UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: From Morden To Wimbledon CD / LP

Shame Brexit... I've got most Top Sounds CDs in the past... now is notmorepossible unless I find a cheap copy here in EU :zipper_mouth_face:

Hi Gian, my distributor is picking up a consignment of LPs and CDs tomorrow, Clearspot in the Netherlands for example will be stocking both formats.

Just want to express my admiration and gratitude for this release. A UK psych comp of all unheard tunes is an extinct species, so for those of us whose love of UK psych evolved through comps such as Choc Soup, Rubble and Perfumed Garden this is a waking dream.

While these bands didn't have the benefit of huge studio budgets and high production values, I think it gives these tunes an honesty and rawness that creates a unique astmosphere and allows us to somehow get closer to the fertilizastion of the British psychedelic egg. There are some genuine classics here too, some that would be at the top of the league for collectors had they been released on 45. But they weren't, they only semi-existed in the shady netherworld of acetates, one or two-off recordings that wear and damage so easily, by rights none of them should have survived. And they would have been lost forever.

This comes across as a real labour of love from a genuine enthusiast. The sound quality is amazing and a lot of work must have gone into restoring these recordings. Also, as with all Top Sounds stuff, it is so well designed and made, it looks like a work of art entirely in keeping with the era it celebrates. I also think whoever shared the acetates needs celebrating, this stuff could be sat on by hoarding collectors while gathering dust only to be dumped in a skip when the grim reaper comes knocking. These have been generously shared, and for that we should all be very grateful.

Praise be to Top Sounds and please, if there is any more, keep them coming.

Here, here to all that H45 (much affirmative fist thumping on desk). Both Tinsel Arcade titles are equal to The Tickle or One In A Million rarities , real jewels, whilst the first Unknown Artist side 'Little Red House' would be a prize possession of any Mod DJ, its grooviness and late flowering dancability make it a no brainer for a Mousetrap dancefloor. Everything else on this set is also really enjoyable. The 'tried my hardest' type of lyrics on The Phaze's 'Long Hair Dirty Shoes' blend linguistic naivety and a sub-cultural assertion of identity so that you're not quite sure if this is a Bonzo Dog Band type piss-take or a genuine youthful attempt at expressing a sideways comment on straight society. I'm going to immerse myself in the (as usual) substantial accompanying booklet today. Really well done Nigel and whoever owns those Oak acettes, many, many thanks for sharing. Is it too much to hope for a third installment???

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Paul, thank you for your kind comments, and the same salutations to Stuart and Lewis at Hapening45 for their wonderful appreciations of the album. Whilst there is more OAK stuff unreleased (quite a lot actually) it would be difficult to theme a third OAK comp and keep up the quality of the two I've done. But there will be stray OAK titles on future comps, so watch this space as they say.
Thank you again all
Cheers!
Nigel

Good to know you'll be doing more comps Nigel. Having played Morden to Wimbledon again, I realise I got my Tinsel Arcades mixed up! It is indeed their second offering'Life Does Not Seem What it Seems' that is the psych fest. Thier first offering 'Baby You've Got it' is a freakbeat keeper that sits well next to 'Little Red House' as a modernist floor filler. Listening to The Phaze's second offering 'The Other Side' (not The Apple track) reminds the listener strongly of The Game's 'The Addicted Man'. Lastly, the CD only 'unknown Artist' five minute long track 16 'Take Your Love Away From Me' sounds like an in development song by Ten Years After. It's a Wonderful comp all round anyway.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

nigel lees
Hi Gian, my distributor is picking up a consignment of LPs and CDs tomorrow, Clearspot in the Netherlands for example will be stocking both formats.
Hi Nigel, good to know, will check ;)