UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Storm

I've been really enjoying the recent Top Sounds compilation of Billy Fury BBC sessions, Three Saturdays with Billy. He performs several numbers with a killer freakbeat combo named the Storm, about whom there appears to be precious little information other than their first names -- Jed (guitar), Peter (drums), and Tony. Anyone know anything more about them?

mb

Re: The Storm

Thanks, but I don't think it's them. For a sound sample of the crew I'm referring to, go to 1'52" here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHaBPnL6LGw

crikey that is good

Hi Michael and thanks for your kind comments re the Billy Fury album. Bit late I know but the Storm were Ged Peck, Tony Dangerfield and Pete Philips, all previously members of Screaming Lord Sutch's Savages. I found out too late for the release, thanks to Mike Stax for the info.

Billy Fury recorded some really good material in the later half of the 60s,particularly his time at Parlophone from 67-70.......and some real left of centre works too.Songs like Phone Box,Silly Boy Blue,Going Back To Germany,including some songs written by Jimmy Campbell (formerly of The Kirkbys,23rd Turnoff and be featuring in Rocking Horse),Lyanna,In My Room,I Call For My Rose,All The Way To The USA,all rather nice too!!

I have 2 cds,The Complete Parlophone Singles and the double cd set The Missing Years,mainly from his stint at Parlohone,he had little success,but much of this material is Billy doing something different,trying to move with the times i suppose.In quite a few cases he does,there's much to enjoy on those cds.Anything as good as his 67 single,Suzanne In The Mirror?Personally i think there is............

Thanks Nigel! That's great information. It looks like the Storm recorded an album without Billy, but sadly the tapes were subsequently lost. Here's hoping they turn up one day!

Well I never knew that, I hope they rurn up too!