UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The State Of Micky and Tommy(Mick Jones & Tommy Brown)The Johnny Hallyday Years.

Lots to read and investigate there, Stu! Very nice! I can only add that if you’re a fan of their French stuff the Francoise Hardy album sometimes entitled “Love Songs” but I think also just self-titled (the cover is red and has a picture of her face) has Micky and Tommy material. I think they helped her make most of the album, and they wrote two of the songs, including the first song on the album “If You Listen”…

Re: The State Of Micky and Tommy(Mick Jones & Tommy Brown)The Johnny Hallyday Years.

Excellent Stuart!

There were more from Françoise: the cited Strange Shadows and other two Micky/Tommy songs were include in her third English sung LP
https://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/uas29046

Bowm, Bowm, Bowm here (in French) https://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/hy30903

and as already suggested before, If You Listen and Bown, Bown, Bown here
https://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/kun65057

Thank you very much guys,yes i do have a Francoise Hardy cd titled"Midnight Blues-Paris,London/1968-72.A collection of her English language songs,released by Ace Records in 2013.

This does feature 5 compositions by Brown/Jones,tracks 1-3 from the marvellous album,one -nine-seven-zero(69) and tracks 4 -5 from Francoise Hardy(72)
1.Song of Winter
2.Magic Horse
3.Strange Shadows
4.If You Listen
5.Bown Bown Bown

All are rather exquisite i must say,obviously the vocals of Francoise Hardy certainly give them another aspect,she really has the most soothing of voices,i could quite easily slip into a trance listening to her voice.The arrangements on them are rather tasty too.

Another thing which has me intrigued is the name Pierre Tubbs,who is credited on 4 songs on one-nine-seven-zero,he from the psych studio outfit Pierres Plastic Dream who recorded such psych wonders as "Encapsulated Marigold,Someone Turned The Light Out,A Little Bit Shangrila and the orchestrated wonder of The Owl with "Shades of Blue and Greenwater Flies"and"Run To The Sun",so very interesting listening to this Francoise Hardy cd.So thank you to you both for mentioning Francoise Hardy.

Now to search out the Sylvie Vartan cds i have,as i'm sure she must have recorded Mick Jones and Tommy Brown compositions.

As a follow on to this thread started a over a year ago,i made NO mention of the album by Thomas F. Browne,"Wednesdays Child"released on Vertigo with the swirl,in 1971,as this features BOTH Micky and Tommy,and is an album i have NOT heard.

I have read less than complimentary reviews on it,including one by Richie Unterberger,who seems a hard man to please with any genre of music,in particular much psychedelia from the 60s,for a man who seems to cover psychedelia a fair bit,he doesn't seem to rate much of it.

Anyway,he IS just one man,and like any other critic,it's only their view,but it seems their view does carry some traction like any "professional"critic or commentator!!I prefer to hear something myself,and make my own mind up.

For some reason,i've NOT got round to hearing the Thomas F Browne album,i dont even know if it's ever been reissued on vinyl or cd since 1971,but i will have a wee search tonight.
I AM interested in hearing the views from the good people on here who HAVE heard this album,or maybe even have it,so could YOU be so kind as to leave ANY feedback on "Wednesdays Child"by Thomas F Browne,as i am interested in its sound and vibe,and if it is available as a cd reissue,i WILL purchase if its a decent price.
Thank you folks!!

I own a US copy of TFB LP, anyway I see it on Soulseek, let me know if you don't find or can't download