UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gateway to music

I've been thinking about what led me to loving the music of the late sixties and how it began. I remember buying a couple of second hand cassettes from Sellanby records and Tapes in Eastcote. Firstly, David Bowie's Pinups covers album which led me to the original versions by groups such as Pink Floyd and The Pretty things. Secondly, The Idle Race's Birthday party on the Sunset label. Both of these purchases made me realise that there was a lot more out there apart from the Beatles.various compilations followed, British Pychedelic trip, Circus days etc,leading me to more musical discoveries.

I wonder if anyone else would like to share their own gateway to the music they love

Re: Gateway to music

My first memory of music in my life was playing Jailhouse Rock on my sisters record player in my very early teens

Re: Gateway to music

My gateway to UK psych was definitely Vernon Joynson’s Tapestry of Delights which I still consider a Holy Text. I like Galactic Ramble fine, but a lot of the reviews are for “rare” albums, aimed a bit at people who are looking for obscure records. while Tapestry of Delights made me aware of the regular bands that just never got attention over the pond in the USA.
It did so much better at band discography than Rolling Stone Record Guide or even Trouser Press guides. Suddenly I could read about relatively unsuccessful albums by major bands (like Mott the Hoople’s “Wildlife” or “Mad Shadows” which were more rumors for me than albums when I was a youngster). Yup, Tapestry of Delights is still my favorite music guide of all time!