconda"Sympathy for The Madman",this so far for me has been the find of the bunch,Sandalwood"Changeling"i was very smitten with this lovely album,and the 75 album by Barney James and Warhorse"Koneg,The Second Coming.

I hear there are more to come,so i'm highly anticipating my interest to stay focused and rivetted,because in truth i've neve heard of most of those albums till this reissue series.......

1 2