UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clown (from Plymouth UK)

If had the chance to go on with my little Night Wings label, this would have been on my "to do" list, so I'm glad to see at last released this nice compilation of demos, single and studio recordings from 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQJg99Wurs&ab_channel=anazitisirecords

from press release:

CLOWN
Lord of the ringside
LP
ANAZITISI Records ARLP 70-56F
CLOWN, Plymouth UK based, formed in mid-1970.
An excellent progressive rock sextet which had the luck (???) to produce just one single in early 1972 for CBS, containing the tracks “Lord of the Ringside” and “Rumania”. Both tracks recorded in October 1971.
At the same sessions, the band recorded 6 more demo songs. These tracks were intended for a forthcoming full-length album by the same label, which unfortunately never finalized and appears here for the very first time. Completing this release, we have added both their single’s tracks
and 4 more songs, recorded as their first demo in January 1971.
Clown had lot of gigs playing with bands such as Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Raw Material, Man, Lindisfarne, Lee Riders etc.
After some personnel changes, Clown came to a halt in the summer of ’72.
The band’s line up was including the classic “rock” core of guitar-bass-drums augmented by the sax-flute-keyboards progressive touches. Superb musicianship, beautiful orchestration and rhythm changes flirting with the late 60’s psychedelia and the early 70’s british folk rock.
Pls note that some compilations (mainly from the 90’s) have some songs with wrong
titles, credited to a band called The Alby. In truth, these are Clown original
recordings. Clown had never had The Alby monicker. Alby was just the nickname of
Alan Hodgson, Clown’s lead singer.
All 12 songs included in “Lord of the Ringside” LP here, are coming from old
surviving tapes which have been carefully restored and remastered. “Ed Welch”, the
song which concludes the album, is coming from a semi-destroyed tape but as it is
one of their best (and “heavier”, indeed) songs and an excellent example of Clown’s
powerful live presence, Clown members wanted to be included and so we did our best
on making it possible, restoring it from the scratch.

Re: Clown (from Plymouth UK)

Hi Gian,
The link doesn't show the Clown , it shows other acts like Gordian on Anazitisi but not Clown'. I used to have the Lord of the Ringside album (unreleased from 1972) as a CD(r?) along wth their 'Crickelwood demos' set which I think Stuart R may have sent me in those far off days with some nice clown faced art work. Sadly I don't seem to have them anymore and I wish I did 'Lord of the Ringside' is an excellent song and unreleased album and the demos were good too. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

PM

I see they had a cdr out in 2002[according to discogs] called Trapeze but non for sale on there

Paul Martin
Hi Gian,
The link doesn't show the Clown , it shows other acts like Gordian on Anazitisi but not Clown'. I used to have the Lord of the Ringside album (unreleased from 1972) as a CD(r?) along wth their 'Crickelwood demos' set which I think Stuart R may have sent me in those far off days with some nice clown faced art work. Sadly I don't seem to have them anymore and I wish I did 'Lord of the Ringside' is an excellent song and unreleased album and the demos were good too. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

PM
that's strange, if I copy that link on my browser I see and hear CLOWN - Motorway (search for this anyway)

should have those mp3 or cdr somewhere, will let you know, Paul ;)

Worked for me and there is a link in the video description to a site which I assume is selling CDs by Clown and Champagne, who also sound pretty good.

I have that cdr. Good, but still think Lord Of The Ringside is their best track.

There's a website for their former drummer:

https://leyoftheland.uk/tag/clown/

that shows both the Trapeze and Crickelwood demos CDrs but doens't make any reference to their availability. By the way, I think 'Rumania'is a pretty good track by them too.

Gian - that link does work, but my server gives me three options for the same link one of which is Anastazi's back catalogue, anotheris the 'Motorway' song.

Paul

Yes Paul,i still have both those cdrs,im sure i bought them from someone involved with the band,both with basic and crude artwork and not remastered sound as this was before the easily accessible apps to master the sound etc,and it was harder to reproduce quality artwork,or maybe the chap never had access to anything like that!!

I'll be honest,it had been years since i played either cd,but i got an email saying some of those recordings are being released legit,but the vinyl release does not include all the tracks on those 2 cds,but ive sampled the vinyl issue,and it sounds very good,its been well cleaned up,and is a must for vinyl buyers,if you like that early 70s proggy sound,with still a tinge of psychedelia hanging about in the music,its got that period sound to it,and would be a worthy addition to any psych and prog collection,the cd i have is titled Trapeze,the other Cricklewood demos,so i'm hoping someone may release this mastered cleaned up album on cd!! Can only hope!!

Some tracks available on youtube if i remember right ,obviously as a promo for the forthcoming release,the quality in sound is fab!!Obviously not the full album as unfortunately too many people want music for nothing and would probably copy the whole album.Good of them to give a wee preview.

does glan have those two clown cdrs. could he stick them on here at all if possible. would be great. thanks