UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cat Stevens The first 2 albums,early singles,and that swinging sound production/Mike Hurst-Home

Been reading some old posts,and come across this excellent post concerning Cat Stevens 60s recordings,in particular the albums "Matthew and Son" and "Past Masters"plus the early singles and the production by producer Mike Hurst,which i think is tremendous,from the massive orchestration,to the period effects like phasing and backwards guitar etc,that can only date it to this period of UK pop from 67.....this period of Cat Stevens is so under rated,ignored by many in favour of his singer/songwriter albums from the early 70s.....which in truth i dont listen too much...his swinging 60s pop recordings always get spun....i find quite a bit of those early 70s albums in that more introspective,po faced,serious artiste recordings here,much less enjoyable!!

I must mention the 1970 solo album Mike Hurst released titled"Home",it's a cracking album with excellent arrangements,and a strong baroque vibe,it features the like of Rod Argent(The Zombies,Argent),Big Jim Sulivan,Herbie Flowers,Jon Lord(Deep Purple), John Paul Jones(Led Zeppelin)with beautiful string arrrangements by Phil Dennys.It's a topper in my opinion.......

Re: Cat Stevens The first 2 albums,early singles,and that swinging sound production/Mike Hurst-Home

I've always been keen on this period of Cat. "Here Comes My Wife" is a fascinating record. It has a couple of inspired key changes that surprise me every time I hear it. And the orchestrated backing is wonderfully grandiose. https://youtu.be/Nke4JKl8utI