UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Twice As Much - That's All

It never ceases to amaze me that I have been digging for British '67-'69 psych and pop stuff all me adult life and I can still come across things that are surprisingly good from the era I didn't know about. Twice As Much? Not a pair I had ever sought out or thought would be to my taste - bland pop cover versions I thought. But I was offered this LP at an irrefusable price, and I thought I can always sell it. But the sleeve looked hazy and promising and it also had Vashti on a track, so why not.

OK, this LP is not really psychedelic so much as flowery period pop with strong Smile/Pet Sounds leanings, but it really hits the spot for me. Quite blissful big production harmony pop with a nice mood sustained throughout and no tracks I want to skip. Lots of intricate arrangements, well produced and also contains lots of self-penned tracks and a neat cover of the Small Faces' Green Circles. So this was a really nice surprise for me.

Re: Twice As Much - That's All

i got a collection several years back, and maybe it was too much. Apart from a few songs I felt it was pretty light overall. Still, like you say, the Small Faces cover was nice as was “Sittin’ on a Fence” and “True Story.” I think an album would have been better than “The Complete...” set I got...
Maybe half as much of Twice as Much..😜

Half as much is twice as nice, double the fun for half the price!

I think it is a really nice LP and goes some way to realising Andrew Loog-Oldham's dream of creating a British Pet Sounds.

Maybe I need to revisit it at some point.🤔
Joe

Im with Perkin on this,i thoroughly enjoyed that immediate cd collection of both their albums,yes some of it is very light ,but it all has "that"sound from the era,a reaL mix of light folky pop,and yes,definitely more dayglo vibes to the second album,i do agree that the covers they chose added very little to the originals,but those voices ,so english sounding,and i love the baroque touches and vibe to some of the excellent arrangements,and of course quite a bit of this would get labelled harmony pop,but theres far more going on here than that label would have you believe.Of the 28 tracks on the Sittin On A Fence cd collection,David Skinner and Andrew Rose wrote 14 of them,so these guys were not just cover singers,they were creating sounds and songs,and as Andrew Loog Oldgam produced everything they did,he spent some time and money on them,with unfortunately not a lot of major success to show for his investmet and commitment to this pair,also Del Shannon recorded some of their songs,2 which the pair did NOT release themselves, for what became the Home and Away album,that lay unreleased for many years,this was just prior to Del Shannons own psychedelic statement with the album"Further Adventures of Charles Westover",those 1967 immediate recordings produced by Andrew Loog Oldham are excellent swinging london type sunny and happy pop vignettes with marvellous arrangements,and not too dissimilar to the sound of some of the Twice As Much recordings,which is not surprising as some of the same musician played on both Dels recordings and Twice as Much recordings.Also Billy Nichols got 3 of his songs recorded by Del too!!

Ive sort of went off track a wee bit here,but i implore on you Joe to give Twice as Much another listen,they are not psychedelic,but their sound could only belong to this time and come from the UK,if need be programme your player to play all 14 of their self written tracks,they wrote some marvellous stuff,enhanced by cracking arrangements,i'll give Loog Oldgam some credit,he spared no expense in his productions,he let groups and artists experiment with new sounds,and remember Twice As Much were basically over nearing the end of 1967 ,but Immediate put together a second album "That's All"in early 1968,which in truth included 6 songs already released as single sides,As and Bs,but some of the unheard songs on this album are very good,some of the songs on this album wee well over a year old,and recorded and released in 1966,but because of the arrangements and good songwriting you wouldnt notice listening to the full album,that this was a bit of a piecemeal album,an afterthought as the pair ceased to exist as their final single was released in May 1967,this album came near a year later,and by that time financial problems started to raise its head at Immediate,as Loog OLdhams spare no expense recording sessions,some of which never even got released at the time,started to catch up along with his luxurious lifestyle and dodgy dealings,maybe this album was an attempt by Immediate to recoup some of that expense?It obviously failed as Immediate eventually went under,with most of the groups and singers on the label losing out financially big time ,which went on for decades,so who knows if Rose and Skinner ever saw any royalties from their very pleasing recordings,i know The Small Faces saw very little for many decades,even though their chart topping album Ogdens Nut Gone Flake sold massively as well as umpteen singles,again Immediate put together another piecemeal album in "The Autumn Stone"by Small Faces,which had a mix of old recordings,live recordings and newer recordings,some unfinished,but again it worked as an album to my ears!!
Finally i have an album called "Old Hat"by Uncle Dog,that is basically David Skinner from Twice As Much and Carol Grimes from jazzy prog and touches of psych outfit Delivery,they only did this one album which was released in 1971,and featured a whos who of the UK rock scene as session players basically,David Skinner wrote 6 of the 8 tracks on this album,but dont expect anything like Twice As Much pop songs,this is a bluesy rootsy,type album,in a kinda similar vein to some of Stone The Crows,or in that field,or there abouts!!Dont know what Andrew Rose got up to after Twice As Much though sadly!!!

Nice write-up Stuart I see on discogs that Carol Grimes has a decent output her album Warm Blood is a nice bluesy album its got a real nice feel to it .Check it out on YT