UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cataloguing

Hi Psychsters

If you have a decent size record collection you probably have some sort of system for cataloguing. If not maybe you'd like to try setting one up? Using Excel is an easy way of filing and sorting collections alphabetically. You can also add thumbnails of covers to make browsing more colourful/useful/interesting. It will take some time to gather the art, crop and size but the end result is worth the effort.

To see an example of Excel db with cover art inserted click this link http://www.mediafire.com/folder/zm3juhwkqohfss5,0qc240w6e51mkff/shared

Using a db like Access allows you to increase functionality and sort by category such as Artist, Title, Media etc

To see an example of Access db set up for this purpose click this link

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/zm3juhwkqohfss5,0qc240w6e51mkff,8tt37tnsaezf50x/shared

Creating db's can be a bit tricky. If you'd like ready-made blank templates for Access or Excel mail me and I'd be happy to supply.

PPP
Email mark_kupsz@hotmail.com

Re: Cataloguing

Have you ever looked at using discogs for cataloging? Does all that plus provides approximate value and is portable.

Re: Cataloguing

Hi Steven

Thanks for your imput. I have a collection on Discogs but it only includes the albums I've purchased via the site. I wasn't aware that you could add "non-purchased albums". Indeed I am still unable to figure out how to do this. After taking a closer look at the functionality on Discogs it appears that it has the same features of the 2 db's I talked about but combined i.e. sorts by title, artist media etc plus you can also view by covers and get pricing. As you say portability is inbuilt and there is the option to export data. I have my db's uploaded to the cloud so I also have this facility. Using Discogs does away with the need to download and size covers which I must admit is a big advantage as well as the fact that prices update automatically. In respect of my db's I like the simplicity of design and the fact that you can customize the layout, font type, background colour etc. I can see myself using both if I could figure out how I can add 7000 titles to my Discogs collection without looking each one up individually. Anyone know how?

Cheers
PPP