UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accolade-2(1971)

The group Accolade released 2 albums,they included Gordon Giltrap within their ranks,but just for the debut,that i've never heard.He doesnt appear on the second album,conveniently titled 2.This album does feature Wizz Jones guitar picker extraordinaire,whose own albums i very much enjoy.

I bought a cd reissue of the album 2,i had no idea of what to expect,none at all.This group and their albums were a mystery to me,so i was looking forward to hearing this.

I was not disapponited,i thoroughly enjoyed this album,i found it a very pleasing and quite a chilled vibe of an album,and i personally found it a rewarding listen and i'm so happy i got it.

It has a strong jazzy vibe,I know the mention of jazz can put people off,but don't let that discourage you from giving this album attention,it's in a more poppy jazz vein,but thats just one of the musical ingredients in this quite pastoral brew,of folk,acoustics,progressive pop and accessible jazzy vibes,with some wonderful flute fluttering all through this album played by Brian Cresswell,the second track "The Spider To The Spy"has a more psych tinge to it with some nice treated guitar parts,but the whole album has to be listened to,and not to be heard in a piecemeal fashion.They do a good cover of Swedish groups Made In Sweden track "Snakes In A Hole",which was the self titled track of one of their albums.

Personally i didnt dislike one track,which can be a rarity for me,while listening to it,i looked up in the book Galactic Ramble to find out a wee bit more about both their albums and the group,they say the debut album is slightly better,so i really need to hear that,but they also say the only weak thing is the vocals,i must disagree with that concerning this album,as i found the vocals by Don Partridge rather pleasant and not overbearing at all.

I'd recommend this to those who can go past psychedelia,because to my ears this is not a psychedelic album,though a wee blow of grass listening to this could be nice id imagine,even if you dislike jazz,give this a listen,think of a more acoustic Caravan,who had jazzy vibes to many of their songs,not overbearing or overblown,and only part of the story of the overall sound,so if you want to hear something a bit different but accessable,you could do worse than tuning into the sounds and vibes of this fine album.

Re: Accolade-2(1971)

Stuart Robertson
The group Accolade released 2 albums,they included Gordon Giltrap within their ranks,but just for the debut,that i\'ve never heard.He doesnt appear on the second album,conveniently titled 2.This album does feature Wizz Jones guitar picker extraordinaire,whose own albums i very much enjoy.

I bought a cd reissue of the album 2,i had no idea of what to expect,none at all.This group and their albums were a mystery to me,so i was looking forward to hearing this.

I was not disapponited,i thoroughly enjoyed this album,i found it a very pleasing and quite a chilled vibe of an album,and i personally found it a rewarding listen and i\'m so happy i got it.

It has a strong jazzy vibe,I know the mention of jazz can put people off,but don\'t let that discourage you from giving this album attention,it\'s in a more poppy jazz vein,but thats just one of the musical ingredients in this quite pastoral brew,of folk,acoustics,progressive pop and accessible jazzy vibes,with some wonderful flute fluttering all through this album played by Brian Cresswell,the second track \"The Spider To The Spy\"has a more psych tinge to it with some nice treated guitar parts,but the whole album has to be listened to,and not to be heard in a piecemeal fashion.They do a good cover of Swedish groups Made In Sweden track \"Snakes In A Hole\",which was the self titled track of one of their albums.

Personally i didnt dislike one track,which can be a rarity for me,while listening to it,i looked up in the book Galactic Ramble to find out a wee bit more about both their albums and the group,they say the debut album is slightly better,so i really need to hear that,but they also say the only weak thing is the vocals,i must disagree with that concerning this album,as i found the vocals by Don Partridge rather pleasant and not overbearing at all.

I\'d recommend this to those who can go past psychedelia,because to my ears this is not a psychedelic album,though a wee blow of grass listening to this could be nice id imagine,even if you dislike jazz,give this a listen,think of a more acoustic Caravan,who had jazzy vibes to many of their songs,not overbearing or overblown,and only part of the story of the overall sound,so if you want to hear something a bit different but accessable,you could do worse than tuning into the sounds and vibes of this fine album.
You can find the first lp here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_oM7yljqE&ab_channel=ThePoodleBites

:relaxed: