UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your British Psych imaginary CDr

When I saw this on my infrequent visits to this site I had just finished revisiting my Rubble collection so I thought I can do this. The Rubbles were just what I needed at the time in helping me to hear lesser known UK psychedelic bands that were beyond me on the other side of the world. In those pre internet days with very little information it was a task almost beyond me until I found them in a second hand record store one day,

So now rising to the challenge I set about fitting 100 great songs into a space for 20. For my effort I took the line that to be a true representative UK compilation you needed at least one track from the individual countries comprising Great Britain – that being England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland. So I ended up with this:

1, 6AX Penelope Breedlove
2. ACCENT Red Sky at night
3. ACTRESS Good job with prospects
4.AL STEWART Turn to earth
5, ANDROMEDA Go your way
6 APPLE The other side
7 BUNCH Looking glass Alice
8 CALIFORNIANS The cooks of cake and kindness
9 CIRCUS Do you dream
10 DON FARDON Sunshine Woman
11`FORTES MENTUM Saga of a wrinkled man
12 FREEDOM The better side
13 FRUIT MACHINE I’m alone today
14 GROUNDHOGS Crosscut Saw
15 LION TAMERS Light
16 KATE Don’t make a sound
17 KLUBS Can’t Ebenezer see my mind
18 McGOUGH & McGEAR Ex art student
19 MOLES We are the Moles
20 POETS In your tower
21 RICHARD BARNES High flying electic bird
22 SHADES OF MORLEY BROWN Pretty blue bird
23 SMOKE Sidney Gill
24 SUNSHINE THEATRE Mountain
25 TINTERN ABBEY Beeside
26 THEM Black widow spider
27 UNAUTHORISED VERSION Girl in a bus Queue
28 UNIT Would you believe what I say
29 VIRGIN SLEEP Secret
30 Y TIBOT PIWS Dilyn Colomen

As it is this is the list I would give someone to listen to this year. My tastes will have changed a bit by next year so there will be 5 or so changes- there is no definitive list. The next question is sequencing.
After reading Crystal Tipps post it struck me that you need not just sequence it based solely on musical characteristics – you can also tell a story. So after a bit of thought I found that you could make two separate stories from my list so I could split it up into story 1 and story 2.
ONE is as follows
Tracks : 28. 2. 13. 14. 19. 6. 29. 16. 22. 4. 10

Than TWO
6, 5, 26. 12. 9, 23. 10, 15, 3 27,20, 11.

Of course there are songs out there that don’t fit- I mean “Ex Art student” is a trip in itself. How could it fit anywhere ?

Anyhow thats my ten cents worth.

My god I would love to know the rationale for those two stories. A brief synopsis please? I think I glimpse genius at work...

The Them track is superb Butterfly Robot