UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starry Eyed and Laughing new album

New album of original material that sound slike it's vintage Byrds just like their original albums. From:

https://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/bells-of-lightning.htm

'Lost Highway' tack from the album (there's a 'Star Wars' like rolling script that preceeds it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dOOy-w6Cm8

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

Re: Starry Eyed and Laughing new album

I just noticed there's an August 2021 date on the SE&L web page for this album, so maybe it's been out for a while though I think it might have only been digitally initially and the CD / LP are now available? Anyway check it out the songs are lovely.

P:relaxed: M

lost highway sails a little bit too close to 'rock n roll star' for me

I really don't want to sound like a music snob or a pompous know it all twat,ive a few cds ,where there are,new recordings by the group added onto the reissue off an album from 71 for example,i''l let the 2 new recorded tracks play,but i'll never listen to them again, likewise with say a Ruperts People cd collection which has a reunion concert on it with new songs,from the 90s.....ive listened to it once out of respect for those playing......but i've never listened to it again,same with The Sorrows i think it is,a live gig with unrecorded songs included,again i listened out of respect for the players........but never again.......it's NOT the reason i bought those cds,it was for their original 60s recordings..........of course the addition of new recorded tracks being inccluded in any older reissue,or collection,is a personal choice to listen to them,but ME ,i'll be honest and usually dont,i usually skip them,i'm the same when groups like The Chocolate Watchband or Electric Prunes released new albums a few years ago....ill be honest and say i had no interest in them,
That's just me and my weird way of thinking,its the way much off recorded music sounds from the 60s and early 70s to me,whether its the analogue equipment used,the players being young and hungry and still having a spark of rebellion,and using new techniques to make sounds and effects,its just the whole sound is really differnt and cant be copied no matter how many have come close.......too hear those same musicians recording new albums,in todays technology has NO interest for me,it might be ignorance because i do love Starry Eyed and Laughing records from 47 years ago,but i know i wont buy this new one,but i would go and see them in a gig....ass i think a live experience and a recorded experience are differnt..........but thats just my opinion guys......it really doesnt count too much,but thats how i ride!!!Cheers.

I take your point Stuart and I often feel the same about some albums / bands. Listening to this new SE&L album though to my ears anyway sounds just like they did 40 years ago or pretty much so. It doesn't sound 'modern' in production terms though perhaps others think it does. I could easily listen to it a smuch and in the same sitting as their 70s output. I also really liked the Long Riders 2019 album 'Psychedelic Country Soul'. OK they were playing on the sound they are known for from the 80s in the title to sell it I suppose but it is a very enjoyable album. I'm not a fan of slavish musical tributes but I don't know anyone else still currently playing in this wonderful style as closely to the Byrds sound (cue ecxamples of just such bands etc) and it is a sound I am more than happy to hear new songs written in the style of. I can see why SE&L formed in the first place to perpetuate exactly this sound which they are still doing. More power to them.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

I've had interesting discussions with friends about bands from 'back in the day' starting to record again, there seems to be a real surge going on. The concensus is that the songwriting and musicianship is mostly well up to expectations and that, on occasion, the element that takes most getting used to is the vocals which inevitably are more gruff and lower octave than in their heyday.

Paul,thank you for your comments,believe it or not,i got an e mail from Tony Poole,from Starry Eyed and Laughing,because i had dealt with him before ,as he was doing cds of Starry Eyed and Laughing unreleased material that was as you'd expect absolutely marvellous.......this group should've been huge.....it's like when you ask yourself about the uk Kaleidoscope/Fairfield Parlour,great material .....but did very little commercially,Starry Eyed and Laughing fall into that category,extremely strong material,brilliantly played with a real west coast Byrdsy vibe to some off it,but there's far more than the often Byrds comparison...though they have that 12 string to a T.It's trully puzzling when genuinely talented groups ewho gave their all and wotked hard,come away with very little,but at least their efforts and talent will be heard forever..........