UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Vinyl Community on youtube.

I wondered if any of you good folks watch any videos on psychedelic music on the Vinyl Community?For those who may not know what it is,it's basically music lovers who collect vinyl from all eras of all genres,but also sometimes show cds too,from all over the globe,they make lists etc of favourite albums,amongst many other things,but its basically people showing their collection,showing their new pick ups,on video,just normal folk lke us,but you have those who collect certain genres of music,and talk about it and the groups and albums they collect,show their albums and talk about them.......some of the people who do it are very knowledgable,and entertaining to watch...others not so good,but its all amateurs making videos on their phones etc,so kudos to anyone who makes the effort,it's just recently i've noticed a slight downturn in the amount of people taking part,and making videos,and it seems less are watching.......which seems to tie in with less action on here and other discussion groups...........you think this may just be a peaks an troughs situation?Where things quieten down.......then people after a wee break from it all,appear again?

Maybe overkill during those covid lockdowns?Where for the first time for many people actually had time from work to actually slow down and do things they wanted in their time?In some cases for months........You think many music enthusiasts overdosed on their hobbies? And maybe scunnered themselves with watching too many videos ,taking part in discussion groups.....and have literally burnt themselves out concerning the music they love??Resultng in this downturn on the vinyl community and discussion groups?

Im genuinely interested in what you folks think on this.Thank you.

Re: The Vinyl Community on youtube.

Hi Stuart, there is probably a a lot of substance to back your theory. People joined online groups and forums as a diversion during the pandemic for human interaction and to stop going nuts.I'm sure there will be many on this forum who could vouch for that. In my case I joined my old school discussion group, ultimately though it became clear that the guys who didn't like me 50 years ago couldn't bring themselves to have an adult discourse with me as to them, in their mind's eye, I was still that oily little snotbag they knew back then!!

Hi Stuart,
Not heard of the Vinyl community but judging from the numbers of 'uboxing' videos on Youtube every week there is still enthusiasm for sharing opinions and finds etc. Probably the pandemic caused collectors and music enthusiasts to intensify their participation on line for the sake of something to do if nothing else but once working conditions became less confined, the more prosaic demands on people's time kicked back in leaving less to leisure again. I also think it is a kind of mental health therapy to share your enthusiams at a time when it was very hard for a lot of people to cope with confinement so maybe it got over intesified for a while. Lastly, think of all that festival ticket money that didn't get used because they were all cancelled, I suspect much of it got spent on records / CDs instead!

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

I'm sure Wallace would be all over this.