UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
House of The Rising Sun

I was watching a doc about Eric Burdon earlier and he spoke about how Alan Price basically took entire credit and royalties for arrangement of HOTRS. Objectively, that seems pretty strange and greedy given the guitar and vocals are as much if not more significant to the song and its success. I did a google to see how Price could possibly justify such a move and I couldn't find one mention of it by him. One interviewer started talking about the song and he was cut off very quickly with AP making it clear he didn't want to talk about it at all. It seems strange to do that if he has a reasonable explanation to why he continues to claim full credit. What is his justification and has anyone ever heard him speak about it?

Re: House of The Rising Sun

in the Usa was credited to AP, in the UK as Trad. ... (7" single speaking)

from Wiki:

The Animals version was played in 6/8 meter, unlike the 4/4 of most earlier versions. Arranging credit went only to Alan Price. According to Burdon, this was simply because there was insufficient room to name all five band members on the record label, and Alan Price's first name was first alphabetically. However, this meant that only Price received songwriter's royalties for the hit, a fact that has caused bitterness among the other band members ever since.[3

Re: House of The Rising Sun

I believe Mike Jeffries, the Animals manager had Price's name put on as composer. It should have been 'traditionally arranged by the Animals'. Price could have shared the royalties but he didn't.