UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bread,Love and Dreams-Masquerade(track 2 from the album The Strange Tale Of Captain Shannon ...(1970

I just wanted to show my appreciation of the fabulous Scottish group Bread,Love and Dreams,in fact main songwriter David McNiven came from Edinburgh,and their self titled debut album was taped in Edinburgh,so in reality they were an Edinburgh band,my hometown and where i'll live till the call.

I just wanted to recommend all 3 albums(and all available on cd)Bread.Love and Dreams(69),The Strange Tale Of Captain Shannon and the Hunchback from Gigha(70)and Amaryllis(71,though recorded at the same time as the songs that made the album Captain Shannon),i assure you those albums are full off cracking songs,many in a more hippie style folk vibe,with embellishments of strings which basically i feel sums them up nicely,on all 3 albums,but dont expect trad folk ,this was folk mixed with pop and softer rock vibes straight from the vey late 60s and very early 70s sound!!I dont do them justice with my lame description,if you like the earthier more hippie type folk sounds,all 3 albums will be up your street!!

Finally i come to why i've posted,the track Masquerade,on album 2 Captain Shannon,and written by David Mcniven,is to my ears a late psych delight,and i don't mean just psych folk,this could fit into a late psych rock(with a touch of folk rock) compilation nicely,some cracking eerie female vocalisation add a nice touch,but this kinda rocks compared to much of their more lighter fare,with organ,bongos,full band,full drumming,heavy strumming electric guitar mix with acoustics and unusual mix of vocals,its a total winner on all fronts,like their albums.In fact at just under 5 minutes playing time,never sounds overlong or forced.

Finally i just want to add that the vocals of Angie Rew are beautiful and clear beyond belief,a sweet sound ,and definitely one of the most beautiful vocals ive heard in this sphere of late 60s early 70s folk pop sound.

Re: Bread,Love and Dreams-Masquerade(track 2 from the album The Strange Tale Of Captain Shannon ...(

Love them too, I owned all three original albums, then sold both Amaryllis and Human Beast (who covered three of their songs) for better.

never heard their McNiven/Rew's "Wildcat" though... ok .. found it here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxJSpMNqP4&ab_channel=Hwangvis