UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tucky Buzzard - Coming On Again

I have always really enjoyed this LP, my favourite by them and their most varied and interesting LP in my opinion. But I have always been confused by when it was actually recorded. It was released in Spain in 1971 after the US/Italy only release of their self-titled debut, but was supposedly recorded before it. It sounds the closest to the stuff they did as The End, though more in a progressive direction. Anyone know the facts about it?

On a side note, this band seemed to have had very little luck and a confusing discography. The fantastic End LP came out long after recording, after they had split up I think. Then their debut as Tucky Buzzard is not released in the UK and Coming On Again only released in Spain and Brazil. They also appeared to have recorded a great deal of top quality material in the late 60s that never even got released at the time - Retrospection and Last Word. And then Colin Giffin who split before they became Tucky Buzzard released the wonderful Changes In Our Time 45 and it sold nothing. Bad luck seemed to dog them.

Re: Tucky Buzzard - Coming On Again

I’ve championed Tucky Buzzard ever since I got the three CD collection “Time Will Be Your Doctor” and I agree, “Coming On Again” is their closest to the End and my favorite by them. It’s funny how “Warm Slash” (kind of an obvious stab at ‘American’ rock) or “ Allright on the Night” are the albums that seem to get the praise or notice. I like all of their albums, but “Warm Slash” sounds like the least interesting to my ears. What I like about them is that all of their albums have something to recommend them however, including good keyboard and guitar, and songs on side two that are just as strong as side one on all of them.
Since I got that 3-CD set, I have tracked down all of their albums, just in time to have them all released in a nice Edsel boxed set on CD and vinyl. Oh well, I guess it’s fun to have the originals, and I don’t begrudge anyone getting those five albums inexpensively. The boxed set is nicely done. Too bad the Colin Giffin 45 is still elusive, but I managed to finally find a copy of that as well. Would have made a cool bonus in the boxed set.

As for the chronology, I suppose The End’s “Last Word” can be considered the first Tucky Buzzard album. It seems more rock than psych to me, and despite the band name, feels like a first Tucky Buzzard record.
The music guide Galactic Ramble, I notice, vastly improved their Tucky Buzzard section second time around, taking a section that only bothered to mention “Warm Slash” and fleshing it out with full reviews of all five albums plus a music magazine ad from the time. An oversight corrected! And according to that tome, the band recorded the first album “Coming On Again” in Spain in 1971, followed by “Tucky Buzzard” recorded back in London in June of the same year, and released only in the U.S. and Italy, which leads to the odd situation of not getting a UK release until their third album!
Tucky Buzzard certainly deserve wider acclaim than they got. I think people made so much of the Bill Wyman connection that they kept comparing them to the Stones instead of appreciating five really good 70’s rock albums that incorporated varied instrumentation, fine playing, and on their first album a magnificent orchestrated side-long suite.

Joe thanks for the info you mentioned a side long suite on their first album but I cant find a album with this on is it just called 'suite' or does it have a title? thanks again
I checked discogs to see if I could find it but no joy

Yeah, the songs from “Coming On Again (pt. 1)” through “Here I Am” on the album Coming On Again are linked together into a kind of suite, while the four songs on side two are distinct (separated) songs. I’m not sure why Discogs doesn’t point that out in their song listing. They’re connected sort of in the same way as the songs on Caravan’s “Nine Feet Underground” on Land of Grey and Pink are linked together, for instance.

Thanks Joe now I know what I am looking for

Hey Joe, if you have the original Coming On Again, that is veeeeery rare and worth a lot.

The End were excellent, introspection their only album got released 18 months after being recorded, so a December release, it was Allan kleins fault really as he took over the rolling Stones business dealings, and since bill wyman was their producer, this came under kleins umbrella, with wyman appealing to him being ignored! So the time of its release in December 69,it's psych sound was seen as kind of passe!! As for tucky buzzard, I'm not as excited by their music as I was with the end, I like the first album the US only one, not too keen on the americanised sound on warm slash!! As for the original comps put together by tenth planet retrospection and the last word featuring early tucky buzzard recordings are very good, I'm glad I've got both the end and tucky buzzard box sets!! Well worth having!

A very strange discography as it looks that all of their first 3 album were released in the same yaer even if in different countries, so I'd say at least one was for sure recorded before

Yeah, and there’s a song on The Last Word that sounds like it might have been destined for fhat suite on the first Tucky Buzzard album as it is an acoustic transition piece with a bit of orchestration at the end.
I agree Stuart that “Warm Slash” is merely competent rock, but I think the next two albums are more memorable overall. I do like the slide guitar on “Warm Slash” snd some of the songs rock convincingly. The US-only “Tucky Buzzard” is a better album, and longer than “Coming On Again” so maybe their most satisfying record overall. But something about the gloomy orchestrated rock on “Coming On Again” stands out to me. I found a Brazilian copy and was very happy when I got to hear the vinyl! It arrived with a sticker saying “Raro!” which I’m guessing is “rare!”😀