Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tom Jones Psychedelic!

Listen to Tom's new single its got a excellent psyche backing to it
https://youtu.be/oN2zM8ybqMw

Has he nicked the start of the single from some where?

Also check out Talking Reality Television Blues by Tom..

Re: Tom Jones Psychedelic!

'Hole' is brill! He's hit on the 'right' 1968 this time. His first and orignal 1968 saw the release of his 'Just Help Yourself' and 'Delilah' albums. What's new pussycat? This is! He has a very good face on for the video as well. Maybe all those 'reveal moments'from swivilling around in the big chair on 'The Voice'! I wonder if this is another of his catching up with the present moments like when he covered Prince's 'Kiss'? I really like this, it doesn't say who wrote it though despite laying out the lyrics. I'll have to cop an earload of the album now. Thanks for the tip Phil!
:slightly_smiling_face:

Well I never thought I'd find myself pre-ordering a Tom Jones album but that's what just happened! 'Surrounded By Time' out late April. Look at the styalised cover art as well. The 'Talking...' track is an interesting piece of rhyme as well and great backing again. Who is this, who wrote this, WHY is this! It's like a cut from a futuristic volume of Dream Weavers or a late blooming side kick to Chubby Checker's 'Checkered' album (1971) - maybe he'll have his own 'Stoned In the Bathroom' moment on it? . Tom sure is getting 'real' on these songs. Just hope the rest are up to this mark and don't relapse into some lung bursting power ballads half way through! I know he's sung with Stereolab and New Model Army in past years but this is another level. It reminded me a bit of Tam White's take on Laura Nyro's 'Little Wheel Spin and Spin'. I wonder if this is the album he's been waiting to cut all his life but stuck with the ballads for the income stream! Like Jason Donovan loving Joy Division but singing teenybop to pay the rent? It's cool anyway I hope other 'legacy artists' might follow suit, could be very interesting.

PM:grimacing:

Apparently Todd Snider wrote the song but I could be wrong as you I will be ordering the album

Written by the decidedly unpsychedelic Malvina Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFHtpcbJ0CI

here's the wonderful originator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jysuQ4HQpSc

I looked after some Tam White[Paul M mentioned him] a Scottish singer in the 60's and picked up he was in a band called The Buzz. He had a nice freakbeat track[its on YT]called You're Holding Me Down produced by Joe `Meek well worth checking out on YT

Yes Tam White was also in the Boston Dexters,who issued a couple of singles,he actually lived in Edinburgh Phil,i actually met and chatted to him at a jazz and blues festival where Chris Farlowe was playing,unfortunately Chris Farlowe i found disappointing and he obviously looked as if hed rather be elsewhere,he played a short set,little interaction with the audience,which left a bitter taste in my mouth,its a shame when good artistes from a bygone era look fed up with what theyre doing after all those years,lets be honest its not as if Chris Farlowe was a massive star,he's probably best known for having a hit with a cover song,of course those into 60s sounds wil know mucgh more about him,like he was in Colloseum and Atomic Rooster at certain times,he was known to be part of the Immediate label and crowd,and was friends with the Rolling Stones,but this gig was a jazz and blues gig,so no one was shouting for THAT hit!!His attitude was pretty aloof and rude,and i was bitterly disappointed as people paid good money to be there and see him,it had been years since hed been in the headlines or recorded anything that anyone took note of,so it was fans who turned out,poor show from Chris!!If youre at the stage where its a hassle but youre still expecting people to pay to see you,give it up!!

A Story About Tam White-The Buzz,Boston Dexters,Solo album and Braveheart the movie.

Anyway i got derailed there,anyway the highlight of the night was bumping into Tam White,his gruff broad scottish voice,it was my mate who noticed him as he had been a mod for years and was knowledgable about the 60s scene,my friend told Tam he had a few early singles featuring Tam,in groups The Buzz and Boston Dexters,Tam White gave out a rough laugh,saying something like bloody hell what museum did you get them fae?He come across as a down to earth bloke,of course hed also been in the movie Braveheart amongst other parts he took over the years,thats where i recognised him from to be honest,this must have been well over 10 years ago,but im terrible with time and memory,so it maybe much longer,it was at the Caledonian Brewery in Edinburgh,which is 5 minutes from my flat in Gorgie,anyway that was my wee story about Tam White,he also released a solo album in 1970 i think it was,it may have been on the Middle Earth label,but i could be wrong as ive never set my eyes on it in my life,but i was lucky enough to get a hold of a cdr of it,and surprisingly the sound was good for a near 50 year old vinyl burnt onto a cdr.I really enjoyed this album,theres a few covers on it,but totally different to what i was expecting,i was expecting a blues type of album,but its far from that,nice acoustics,some strings from what i remember and his voice was good,his own songs were good too,it's certainly an album id love to see reissued on cd,kind of in parts like a singer/songwriter which was becoming prevalent at that time,but a real mix,i need to remind myself by getting it out of the storage box and giving it a spin.Sadly Tam White passed away a few years ago,with very little fanfare,but locally he got mentioned in the papers etc,but a very interesting man,with a music career that goes way back to the early 60s.Apologies for the overlong post,you dont see ne on here for an age ,then i pop up and blether my head off.

I saw Van Morrison quite a few years ago he was a miserable sod I was a tad disappointed

Hi Stuart and Phil
Yes, Tam's album was on Midle Earth (1970). I have a copy which I got some years back for £50. There's one one ebay at present for twice that. By the way I was wrong about the writer of 'Little Wheel Spin and Spin' (which is on the album). I thought it was Laura Nyro but it is in fact Buffie Saint Marie. 'Future Thoughts' (another fine track) was a 45 from the album. Tam had one or two hits in the mid-late 70s with power ballads I think, nothing like his Buzz or Middle Earth days. I agree though that Middle Earth album does deserve a reissue. Maybe licensing /ownership rights etc that have prevented it from being so already.

Tam White - Future Thoughts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKSvG9ZmHRY

Tam White - Little Wheel Spin and Spin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w0HSlquK5w

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

If anyone wants a link for the Tam White self titled album leave a note and I will share it

Has anyone heard Toms new album yet?

One Shed Phil
If anyone wants a link for the Tam White self titled album leave a note and I will share it

I would love to hear the whole Tam White album, never been able to afford an original copy, many thanks!

The Buzz-Holding Me Down is right up there with the best freakbeat had to offer. Surely most people here would know of it, but if not, it's a must hear. Originals of course, if they turn up would set you back hundreds.